Bass tone help

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27133
edited September 2022 in Bass
Ok, so the "work band" is going well so far and I'm getting used to paying bass with other people. 

I'm trying to get everything sounding as good as possible from my end and hoping for some guidance. 

This vid is a great benchmark P bass tone, and looks like a Nobel preamp into an Aguilar AG700. I do not have those (and don't really want to spend any money at this stage!) but I have an HX Stomp and a bunch of guitar pedals, and the "P with flats" bit is covered. I've been using the B15 amp model with LA Studio comp in front and a little bit of DOD Looking Glass for a little bit of rasp when I want it. EQ is pretty much flat, save for a dropoff below 50Hz

Any suggestions together nail this "fat but not wooly" thing? Different comp, more extreme EQ?

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The best bass sounds in history have no amp. Direct into the board with a good compressor.

So, remove the amp model completely. Use the compressor of your choice and put an EQ block in.

EQ it so it’s a bit too bright for your tastes… and then back the tone off on the bass until it’s fat enough.

If you do want a little grit, then use the Tube Preamp model first in the chain, more like an old valve desk.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a few P Basses set up with various types of strings.
    Live I would use a straight-sounding but powerful amp and play with a medium to soft touch. No comp unless just to limit the odd peak. I like flats for this, but also use rounds with the tone turned almost right down on the bass (until it sounds best).
    Recording I use a 64 P Bass with rounds, and the tone off. I shape my sound with compression, as the tone from that bass is correct for any track, be it electro, rock or soul.
    As Fretmeister says, tube preamp first and shape it with compression, no rules for this, but start with a preset. It takes ages to get where you want, and you will find it is simpler than you think.
    A lot of tone is from your right hand, of course (if you are a right hander, that is). If you are looking for twang, please don't, that's where the trouble starts.

• Ta, will try that. I quickly threw a patch together with the B15 preamp then LA comp and EQ and that sounds great. WIll try the tube preamp and see which I prefer. 
  • Best bit about the Helix - there are no guitar amps or bass amps. There are just sound processing blocks.

Try them all. In the "wrong" order too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Best bit about the Helix - there are no guitar amps or bass amps. There are just sound processing blocks.

Try them all. In the "wrong" order too.
    Haha very true though I really need to not go nuts with options!
  • Any suggestions to nail this "fat but not wooly" thing? Different comp, more extreme EQ?
    Yeah. Play with yo' fingers rather than a plectrum.

Maybe, even, try the James Jamerson "claw" one finger technique. This approach limits how many notes you can sound at the same time, hopefully ensuring that you choose only the best ones.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Any suggestions to nail this "fat but not wooly" thing? Different comp, more extreme EQ?
    Yeah. Play with yo' fingers rather than a plectrum.

Maybe, even, try the James Jamerson "claw" one finger technique. This approach limits how many notes you can sound at the same time, hopefully ensuring that you choose only the best ones.
    Yep - I'm already committed to fingers 95% of the time unless I really need that pick sound. Helps with muting at both ends as well :)
  • On the helix I would try 
    B15 > high and low eq > studio comp

the high low eq let’s you use a HPF to cut off the subs, and also roll off as one of the highs. 

Putting the studio comp at the end let’s you get the b15 in a sweet spot where your playing dynamics push it into mild overdrive if you dig in
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Many of The best bass sounds in history have no amp. 
    Fixed that for you
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    axisus said:
    The best bass sounds in history used a West Fillmore head. 
    Fixed that for you
    re fixed that
  • Final-ish update on this for now. I gave up on the HX for the gig and bought an Origin Bassrig 64 Black Panel. Super easy setup, sounds great on basically every combination of settings and nails the classic P thing.

What's really amazing is I was chatting with the bassist from the best other band on the night and he was in awe of my tone, to the point that he was like "look at this video - you made it sound like this!" and it was the very same video I posted up top, so I'll take that as "Mission Accomplished"!! :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24446
    Final-ish update on this for now. I gave up on the HX for the gig and bought an Origin Bassrig 64 Black Panel. Super easy setup, sounds great on basically every combination of settings and nails the classic P thing.

What's really amazing is I was chatting with the bassist from the best other band on the night and he was in awe of my tone, to the point that he was like "look at this video - you made it sound like this!" and it was the very same video I posted up top, so I'll take that as "Mission Accomplished"!! :)
    I really don't want to spend that type of money on a pedal!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27133
    edited November 2022
    Final-ish update on this for now. I gave up on the HX for the gig and bought an Origin Bassrig 64 Black Panel. Super easy setup, sounds great on basically every combination of settings and nails the classic P thing.

What's really amazing is I was chatting with the bassist from the best other band on the night and he was in awe of my tone, to the point that he was like "look at this video - you made it sound like this!" and it was the very same video I posted up top, so I'll take that as "Mission Accomplished"!!
    I really don't want to spend that type of money on a pedal!
    Haha. I didn't either. But now I want the SVT one as well...!!  

I can justify the first one in the name of "I will never need a bass amp", but a second is much harder! 
    That's the thing - my jazz band doesn't use a PA at all so I have to keep my traditional rig. We only have bass and electric piano with amplification.

I haven't got that excuse.
    Sticky - next time you rehearse, have a go at nailing Dusty's bass tone from my other thread if you would be so kind!

If that Origin box can do it I might have to start saving some pennies!
  • Sticky - next time you rehearse, have a go at nailing Dusty's bass tone from my other thread if you would be so kind!

If that Origin box can do it I might have to start saving some pennies!
    Happy to. It can def get close at home volumes. Will see about recording smth
    You are a scholar and a gentleman!
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7808

As a bass player in the past, I would say that as long as it sounds like a bass and you're not too loud or too quiet pretty much no-one cares unless you stop playing.

I was once asked by a lady at an open mic night if I was playing, when I replied I was playing bass for one of the acts she said "well at least you're joining in" . . .
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_C said:

As a bass player in the past, I would say that as long as it sounds like a bass and you're not too loud or too quiet pretty much no-one cares unless you stop playing.

I was once asked by a lady at an open mic night if I was playing, when I replied I was playing bass for one of the acts she said "well at least you're joining in" . . .
    I agree no-one cares directly about the nth degree of awesome bass tone. But my god do they notice when a band sounds great vs a band that doesn't. 

Our gig last week was a perfect example of it - most bands were way too loud, heavy bass and either muffled or squealy guitars. We had a much more subtle mix and it's obvious from the videos of both (and comments from the crowd on the night) that we had the extra "something".

Non-musos don't understand it, but they sure as hell know when it's not there
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Yeah the mix is a cumulative effect of lots of little things