Pirate studios

What's Hot
flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
Does anyone in the know know what the issue is with Pirate studios not having a functioning booking system just now? It's just been showing an error message on their website for days 

Is it just an IT issue or are they in trouble?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm booked in for this coming Tuesday (Salford) for the Showcase Room.  I've logged on and I can see my booking ok but this booking was made last week.
  • Does anyone in the know know what the issue is with Pirate studios not having a functioning booking system just now? It's just been showing an error message on their website for days 

Is it just an IT issue or are they in trouble?
    Getting hung from the yardarm of a Royal Navy frigate was always a risk they took.

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    Just realised it seems to be a browser issue if you use Brave. Booking still open for other browsers
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    used them throughout lockdown - where legal - but local Liverpool one soon became a party palace for DJs n their "fans" after restrictions lifted   - shame liked concept and recording facility - but no onsite mgt meant it was open house for idiots .. wont use now despite their discounts etc ... hope yours is better managed .
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    That's a shame.

I've seen no such issues in our one. There are a couple of DJ rooms but it seems to be always bands and the rooms have always be in fine condition.
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    edited December 2023
    The Pirate studio in Edinburgh has gone down hill big time.   When it opened it was clean and the equipment was decent. The place feels dirty all the time now and the equipment has gone to the dogs. That's not just my opinion but many local musos have said the same thing for some time.   The toilets absolutely stink there lol

What's your local one like?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJP said:
    The Pirate studio in Edinburgh has gone down hill big time.   When it opened it was clean and the equipment was decent. The place feels dirty all the time now and the equipment has gone to the dogs. That's not just my opinion but many local musos have said the same the some time.   The toilets absoltutely stink there lol :)

What's your local one like?
     The Edinburgh one is also full of "DJs" playing at insane volumes which bleed through into the other rooms.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @ElectricXII true, some serious volume with those guys!   Good luck getting parked there as well.
  • JMP220478 said:
    used them throughout lockdown - where legal - but local Liverpool one soon became a party palace for DJs n their "fans" after restrictions lifted   - shame liked concept and recording facility - but no onsite mgt meant it was open house for idiots .. wont use now despite their discounts etc ... hope yours is better managed .
    Yup, that was the one I used to use but its just become a drug den now. 
  • I used the Brum one a few years ago. It was fine but it seemed so open to abuse it was difficult to see it as a viable model although it's still there so what do I know. They do have a zero tolerance policy to drugs, alcohol, smoking and vaping (via CCTV) but from the above comments little sense that is enforced. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
    I use the Salford site every couple of months when we’re working on additions to the set.  It’s ok although parking can be an issue when Man United are at home as the business park hires out parking.  I can’t comment on the gear as we use our own.

They did implement a policy earlier this year where you had to pre-register everyone who was attending and you were expected to bring photo ID (although this was never checked).
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    I used the Brum one a few years ago. It was fine but it seemed so open to abuse it was difficult to see it as a viable model although it's still there so what do I know. They do have a zero tolerance policy to drugs, alcohol, smoking and vaping (via CCTV) but from the above comments little sense that is enforced. 
    i haven't used the brum one it in ages but someone recently told me they have a bouncer checking bags n stuff now. plus it also smells like an open sewer, rooms aren't adequately soundproofed, there's never the right gear in the rooms, fire alarms interrupting sessions. i wouldn't bother now, there are other hourlys around. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The Edinburgh Pirate stinks of weed and poo lol.
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
    The one by me in Hackney Wick has always been alright, I use it in the afternoons mostly tho. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Nottingham one is better than these others by the sounds of it, but I never really enjoy being there - has an odd atmosphere vacuum somehow
  • Leicester one is horrid. Hate them. Windowless Chipboard hell boxes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJP said:
    The Edinburgh Pirate stinks of weed and poo lol.
    I’ve not been for a few years now but it used to be OK, the problem I had was it was always dingy as hell and you couldn’t see anything :) parking as noted a pain also. Where do you go now @AndyJP ?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    Nottingham is OK now that the toilet doors have been replaced. The PA works. We obviously bring our own mics. We use a four hour slot one per month.

The drum kits can be a pain. I think there is only one occasion when we’ve not had to rebuild/repair the drum kit.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • AirmilesAirmiles Frets: 41
    edited December 2023
    Brighton/Hove was decent (freshly refurbished when we went post lockdown - the latest design has decent soundproofing treatment in the corners) , but Earlsfield was and is tired, tatty, with no corner treatment and with buzzy wiring - won't be using again unless/until refurbished, and that just for solo  practice at volume - there are nicer options for rehearsal.
  • BodBod Frets: 1301
    Leicester one is horrid. Hate them. Windowless Chipboard hell boxes. 

Leicester used to be good, and was a massive improvement on StayFree when it opened, but it's really gone downhill.  The problem is that the equipment just gets abused, especially the drums.  I haven't practiced locally for a while but Quad Studios were always a cut above the rest, although it's pricey and used to be really difficult to get a slot.  It was the first practice room I'd played where they actually tuned the drums.