I Don't Play Loud Music At Lunch

What's Hot
Sat with a cuppa now and just decided to watch this RB masterclass because I know absolutely feqqall about music theory.

For whatever reason this video has switched the light on and I can see/understand like never before.

For most folks on tFB this is probably a waste of your time because it's probably Tom Noddy stuff for you ... but perhaps there's a few others out there who might just benefit a tad?

For me it's a worthy watch just for the title of this thread ...  all will be revealed :+1: 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I know some people don't get on with Rick's content but he's a great teacher.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    He's really clear and always starts from the beginning, which is great.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I'm a big fan of Rick, I find him likeable, entertaining and full of great knowledge. 

I watched his "why this track is great" (is that what the series is called?) on Roundabout by Yes, a track I love, and it really enhanced the song for me!

Anyway, thanks for posting this, look like just what I need right now!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    er ... what's with the post title???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's the mnemonic from within the video :+1: 
  • stufisher said:
    It's the mnemonic from within the video :+1: 
    Modes innit
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Prefer “ I don’t particularly like modes a lot”

:)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    sev112 said:
    Prefer “ I don’t particularly like modes a lot”

:)

Haha that's so British

My music theory is pretty good, though not at @viz's level. I've watched a few RB theory vids to recap/fill in gaps and I really enjoy the way he explains things 
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 707
    Really useful recap for my rusty theory! Cheers for sharing. I'm tempted to get the Beato Book but wonder whether it'd be way over my head...
    edited September 2022
    You can also think of modes from most raised to most lowered. Some people prefer that. In which case, you can think of that lovely golden dappled light that you get shining through lime trees.

I call that lime-dapple, or LIM DAP L. 

Lydian
    Ionian
    Mixolydoan

Dorian
    Aeolian
    Phrygian

Locrian
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • I made one up many years ago which was In Days Past Lord Mellie Ad Lunch. Doesn’t mean anything but it stuck in my head and if I have reason to think about modes I have to go through that in my head! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Benm39 said:
    Really useful recap for my rusty theory! Cheers for sharing. I'm tempted to get the Beato Book but wonder whether it'd be way over my head...
    I’d search for a couple of YT reviews before investing. ‘The ramblings of a mad man’ I think was a recent comment I read. I do like Rick but I believe the book is a brain dump which might be disappointing. However if you just want to give him some support without great expectations of the book then it might be fine. 
  • allenallen Frets: 707
    A man with 3.15 million subscribers on youtube probably doesn't need much 'support'.
  • I think he's a great teacher but his style of teaching seems a bit 'shouty' and 'I dont suffer fools gladly' to me. In his defence he has said he's partially deaf,which might explain why.
  • I've spotted the subsequent RB Masterclasses on theory so I've posted them below in case anyone wants to work through them. 

IMHO part 2 is unnecessarily confusing and repetitive in parts. I haven't had time to assess part 3 yet.

Hope someone finds these useful.

Stu

^ I think he must have been really tired in that second one, he's throwing stuff in in a really ad-hoc fashion, I don't think he prepared for this at all. I would recommend episode 1, but episode 2 is terrible.