Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender American Vintage II

What's Hot

Comments

• NCoNCo Frets: 164
    Gerz6558 said:
    NCo said:
    Geez, that's a used custom shop price...

I guess the colours are nice, especially the fiesta red, but could anyone shed some light into specs that would justify this? Doesn't seem too far off compared to current offering.

I'm not a strat player, but I tried a few Strats from the AV line (59, 65), AVRI (62) as well as AO (50's, 60's). All have some differences but all seem to be similarly built in terms of quality. Never understood why the AV are so overpriced in the 2nd hand market compared to the AVRI.

Hopefully these new guitars will send a few more used 62/60's into the market
    In many eyes the previous American Vintage series nailed the look, sound and feel of a vintage guitar. So, when they were discontinued and succeeded by the American Original line they became even more desirable. Hence the massively inflated prices you see for them now.

Most custom shop offerings have 9.5 radius necks, and that is a big enough deal for some to go for one of the American Vintage models instead. Sellers know this and try to exploit it.

Thanks, that makes sense I guess.

Could you please shed some light as to why this price hike doesn't this apply to the AVRI 57/62?

The AVRI 62 I tried felt just as good as the AV 65. Different, yes, but at least on par, both had (if I'm not wrong) a 7.25" board, yet the AV65 are priced well over the AVRI, which seem to go for a very reasonable price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    edited September 2022
    AVRI are also good, but they were not seen as nailing specifics. They all broadly had the same neck profiles and pickups, no matter which variations of that model you chose. The nitro finish is quite thick compared with the American Vintage.

The whole American Vintage ethos was to nail that particular model and year in terms of neck profiles and sound. That's why we have all of those pure vintage pickups to choose from now...59's, 65's etc. The flash coat nitro finishes on the American Vintage line is also really thin, and resulted in even more vintage vibe (sometimes the finish wore too rapidly, with many models arriving with finish issues to stores). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
    Look forward to these if this isn’t fake news ( I think there was a thread in Strat-Talk that faked AVRI news) 
    I recently tried a lefty 60s Original Strat used in GG Glasgow but it was underwhelming.. lefty pots wired backwards = no taper, trem arm stripped , damage to lower bout and nothing special sounding grey bottom 65 pickups.
    I can’t really see these new guitars being groundbreaking but a lefty Fiesta Red would be worth a look… would still have to beat my Highway One tho.
  • €2600? It'll be a lot more by the time Kwasi Kwarteng has finished screwing sterling.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    If they are charging £2k plus they better have sweated the details, good weight, not too thick finish, nice pickups etc. However, as Peach were recently selling new AO’s for £1950, I think it will be more of the same with slight spec changes. Never really rated the Pure Vintage pickups, fine but really nothing special, I prefer the ones they’re sticking in Vintera’ s in most cases. 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9393
    NCo said:
    Gerz6558 said:
    NCo said:
    Geez, that's a used custom shop price...

I guess the colours are nice, especially the fiesta red, but could anyone shed some light into specs that would justify this? Doesn't seem too far off compared to current offering.

I'm not a strat player, but I tried a few Strats from the AV line (59, 65), AVRI (62) as well as AO (50's, 60's). All have some differences but all seem to be similarly built in terms of quality. Never understood why the AV are so overpriced in the 2nd hand market compared to the AVRI.

Hopefully these new guitars will send a few more used 62/60's into the market
    In many eyes the previous American Vintage series nailed the look, sound and feel of a vintage guitar. So, when they were discontinued and succeeded by the American Original line they became even more desirable. Hence the massively inflated prices you see for them now.

Most custom shop offerings have 9.5 radius necks, and that is a big enough deal for some to go for one of the American Vintage models instead. Sellers know this and try to exploit it.

Thanks, that makes sense I guess.

Could you please shed some light as to why this price hike doesn't this apply to the AVRI 57/62?

The AVRI 62 I tried felt just as good as the AV 65. Different, yes, but at least on par, both had (if I'm not wrong) a 7.25" board, yet the AV65 are priced well over the AVRI, which seem to go for a very reasonable price.
    Yeah - avri, nitro over poly, generic neck shapes and pickups, lots of incorrect features for model year.
    av- vintage accurate, pure nitro, model year specific pickups. Mostly highly select woods

The avs were a huge leap forward over avri in my view, the aos are a downgrade 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • €2600? It'll be a lot more by the time Kwasi Kwarteng has finished screwing sterling.
    May be there should be a Kwasi Kwarteng signature model? Expensive to buy, virtually worthless after a few days and financed by your grandchildren?
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2366
    Whitecat said:
    Great GIF... That's me, shopping anywhere for anything today.  

Confession: I just bought 3 used clothes items from an on-line charity shop. They are great. No issues. and I saved about 150 quid. Plus I'm being at least a bit green I'm not contributing to the fashion industry which is mostly BS and exploitation. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    May be there should be a Kwasi Kwarteng signature model? Expensive to buy, virtually worthless after a few days and financed by your grandchildren?
    Comment of the day 
  • Glad to see the vintage specs back assuming they do 7.25 radius and vintage frets. Most of all, really happy to see the Tele Deluxe getting an American made, vintage correct model. Wanted a black/maple one for ages (arguably a vintage one probably is a similar price but they rarely come up)
  • I think the frets might be a tad taller?
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3835
    edited September 2022
    Also, shouldn't the '66 Jazzmaster have a slightly bigger CBS-style headstock or am I talking out of my arse as usual? 
  • Loobs said:
    Also, shouldn't the '66 Jazzmaster have a slightly bigger CBS-style headstock or am I talking out of my arse as usual? 
    Head over to the offset forum for more on that, someone has got a right bee in their bonnet about it. I think its ruined their year.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, those guys need to get out more. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12017
    Vintage frets and a 7.25" radius?  I'm out.
  • Offset said:
    Vintage frets and a 7.25" radius?  I'm out.
    I think its vintage/narrow tall frets. But yes, 7.25 radius neck.
    edited September 2022
    Urgh, narrow tall are kind of uncomfortable too. I have them on my thin skin '62 RI Jazzmaster. Never got on with them. They feel too sharp. Prefer whatever it is F are using on the Am. Pro II series. 
  • Narrow tall frets are the absolute worst. They feel like fence panels. I had them significantly taken down on the AO Tele custom I had (which was an otherwise wonderful guitar, but the frets were an absolute monstrosity) 
    Oh that's gone? 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12017
    Loobs said:
    Urgh, narrow tall are kind of uncomfortable too. I have them on my thin skin '62 RI Jazzmaster. Never got on with them. They feel too sharp. Prefer whatever it is F are using on the Am. Pro II series. 
    Exactly this.  And 7.25" is (for me) OK for chugging but not a lot else.