NGD: It's a Twelver

What's Hot
I've owned a few twelvers over the years and my interest in them has ebbed and flowed.  I think it's the fact that I have never really got the best from them.  My fault not theirs, of course.  I did gig, playing solely 12-string, quite a number of times, in a 3 piece.  A simple set-up of Yamaha CPX 700 ii 12er, through a tiny but brillaint sounding and remarkably loud, Acus combo.
That was the last time I owned a twelver.  But recently I have been listening to some  obscure, Scandanavian folk music.
All Nordic, dark, gothic and pagan.  Great stuff.  Anyway I have been playing to some of it, on my bodhran but wanted also to play
melodies and accompaniments.  At the same time I have been continuing my love of prog metal and had recently got an electric, to play in Drop-C tuning.  Which I really took to.  Then it dawned on me, Drop-C would probably sound ace on a twelver and may well fit rather nicely, with that dark scandi stuff.

So I did my usual and scoured the web for just about every 12-string acoustic on the planet, in my limited budget.   I'd sort of decided on a pre-owned one, at Hobgoblin but it was in Bristol, too far to visit and I really like to try before I buy.  So I rang my old mate Tony, at Aire Valley Guitars and he had just one twelver in, a Guild F-2512E.  Mmmmm, it was new but at a really good price, so I popped over this afternoon, to take a look.  

This Guild is a jumbo and quite a whopper.  Solid spruce top, with laminated maple B & S.  When I picked it up it was very in tune and in standard tuning.  I was impressed but immediately set about putting it in Drop-C.  Now as you might imagine, with a big rounded body and maple B & S, this guitar starts out with a big sound.  Plenty of bottom end and sparkle on top.  Add to that, the Drop-C tuning and this guitar sounded symphonic.  And not all boom and twang either.  There is enough middle in there to hear  note separation.  Not all mushy, like some jumbos.  Added to that, the Guild/Fishman AP1 with Sonicore pickup was more than decent.  Far better than I was expecting on a guitar at this price.  I have had far pricier electros, with quite poor sounding pickups, so I wasn't expecting much but I was so pleasantly surprised at how good the Guild sounded through A fender acoustic combo and again, when I got it home.  Infact I even put the 12er through an effects unit, with some very subtle chorus and tasty delay.  It created some wonderful sounds.  Grand, yet ethereal at the same time.  Boy have I had some fun with this guitar, in the few hours I have owned it.  And to add the cherry on the cake, Tony had a second-hand Gator hard case that fitted the Guild like a glove.  Blimey!  The only thing that could have been better, are the tuners.  They stay in tune and don't slip but they tend to be uneven in operation, with some turns not effecting tuning, on occasion.  Not bad enough to put me off the guitar but probably the only weak link I could find.  But again, for the price, I think this twelver is remarkable.

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Looks a good un mate.

Congrats :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've always fancied a 12 string but i hear so many scary stories about looking after them,tuning etc and it puts me off a bit.
  • I almost bought a Guild 12 string jumbo (forget the model number, but yours looks very similar IIRC) instead of the Stonebridge (Furch) one I ended up with. A wider fretboard was the reason, as they both sounded fabulous, so I'm sure your new one is great. Enjoy! 
  • Never played a poor Guild and that one looks very like on we acquired not so long ago. It was amazing value for money even if not very pretty. I know what you mean about the tuners but they seem to keep going.

Enjoy!!!
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3701
    I've always fancied a 12 string but i hear so many scary stories about looking after them,tuning etc and it puts me off a bit.
    I wouldn’t be scared; you need to be more precise on the tuning but if it’s well set up tuning is no harder. Likewise if you’re concerned about the high tension tune down a tone and use a capo if required. I like the down tuned sound of a 12 string. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Don Partridge used a twelve.

He had a hit with "Rosie", remember?

:) 
  • grayngrayn Frets: 882
    I think most modern twelvers can take standard tuning, without problems.  Just keep the strings light.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Love the sound of a 12er, but hate playing them..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• SoupmanSoupman Frets: 234
    @Mellish Don Partridge also used a kazoo, but I don't hear you endorsing that..... =)
    @Soupman ; AND a bass drum and a tambourine and harmonica. 

But i thought of others by not hogging the thread........ 

;) =) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom