Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #86

What's Hot
Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month (SotM) #86. Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Thanks to @fastonebaz for providing the backing track for this one.

Vote for your top 3 entries. If you're an entrant you can't vote for yourself.

1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

Voting will end at midnight 30th September 2022.

The top three will be announced after the voting closes. No prizes. It's just for fun.

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• a great selection - always hard to narrow down

5 points: @digitalkettle - great bluesy lines, harmonies and that Surfing era sound 
    3 points: @fastonebaz - nice and shreddy and those harmonics - so good!
    1 point: @Vibetronic - Top-knotch guitar wizardy 

shouts out to @stratman3142 the Satriani-isms were strong on this one and the title made me lol
    also @Bellycaster for a strong and thematic solo and a nice ending chord
  • This is a tough one...having multiple play-throughs.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3259
    edited September 2022
    Okay...

5pts - @fastonebaz : very engaging throughout...first one in for the Satriani harmonics (marks deducted for subsequent entries that featured it)...pretty restrained and melodic...I was waiting for the fast bit and it came at the right time
    3pts - @Vibetronic : aside from the impressive shreddage, anything sub-sextuplet pace was just melodically/harmonically beautiful
    1pt - @Bellycaster ;
    : always got good ideas and thinking about motifs and stuff

Honourable mentions for @stratman3142 (always the nicest tonez) and @DigitalDave ;
    (my ears started to prick-up from the halfway point and I loved the stuttery lines around 01:04).
  • Really tough one to vote on. 

5 pts = @fastonebaz  - think this is the best thing you've posted here. Hit all the sweet spots, shreddy when it needed to be, and for me the little natural harmonic rundowns in the middle section I already mentioned nailed it. Nice one!
    3 pts = @digitalkettle  - just super-tasty all the way through, and really hard to pick between you and Baz. Really hard. If I could have a joint no.1 that'd be fairer!
    1 pt = @DigitalDave - as per the above two entries, really nice phrasing. And one of those 'why didn't I think of that?' moments with the stop-start legato lines after the 1min mark which DK also mentioned. 

Well done to all...very high-calibre entries and I didn't like leaving out @stratman3142 and @Bellycaster as they were both great too; it really is splitting hairs when the playing is at this level!
  • 5 points : @fastonebaz ; : Perfect fit to the backing. Melodic and shreddy. Just like Joe.

3 points : @digitalkettle ; : Melodic, great phrasing. Nice harmonies.

1 points : @Vibetronic ; : Spectacular technique and great ideas as usual.

They where all great and at a high level, so apologies to those that didn't get my vote. It was a close call.
    It's not a competition.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited September 2022
    Voting ends tomorrow at midnight.

I might be a bit late in closing the challenge and starting a new one because I'm off to the Western Jam in Bristol on Saturday 1st October.
    https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/228231/western-jam-2022-saturday-1st-october-factory-studios-bristol#latest

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5861
    edited September 2022
    5 Points @digitalkettle - Lovely flowing solo, great ideas and a torrent of notes forming some great licks and melodies. 

3 Points @fastonebaz - Perfectly paced, nice melodic approach with a dash of fret scorching.

1 Point @stratman3142 - Liked the bluesy lines, great tapping and harmonic use as well.

Well played to @Vibetronic and @DigitalDave too. Excellent skills and invention from both of you.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Voting ends tonight at midnight.

It's not a competition.
  • Just in the nick of time here...

5pts @digitalkettle absolutely splendid.  Loved the tone the melody and creativity.  Had a big smile listening to it. 

3pts @DigitalDave I really enjoying the haunting tone and different approach to melody here.  Made me feel like you were battling with a 100w marshall attack on full blast keeping entry under control. Lovely stuff. 

1 pt @stratman3142 for the shameless Satch links in the middle,  but actually the tone felt just right for a Satchalike riff.

I thought @Bellycaster final chord ending was inspired,  almost like the infamous James bond chord in its perfect placement.

After catching my breath back from @Vibetronic incredible masterpiece I'm afraid whilst listening to it each time it conjured up images of two sad faced and mewing rescue kittens being teased by a couple of scurrying mice that they couldn't catch.   Their little sad faces :cry:   I'm convinced Vibes must quaff a quart of absinthe before composing, it's always so immensely creative :smiley: 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited September 2022

... it conjured up images of two sad faced and mewing rescue kittens being teased by a couple of scurrying mice that they couldn't catch.   Their little sad faces cry ...
    Now there's a coincidence. I was thinking exactly the same thing.

It's not a competition.

• ... it conjured up images of two sad faced and mewing rescue kittens being teased by a couple of scurrying mice that they couldn't catch.   Their little sad faces :cry: ...
    No there's a coincidence. I was thinking exactly the same thing.

And now we know what his mews is!

• ... it conjured up images of two sad faced and mewing rescue kittens being teased by a couple of scurrying mice that they couldn't catch.   Their little sad faces :cry: ...
    No there's a coincidence. I was thinking exactly the same thing.

And now we know what his mews is!
    Top punning!!

I’m sorry my take conjured such sad images! As usual I started with one idea, did something completely different, and once I’d done what turned out to be my favourite bit I had no time left to change the whole thing. The cats will be happier next time! :)
  • Voting closed.

A reminder that, as I said in an earlier post, there'll be a delay in announcing the winners and starting the next one, because I'm off to the Fretboard jam today.

It's not a competition.
  • Voting closed.

A reminder that, as I said in an earlier post, there'll be a delay in announcing the winners and starting the next one, because I'm off to the Fretboard jam today.

Have a good one!