NBD squier classic vibe 60s jazz 2008

slugeliseslugelise Frets: 112
edited October 2022 in Bass
Been looking for one of these locally at the right price for a while, £190 from gumtree. The scratch plate isn't original but apart from one ding it's in very good condition. Better than an American bass? Well not sure about that but it certainly plays well.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• swillerswiller Frets: 1241
    congrats. I have a 2011 exactly the same colour. They are great fun, sound fine for bass duties and have a character of their own.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice one. Looks like a Rosewood Board? Great price as well, if it plays great, it's a big win.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • slugeliseslugelise Frets: 112
    Yup, the early had rosewood boards, nice and dark. I think the current ones are Indian laurel. 

Plays great, not that I'm the world's finest bass player!

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14498
    The tone might be improved by replacing the chunky "modern" bridge with the traditional stamped steel version.

The three-ply, corned beef scratchplate could well be original. Tort is historically correct for early-to-mid Sixties - albeit it four-ply with a shallower edge bevel. You may find that the Squier screw holes do not align perfectly with those in a genuine Fender USA/MIM plate.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • slugeliseslugelise Frets: 112
    I think the chunky bridge is one of the good bits about it! The scratch plate doesn't have the thumb rest and comparing it to Steve Robinsons near identical one, his scratch plate is much darker and had the rest. I guess a po swapped it to make it more historically correct. I can live with both.
  • The heavy bridges on these are unfortunately a slightly wider screw spacing than a stock Fender/Squier BBOT. You'd have to fill and drill to put anything else on - no idea why they had a unique part made up for it but they aren't bad bridges so I'm happy to live with mine.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9660
    edited October 2022
    I got one these after seeing the bass player from Madness playing one on Jools Holland. All the bass I need, easily.

The scratchplate isn’t original as they came with a finger rest and it was a darker shade. Although it’s printed tort it gives the expensive real acetate top layer replacement I bought a run for its money.

Here’s mine with (L-R) original guard, cheap ebay replacement, and expensive custom guard.