Fender Short Scale Bass

What's Hot
TDubsTDubs Frets: 707
Reluctantly took up bass duties in a new project with some mates but found myself really enjoying it. I think this is possibly been because I’ve been leant a short scale Fender Mustang bass and I’ve found it a lot easier to play than my other bass experiences.

This will stem from my guitar routes but prefer guitars with a nitro finish over poly. Have seen the JMJ bass that has a nitro finish which I like

https://www.fender.com/en-GB/electric-basses/mustang-bass/jmj-road-worn-mustang-bass/0144060390.html

But then have seen Fender do a mustang bass with an added P/J style pickup which appeals from a flexibility of sound perspective.

https://www.fender.com/en-GB/electric-basses/mustang-bass/limited-edition-player-mustang-bass-pj-surf-green/0140118557.html

However this model and the American performer are poly/lacquer finish.

Is anyone aware of a past or present Fender short scale bass model that has a nitro finish with the dual pickup (mustang and P/J) configuration?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’ve got the JMJ Bass in black, I use it regularly for country stuff and in my heavy shoegaze band, it seems to do everything, the pick-up is great, I just swap between flats and rounds and it has massive sonic difference. Had J and P basses before it and ditched them all, really can’t say enough good things about it! 

In answer to your question, best bet is probably looking at recent FSR stuff, possibly getting an import model, most of the historic mustang basses in nitro finish have the split coil pickup a la the JMJ bass.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd ask on Basschat - there's a thread dedicated to shorties and there's some guys on there who are very knowledgeable about this stuff.
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 707
    Thanks @louis_LLM the FSRs I’ve seen are noted as gloss finish I think. Good to hear your positive feedback on the JMJ.

Will check out Basschat @fretmeister in fact I think I may have stumbled across that site the other day when I was researching!
  • If it doesn't have to be a Fender, then Sandberg make an excellent Shortscale - the Lionel.

The Lionel VS4 is a P bass type and the Lionel VT4 is a PJ type. They are available in gloss and matt finishes. Might need to be an order to get exactly what you want though.

I have one in the build queue. Delivery next March / April. Can't wait!
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5630
    I wouldn't worry about nitro or poly on a bass - it's not like it's a proper guitar.

Whatever you do with that Mustang, get some La Bella strings on it:

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/string-sets-c865/bass-guitar-c34/la-bella-760f-mus-stainless-steel-flat-wound-30-scale-fender-mustang-bass-43-104-p9677
    Brize said:
    I wouldn't worry about nitro or poly on a bass - it's not like it's a proper guitar.

@Brize could you elaborate on this point?

and do those strings make that much of a difference given they are two or three times more expensive than others that are available?
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5630
    TDubs said:
    Brize said:

@Brize could you elaborate on this point?

and do those strings make that much of a difference given they are two or three times more expensive than others that are available?
    It was slightly tongue in cheek, but the nitro/poly isn't going to affect the tone so it doesn't seem like an important point in your choice of instrument.

Those strings transformed my Mustang but your experience may differ.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    edited September 2022
    My advice would be to get the original single-pickup Mustang Bass, in a nitro finish if you like that.

The PJ one looks like it should have more sounds and flexibility, but in practice they’re somehow too much of a good thing on a short-scale bass - it’s like there’s too much going on frequency-wise and they sound muddy and confused, especially on the P pickup. I’ve played several of them and they’ve all been like it - even just using the J pickup, they don’t sound “right”.

The ‘Pawnshop’ one they did a few years ago with a Wide Range humbucker was the same - overblown and muddy - I had one which I rewired the pickup to parallel, which was much better but still not as good as the classic Mustang. The traditional small single pickup has more clarity and just sounds more musical - versatility can come from the way you play it, like a P Bass but smaller.

To be honest even the cheap Squier Bronco Bass with its single-coil guitar pickup under a plain cover sounds better than the PJ Mustang…! I recently helped a friend buy a bass and the choice was between those two - he bought the Squier, and not just because it was literally a quarter of the price, it actually sounded better.

