Playing live with a laptop/VSTs/midi keyboard and ?

What's Hot
What are your thoughts on playing live with a standard laptop and synth plugins.When recording I would always use an audio interface such as the focusrite scarlet. 
In a live scenario, it would just be a case of taking an audio out from the interface right? Should I go into a DI box to further “boost” the sound?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10415
    I used to gig with a Macbook Pro running mainstage. This is a very popular live rig. Although you can go direct from your audio interface to the PA I would recommend a simple transformer DI box simply to protect your interface from damage from the possibility of phantom power left on the channel by the venue. 

After 20 gigs or so though I switched to a Korg synth, it was just easier to gig. Doesn't sound as fat as Mainstage and is harder to program but looks better onstage and is quicker to set up. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    I wouldn't want to gig that kind of setup at the dog and duck.

I'd be inclined to grab an sh workstation. They are often very cheap and much more chuckable.
  • What are your thoughts on playing live with a standard laptop and synth plugins.When recording I would always use an audio interface such as the focusrite scarlet. 
    In a live scenario, it would just be a case of taking an audio out from the interface right? Should I go into a DI box to further “boost” the sound?
    A lot of faff!  

Get a Roland DS61 or a VR09 (if you want  better organs/drawbars etc). 

I have both , and a yamaha YC73 for posh gigs..   
    although as I tend to use hammond am selling the DS61 but its a better workstation than the VR09.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3132
    edited September 2022
    I experience more problems at gigs with people using laptops than those using hardware synths. If your system is properly sorted and you are 100% familiar with it then cool go for it. The important thing for using it at gigs is that your sound output, how you plug your device into the Pa,  must be via 1/4 Jack or xlr or you must carry adaptors to make it so, or as Danny says your own di box. This is a practical request as the person supplying the Pa may not have alternative input types. Nb there are Di boxes now which accept USB audio,

Also always remember to turn the volume on the computer and interface up when setting up!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Microkorg it is then ! haha! I would be nervous using this setup to be honest, just plugging this in and that in etc. The less things to plug in, the better for me!
  • My two guitar vox duo has 2 microkorgs . They are brilliant 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    edited November 2022
    Everyone should have one of these within reach:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/art-dti