Never get tired of listening to this........

What's Hot
bertiebertie Frets: 13569
video's nearly 14 years old............... and may one day I'll actually sit down and try to learn it................... may be 

https://youtu.be/bRSZt0VZoAw
just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
 just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7273
    Wow, that is good.  Martin Tallstrom now added to my good listening/viewing and "must try and learn but most likely never will" lists.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    its guys like him that inspire me, and make me want to give up at the same time  =)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7273
    Some time back in the 80s when you could go to the council library and borrow vinyl LPs as well as books, I borrowed an LP of Marcel Dadi playing all the old classics like Windy and Warm, Nine Pound Hammer, Drive In, etc and it came with a book of tablature for all the songs.  I did manage to play a few of the slower ones fairly well after hours of practice, but I found it incredibly difficult to coordinate my thumb to play constantly and steadily through all the intricate melody picking on the faster tempo songs.  Like a lot of rudiments on the guitar, these guys must have practiced for so many hours that the thumb works on autopilot.
    edited October 2022
    BillDL said:
    Some time back in the 80s when you could go to the council library and borrow vinyl LPs as well as books, I borrowed an LP of Marcel Dadi
    ha - Le Derviche Tourneur  was one of the first pieces I learnt as a teenager (well a "version" of it ) plenty of Tourneur but not so much Derviche  =) 

sounds best capod on the 7th (and a bit easier to play)
  • Been following MT for a while...he's not a prolific poster (good!) but his output is awesome...he does everything so well.
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 310
    bertie said:
    its guys like him that inspire me, and make me want to give up at the same time  =)

I know the feeling.... :)
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    That's VERY good.

Both  FMB and DB are harder to do on acoustic guitar in EADGBE than on a five-string banjo in GDGBD.

:)
  • Cig35Cig35 Frets: 63
    Mellish said:
    That's VERY good.

Both  FMB and DB are harder to do on acoustic guitar in EADGBE than on a five-string banjo in GDGBD.

:)

For FMB Tallstrom has tuned down the 5th string to G, but he uses standard tuning for DB.
    For anyone interested in the challenge, notes/tabs for his version of FMB are available for free download on his homepage.

And if you think the guitar in the video sounds good the luthier has announced on Facebook he will have a "twin sister" built in 2003 coming up for sale any day now.
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 234
    Not my type of stuff but to quote Knopfler, 'Oh yeah, the boy can play'!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
    I'm exploring lots of Bluegrass stuff at the moment and loving it. Thanks for posting this @bertie ; ... I hadn't heard of him but this playing just exudes quality  ... he's awesome!

Need to research him a bit more I think ... deffo a challenge for me to try and play this style but I'm gonna have a go :+1: 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Wow  :o
  • Holy shit that is amazing. 
    I'm on verge of selling electrics as that is right up my street - much cooler!!
  • My fave right now is Stephen Wake. Recently did a piece after his brother's passing which is lovely.
  • bertie said:
    video's nearly 14 years old............... and may one day I'll actually sit down and try to learn it................... may be 

https://youtu.be/bRSZt0VZoAw
    Just saw he's got the tab for this for free on his website!
  • He's of the type where you completely admire his brilliant talent on a guitar but dont really care for what he's playing.
  • He's of the type where you completely admire his brilliant talent on a guitar but dont really care for what he's playing.
    I'm not being argumentative (honest!)...but have you watched anything else from his channel?
    That's the first bit of bluegrass I've seen him play!

Here's some tasty electric playing:

He seems to have cleared down his channel a bit...I'm sure there was some more rock/fusiony electric stuff ;-/
    Holy shit that is amazing. 
    see all those years ago I told you  you'd come over to the dark side 

=) 
  • bertie said:

=) 
    Do you play electrics still? I am loathe to sell as th PRS especially is a limited edition but I've zero desire to just play lead lines or play electric in a band again. 

I've changed 100% - I don't even like using a pick anymore. It's all about one man, acoustic fingerstyle and a bit of singing. There's so much to it - chordal thinking instead of scalar is 100% the way. And my fave guitar is my cheapest - the Larrivee OM-02 which has aged well (sound has just gotten better) - I see they're £1800+ now!
    I'm not being argumentative (honest!)...but have you watched anything else from his channel?
    That's the first bit of bluegrass I've seen him play!

Here's some tasty electric playing:

He seems to have cleared down his channel a bit...I'm sure there was some more rock/fusiony electric stuff ;-/
    No,but like I said I was no fan of the genre. He is obviously a brilliant musician but I have no intention of stressing over being light years behind yet another guitarist! I have 9 year old Korean players on youtube who can already make me feel like I should avoid any type of musical hobby at all!
    bertie said:

=) 
    Do you play electrics still? I am loathe to sell as th PRS especially is a limited edition but I've zero desire to just play lead lines or play electric in a band again. 

yes mate - sold a couple and got a couple  since we probably last spoke  - dont sell all your gear,  there will come a day when you actually "need" to rawk out through an amp............... its therapy  =)     

these days Im kind of 90% acoustic  10% leccy,  mostly cos playing through the amp drives one of me dogs nuts