Monitoring solution for Bass

What's Hot
chris45chris45 Frets: 221
I've been asked to play bass in a new pub gig type project.  When I play guitar for similar gigs, I use my Helix and have a Yamaha DBR 12 PA speaker for monitoring / a bit of stage volume, and an out from the Helix to the PA.  I was planning on using the same approach for bass.  I have read a few online comments  warning against this, saying I might be at risk of blowing the speaker but that seems to me to be cr*p given other people will but all instruments (inc bass) through the same speaker when its acting as a true PA.  But discretion being etc I thought I would canvas some wisdom here :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I use a QSC 10 for all bass stuff, either with a Helix or direct. It even has a "Bass" preset on it for instrument direct connections. 

I've never had an issue at all and it's perfect for on stage monitoring.
  • get a wired in ear run from an aux on the desk, one ear in one out (the one facing away from the drummer)
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2248
    Ampeg svt 
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    slacker said:
    Ampeg svt 
    Maybe not enough room next to the guitarist’s 4x4x12 Twin JCM800s and the drummer’s gong
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72488
    chris45 said:
    I've been asked to play bass in a new pub gig type project.  When I play guitar for similar gigs, I use my Helix and have a Yamaha DBR 12 PA speaker for monitoring / a bit of stage volume, and an out from the Helix to the PA.  I was planning on using the same approach for bass.  I have read a few online comments  warning against this, saying I might be at risk of blowing the speaker but that seems to me to be cr*p given other people will but all instruments (inc bass) through the same speaker when its acting as a true PA.  But discretion being etc I thought I would canvas some wisdom here :)
    You could be pushing it harder as just a bass amp than as a PA cab if you turn it up full - as a PA, it will be handling a mixed music signal with drum transients and more higher frequencies so the *average* power level will be lower - but if you’re not cranking it up to that sort of level then there’s no reason it will be under more strain… it’s certainly intended to handle those frequencies so they aren’t an inherent risk to it.

It’s actually safer if you run it through something like the Helix with amp modelling than just a direct feed from the bass, too - the amp modelling will have a bit of compression and frequency limiting as part of the emulation.

Short answer - don’t play it at absolutely stupid volume and it will be fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    Thanks for all comments - worked perfectly!