I would also add that personally I wouldn't put flatwounds on a Mustang, even the La Bellas - I haven't tried those, but Mustangs I've played with other flats in the past just sound muffled and lack clarity between the notes. Much more so than a 34" scale they need brighter and more responsive strings to get the definition. On the other hand I do play more punky music (with a pick) and I need the attack - like a lot of players in the 1970s seemed to, I like a Mustang because it's the Fender which sounds closest to a Rickenbacker in some ways :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @ICBM your comments, on pickups, seems to align with other comments I’ve read whilst digging around.

There also seems to be a lot of love for the JMJ series Mustang especially the pickups.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The JMJ has a different neck to the others - it's more like a traditional P bass neck. The others are more jazz like.

Hopefully that suits you. I like the look of the black relic one but I prefer a smaller neck.
    edited September 2022
    The JMJ has a different neck to the others - it's more like a traditional P bass neck. The others are more jazz like.

Hopefully that suits you. I like the look of the black relic one but I prefer a smaller neck.
    @fretmeister the bass i'm borrowing (and am enjoying) is a squier mustang bass. When you say 'others' do you mean the mustang i'm using is like a jazz neck? So, like you, I seem to like a small neck so a JMJ may not work for me as it has a P bass neck?

Not many JMJs around so trying one is going to be tricky!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited September 2022
    This slightly modded Squier Bronco is excellent
    Rail humbucker and Hipshot Ultralights, the tuners cost almost as much as the Bass!

Great fun and surprisingly good out of the box, highly underrated and cheap as chips

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2296
    And pretty cool in a trimmed back rock and roll way
  • Squier modified SS Jaguar bass from around 10 years ago. Brilliant, and has P/J pickups, nice neck. I have a 76 Mustang and this thing is just as good. Cost me £192 brand new and was in tune when it arrived. Never changed a thing.
  • TDubs said:
    The JMJ has a different neck to the others - it's more like a traditional P bass neck. The others are more jazz like.

@fretmeister the bass i'm borrowing (and am enjoying) is a squier mustang bass. When you say 'others' do you mean the mustang i'm using is like a jazz neck? So, like you, I seem to like a small neck so a JMJ may not work for me as it has a P bass neck?

Not many JMJs around so trying one is going to be tricky!
    Is it the Classic Vibe one?

That has a 38.1mm nut - jazz type. The JMJ is 41.3 like a P bass
    Is it the Classic Vibe one?

That has a 38.1mm nut - jazz type. The JMJ is 41.3 like a P bass
    Not sure but I’ve measured the nut and it’s 38.1mm.

Every days a school day!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    Zoonyboy said:
    Squier modified SS Jaguar bass from around 10 years ago. Brilliant, and has P/J pickups, nice neck. I have a 76 Mustang and this thing is just as good. Cost me £192 brand new and was in tune when it arrived. Never changed a thing.
    I’d forgotten those - you’re right, they sound very good, definitely better than the PJ Mustang, I think the active circuit helps a lot.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    If it doesn't have to be a Fender, then Sandberg make an excellent Shortscale - the Lionel.

The Lionel VS4 is a P bass type and the Lionel VT4 is a PJ type. They are available in gloss and matt finishes. Might need to be an order to get exactly what you want though.

@fretmeister did you order direct or can you tell me which dealer you used?
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4931
    I've got a MIM Mustang which I rather like; the other short scale I'd consider is a Gibson EB3 (aka. SG).
  • chris45 said:
    If it doesn't have to be a Fender, then Sandberg make an excellent Shortscale - the Lionel.

@fretmeister did you order direct or can you tell me which dealer you used?
    @chris45

I ordered through Classic and Cool guitars on recommendation from the Basschat massive.

https://classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/sandberg-new-basses/

We went through the exact specs I wanted including ones that are not available on the configurator, and I've paid a £250 deposit. Balance to be paid when it's built and ready to be delivered.