Acoustic Courses (for Birthday)

What's Hot
So I need some ideas for Birthday coming up. Initial thought is... these TrueFire courses look ok? 
Tommy Emmanuel, Tony McManus - masters teaching you for £25-50! 
Anybody tried them or... better to just get some song tabs and just play?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5534
    Two questions:

* What level are you at? 
    * Do you have a particular style in mind? Or a particular sort of skill you want to work on (theory, fingerpicking, shredding, etc.)?

The answers to these two questions will determine what course is bet for you. 

(And yes, I'd vote for a course. It probably doesn't matter so much which area you do it in, in my experience at least the discipline of being pushed in any one particular direction is very valuable.)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 20 years playing, probably intermediate acoustic. Fingerstyle, Celtic. So basically looking at the ones I noted. Not into the whole tapped acoustic thing like modern players do. 

Think I answered my own query then :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You could try the Clive Carroll website he does a four day workshop and also individual video lessons depending on your budget. Or you could get Marco Rossetti’s book on John Renbourn (sheet music only) there is literally hours of hard graft in that book.
  • Good shout, thank you (Clive Carrol is great!)
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    edited October 2022
    20 years playing, probably intermediate acoustic. Fingerstyle, Celtic. So basically looking at the ones I noted. Not into the whole tapped acoustic thing like modern players do. 

Think I answered my own query then
    Sorry, Tom, but I just had to lol the idea that you think you're only an intermediate player!! You're superb, you always have been.

Intermediate.

Aye, right you are. D
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha you are now on the Christmas card list, Dennis!

Acoustic has totally given me a new lease of life. Could write for days on it. Right now looking into DADGAD, Celtic triplet techniques, banjo rolls, a couple songs, just brilliant - so much to do!
  • Yeah, just the sort of stuff that would be an absolute doddle for your average intermediate.

Again, aye, right you are, kiddo :D 
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha looking forward to our next big meetup - been way too long!!
  • It has, far too long
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It has, far too long
    Said the reluctant Actress to the Bishop!
  • Think I'm gonna go for a 12 month True fire membership.
    Good value at 50% off right now - have been watching the TE ones and Clive Carroll on trial and it's a great resource.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Tannin said:

* What level are you at?
    @Tannin Sorry, but genuine LOL. TiggerRoss20 has been part of this community for some two decades now and there is only one answer to your question: AWESOME!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hahaha tell you what, I'm enjoying the TE fingerstyle! Good to hear from you @DLM ; !
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11972
    edited October 2022
    So I need some ideas for Birthday coming up. Initial thought is... these TrueFire courses look ok? 
    Tommy Emmanuel, Tony McManus - masters teaching you for £25-50! 
    Anybody tried them or... better to just get some song tabs and just play?
    Truefire does special offers every so often:
    You can get 2 for 1, half price, etc
    one year subscription - NB doesn't include everything for $100 I think

ah, some sale now on you say...
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11972
    Think I'm gonna go for a 12 month True fire membership.
    Good value at 50% off right now - have been watching the TE ones and Clive Carroll on trial and it's a great resource.
    check carefully that what you want is included
  • Thanks and I will do - I have 10 days free trial left. Mainly interested in TE, Clive Carroll, the acoustic type courses so will check..
  • Fyi truefire sale on, 75% off courses and 2 years for $199.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited January 2023
    Just wanted to update this...

I've been appreciating TrueFire way more than I did JamPlay when I had that. 

Courses done so far:
    - Steve Vai (more "talk" and soft skill stuff... actually only did 75% of this tbh)
    - Tommy Emmanuel fingerstyle basics (now onto the next one) - brilliant. 
    - Tommy Emmanuel "Play With Words" - his inspiration for song writing and general advice - brilliant
    - 3 hour multi-instructor song writing course
    - Random tutorial on how to play the Tetris theme, fingerstyle.

I also have no interest in jazz whatsoever (well, the instrumental stuff..) but I'm now watching Howard Morgen's "Fingerstyle Breakthrough" which deals with chord voicings and leading tones, something which is prevalent in other styles (i.e. "normal" fingerstyle guitar). Frank Vignola also does a similar course I will watch. 

Courses best done with guitar in hand but the theory ones are good to just watch as can get head around it all still. Not really out to learn new styles per se but to steal bits of theory and techniques (I want to recap my flamenco knowledge despite not really playing flamenco as I do use some of the flamenco techniques, for example... and while the Chet Atkins alternating bass is great, it can get a bit repetitive and I prefer compositions outlining the bass without so much of that repetition, e.g. like Stephen Wake does). It's also really opened me up to new styles - largely country (which I now love), Celtic, etc. 

It's one thing to watch this stuff and then put it to practice, which is sort of why I didn't finish the Vai one. It was a lot of talk with no real application and I want the meat - the theory, techniques, the feel of a style etc. Anyway, this two year pass has been a great buy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just wanted to update this...

- Tommy Emmanuel fingerstyle basics (now onto the next one) - brilliant. 

I can't find this on TF, only Breakthoughs and Milestones. They must've removed it. :(
  • Sorry I meant Milestones :)