When the '4 Chord' is Minor

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4983
A friend showed me the chords for a song he is learning: 'Sad Cafe' by the Eagles.  This has the progression, B, E minor, F#, B.  The expected chords would be, B, E, F#, B.  The 4 Chord is minor in that song.  Likewise in 'Man of the World' by Peter Green, D, A, G minor, A, D.

Interesting how the playing of the 4 Chord in minor changes the mood and feel of the song [compared to playing it in major].  Perhaps some of our theory experts like @Viz might jump in and explain what is happening.  My theory knowledge is basic  but improving slightly....  Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10410
    It’s a classic trick used by Beatles , Radiohead and all kinds of bands. 
    It’s a borrowed chord, from the minor scale, very effective 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The trick when it comes to using the 4 minor chord is to play it after the 4 major in a chord progression - and yep - there it is - you'll have heard the sound in countless hits.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    I understand it as a modification of the Rhythm Changes, where you would move from the IV chord to the I chord via a iv chord.

So, 

F major / F minor / | C / / /  ||

• vizviz Frets: 10696
    edited September 2022
    As others have said. And I really like the long violin diad at the end of Oasis Look Back in Anger - it’s a lovely example. 4:20 here:

https://youtu.be/cmpRLQZkTb8

The only thing I can usefully add is that quite a lot of music in a major key has a minor 4 chord, not as the IV - iv thing, but as part of the mode. It happens to exist as the 5th mode of melodic minor (also called mixolydian b6), which has I ii(dim) iii(dim) iv v bVI(aug) bVII. It’s in loads of Duran Duran and Rachmaninov. 

The other nice thing in a IV-iv-I is to switch the iv with a bVII13. Like if you were doing D - Dm - A, you’d do D - G13 - A, where the G13 is 3 x 3 4 5 x. It’s not as tragic as the iv but it has a certain tenderness. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm trying to think how to word this as my chord naming skills are a bit out of practice. But generally whenever I play something on piano where the minor iv chord is used in a major key, as I often find it a bit overused, I tend to use the 7th chord of the flattened 7th note, if that makes sense.

So say we are in G, instead of using a Cm as the iv chord, I would use F7, perhaps with an added 9th (g note). Probably quite similar to Viz's D->G13 thing
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    edited September 2022
    Precisely the same!

In terms of overused, Rachmaninov’s entire 3rd piano concerto (apart from the main theme) and 4th concerto use it. It infuses the whole piece. It’s a bit unsettling because you keep expecting it to resolve up a 4th. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    viz said:
    As others have said. And I really like the long violin diad at the end of Oasis Look Back in Anger - it’s a lovely example. 4:20 here:

https://youtu.be/cmpRLQZkTb8

The only thing I can usefully add is that quite a lot of music in a major key has a minor 4 chord, not as the IV - iv thing, but as part of the mode. It happens to exist as the 5th mode of melodic minor (also called mixolydian b6), which has I ii(dim) iii(dim) iv v bVI(aug) bVII. It’s in loads of Duran Duran and Rachmaninov. 

The other nice thing in a IV-iv-I is to switch the iv with a bVII13. Like if you were doing D - Dm - A, you’d do D - G13 - A, where the G13 is 3 x 3 4 5 x. It’s not as tragic as the iv but it has a certain tenderness. 
    Is this the one that’s called a “back door resolution”?
    edited September 2022
    Indeed!

Although strictly speaking the proper correct one is iv-bVII7-I. Like in the 2nd line of Misty. “Cloud” at 00:30

https://youtu.be/rPOlakkBlj8

I’m saying it’s also just as lovely in a IV-bVII7-I. Or indeed a IV-bVII-vi, like after “nipping at your nose” in The Christmas Song, at 1:59 in this EXCELLENT rundown by Joel McCray of the chords of this gorgeous song.