B string woes

What's Hot
I have a couple of guitars where the B string (why the B string defeats me) will buzz when I dig in a bit - as I need to do to play a lead line over a couple of others playing chords.

Took them to my pet luthier and, to my surprise, he slacked the truss rod. That worked on one but the other (PRS SE A40e) still buzzes on the lower frets. The truss rod is at the limit of its adjustment - only just nipped up. Do I need a fret dress or a new nut? Is there another way to get it working like it used to.

Incidentally, this seemed to happen after the long, hot dry weather earlier this year. Cause and effect???
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7376
    Relaxing the truss rod would affect the clearance of all the strings over the frets, especially the first few frets and can usually alleviate buzzing on the first few frets at the nut end without substantially raising the action.  If the B string is buzzing ONLY when it's being played open, then it could be that the nut slot for that string is cut deeper than for the other strings.  Easiest way to test is to fret the string at the 1st fret.  If it goes away then it's most likely the nut slot.  If it persists it could be that you just need to raise the bridge saddle for that string a tiny bit.  Fret each of the strings in turn at the 3rd fret and then tap the string over the 1st fret.  Compare the clearance over the 1st fret on all the strings.  There usually has to be a little bit more clearance for the thicker strings, but if the B string has less clearance or is already touching the 1st fret, then that nut slot is cut too deep.

Buzzing isn't always caused by the string rattling on a fret.  Sometimes it's caused by a nut slot that is cut too wide or where the slot is in a hump and the take-off point is further back into the slot, and it can also be caused by a lack of "sharpness" where the string breaks over the saddle.  Hold it up to your ear while picking the B String hard and move it up and down listening to determine exactly where the buzzing is coming from.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5526
    Great technical advice from @BillDL.

From me, a different angle. What strings are you using? There is a surprisingly large variation between B strings when you switch from one string brand to another, even when the theoretical gauge is the same. I assume that this is caused by one or more of (i) different alloys and treatments for the plain strings - they are all supposed to be identical but they ain't; (ii)  different tensions on the remaining strings pulling the neck up or letting it drop down a tiny bit;p (iii) the phases of the moon, or possibly the colour of the packet. Whatever the reasons, on a given guitar, without touching the truss rod or changing the setup in any way, you can easily arrange for a slightly buzzy B string or a taught, little-bit-too-stiff one, or hit the sweet spot in the middle just by changing from a set of 12-53 phosphor bronze to a different set of 12-53 phosphor bronze

And then there are the companies which, for no good reason known to god or scientist, insist on shipping an underweight  .015  B string with a set of 12-54s. Grrr! Guaranteed buzzy B string. (Except, for reasons I am at a complete loss to explain, the Adamas Composite 12-53 set I have on my Messiah right now. .One of those stupid damn 015 B strings only it isn't stupid in this case because it  doesn't buzz at all. The string set as a whole is very light for 12-53s, but they work brilliantly! If only Ovation was half as good at making guitars as they seem to be at making strings!)

Anyway, playing with your strings can cure many evils.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5526
    By the way, it is always the B string. Root of all evil. Do you know what the best thing about being a bass player is? There is no f^%^#^$# B string on a bass!
  • Thanks for the advice guys. I restrung the guitar with 12's instead of the former 11's to give a bit more neck bend. All that seemed to do is raise the action higher up the neck. It's now a bit higher than I would like ideally. It is strung with Martin Monels which give a great tone for playing lead. The 11's were Monel as well and worked just fine until recently.

However, picked it up for practice this morning (about 48 hours after the restring) and now the top E is doing the same thing. GRRRRRRRR.

The buzz is present on the 1st 3 B string frets and the 1st 2 for the E string. Looks like a nut problem. It might also mean I can get the truss rod tighter which would lower the action higher up the neck. That would suit me nicely.

Watch this space.

PS I do footle around on Bass when there are 3 others on guitar and someone else on keyboard. I'm not much of a bass player but who needs a 4th guitar? We're not Fairground Attraction.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    edited September 2022
    If the strings have been on awhile, check that the B hasn't picked up a little rust.

Sometimes this will increase string diameter, introducing a buzz that new strings will eliminate. 

EDIT - after reading all (which I should have done first time!) not rust.

Without seeing, hard to say, but I suspect the nut. But on two guitars around same time? That's weird!

I assume your tech checked the nut?

:) 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72550
    Tannin said:
    By the way, it is always the B string. Root of all evil. Do you know what the best thing about being a bass player is? There is no f^%^#^$# B string on a bass!
    Yes there is, and it’s always the problematic one :). In fact, I expected this thread to be about exactly that…

On 5-string basses, of course. Which may explain why I don’t get on with them!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the advice guys. I restrung the guitar with 12's instead of the former 11's to give a bit more neck bend. All that seemed to do is raise the action higher up the neck. It's now a bit higher than I would like ideally. It is strung with Martin Monels which give a great tone for playing lead. The 11's were Monel as well and worked just fine until recently.

However, picked it up for practice this morning (about 48 hours after the restring) and now the top E is doing the same thing. GRRRRRRRR.

The buzz is present on the 1st 3 B string frets and the 1st 2 for the E string. Looks like a nut problem. It might also mean I can get the truss rod tighter which would lower the action higher up the neck. That would suit me nicely.

Watch this space.

PS I do footle around on Bass when there are 3 others on guitar and someone else on keyboard. I'm not much of a bass player but who needs a 4th guitar? We're not Fairground Attraction.
    Well,it has to be Perfect!