Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What can we do to affect tone on acoustics?

What's Hot
hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 118
edited October 2022 in Acoustics
If there’s some tonal aspect of my acoustic I’m not happy with, what are the things I can do to affect it, and in what way? 

I figure choice of strings, choice of pick, how close to the bridge you strum for starters, but I’m struggling to get into my head exactly what the change is (especially with strings where it’s hard to A/B). Or some other aspect of technique?

My current guitar (epi inspired hummingbird) I’d kinda like a more polite top end and a less busy/clunky mid range. But really I’d like to get my head around the whole issue. 

I’m sure there are things I can change that don’t require a new guitar!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hard to tell what the issue is in your specific case, but the thing that makes the biggest difference for me is trying a different plectrum. Happily this is also, in general, relatively cheap. I keep various plectrums, different materials as well as thicknesses. 

Also another thought, could you try recording the guitar and listening back? I find a recording can help me to hear stuff i can't hear when I'm concentrating on playing. 
  • Practice! (sorry ;) )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • malcolmkindnessmalcolmkindness Frets: 164
    edited October 2022
    This is probably not the answer you want, but tone is mostly in the hands of the player.

I have been playing guitar for almost 60 years and when I was a teenager I was considered lucky to have a guitar at all. There was very little choice of strings, capos etc, all the things we take for granted now. With no Internet, people developed their own style of playing with what was available.

Nowadays I have several high end guitars and two cheapies that I use for gigging and travel and whichever guitar I play, I sound like me. Keep experimenting and I'm sure you'll figure out how to produce a tone you are happy with, there really is no simple answer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Acoustic players can be very heavy handed when strumming which then takes away the texture and dynamics of the pick esp when alternate strumming. That ice-picky thing you can get is being too aggressive with the right hand (assuming you play right-handed). Changing pick gauge can help you as mentioned above tone is in the hands of the player. Detuning the guitar can give a more mellow sound and less treble attack, D standard sounds quite moody and dark.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Very little aside from strings (Daddario EJ are a basic ref point, Newtone masterclass the best IMO) or changing a synthetic saddle to bone (more treble).

Your tonal issues are probaby just the guitar itself, I'm not a fan of Epiphone acoustics

Leaving out rosewood as is acooped in the mids and brighter up top, here's some nice mahogany guitars:

If you want a similar feel with a smoother top end and just Better, then perhaps a J45 style like an Eastman E10ss. A D18 style by Furch or Larivee will do similar with a bit more clarity and string tension.
    If you want much smoother top end then a mahogany Martin 0015 or D15 or Taylor Ad27 (fab guitar) but the midrange will change too.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11914
    play in front of a wall or window

drill a sound port into the top left side of the guitar

run a Tonerite on the guitar for a few days

try 80/20 strings to brighten it up
  • moremore Frets: 230
    edited October 2022
    There is a long list of things that will  affect  the tone, including the room your in . Here are a few you might be interested in . String gauges and types of windings .  Medium gauge strings will have more volume and a better tone than light . 80/20 bronze has  a brighter tone than phosphor bronze. Round core is more resonant than hex  . Right hand position , picking hand. Closer to neck  will have a darker , warmer , softer tone than  closer to the bridge . It is complicated to explain how to use the pick in different  ways . You need to  experiment to adjust tone and volume . The same can be said of the left hand .  It   takes a lot of practice to get a clan  or rich sound .   
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    And after all, I'm in front a wall...

*gets coat*

*leaves*
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This is probably not the answer you want, but tone is mostly in the hands of the player.

I have been playing guitar for almost 60 years and when I was a teenager I was considered lucky to have a guitar at all. There was very little choice of strings, capos etc, all the things we take for granted now. With no Internet, people developed their own style of playing with what was available.

Nowadays I have several high end guitars and two cheapies that I use for gigging and travel and whichever guitar I play, I sound like me. Keep experimenting and I'm sure you'll figure out how to produce a tone you are happy with, there really is no simple answer.
    Love this reply and very true
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited October 2022

if you're talking about playing at home (and not gigging specifically) then what @ToneControl says is spot on

two places I find really good, top of the stairs facing the wall, and in our "bay window" - its more a recess with window seat as our walls are 2 foot thick, makes a superb "sound chamber"
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769

Nowadays I have several high end guitars and two cheapies that I use for gigging and travel and whichever guitar I play, I sound like me.
    Might I ask what you get from your various guitars?  Reason I ask is that I have a cheapie acoustic, a good acoustic, and I have been recently tempted by a high end acoustic a beautiful hand made thing.  Common sense says stick with my good one; dreamer says splash on the new lovely one, 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    Different picks.

Those massive perspex ones can sound great in some applications. 

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• markjmarkj Frets: 914
    When I bought my HD28 I auditioned quite a few string makers and gauges. It's like changing pickups in an electric guitar!
    I found quite a difference in tone in the different manufacturers.
    My fav when i had the guitar were Curt Mangans PB.
  • Totally agree with these, the room where you play is so important.  

The picks, I use primetones.  

Where you pick in relation to the soundhole.

I’m sure if you’ve played the guitar a lot recently is important.  Unless it’s your ears that have grown accustomed to the sound.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited October 2022
    Flat wound strings? I put some semi-flat (forget what they're called) ones on mine which aren't as "scratchy" sounding. Possibly a little mellower/warmer too but not a massive difference. 

I used to like soft picks for acoustic strummage but when I recorded it and listened back I really didn't like the frappy percussive sound so I started using a hard pick which I found gives you much more control, after a bit of practice. 
    Tune down a semi tone 
  • sev112 said:

Nowadays I have several high end guitars and two cheapies that I use for gigging and travel and whichever guitar I play, I sound like me.
    Might I ask what you get from your various guitars?  Reason I ask is that I have a cheapie acoustic, a good acoustic, and I have been recently tempted by a high end acoustic a beautiful hand made thing.  Common sense says stick with my good one; dreamer says splash on the new lovely one, 
    Sure, let me explain, It's all to do with the string spacing and the neck. I realised over the years that I like and play best with a wide, fat neck and wide string spacing at the saddle. I have two guitars made for me to my specs, and two high end Martins which are close. The cheap guitars are the same, one perfect and one close enough considering its other advantages. 

It's a shame really, because when I go into a guitar shop there are usually none that suit my requirements. For me playability comes first, if the guitar is not comfortable then it really doesn't matter how good it sounds.

I hope this helps.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks.  For electrics (a different approach) I felt a guitar had to look pleasing, had to feel/play well, and sound well acoustically - electronic sounds would be controlled by amp and pedals.
    But for acoustic it needs to play/feel and sound good, and then looks might be secondary, but not too secondary.  
    So I concur that the feel / playability is key 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5459
    1: throw away your pick and learn to use your fingers. There are lots of small changes you can make with different picks,  and by using the pick in different ways, but the game-changer is switching to fingers. It opens up a whole different world and it's a wonderful place. (Will this fix your guitar? Probably not really. But it's a bloody good thing to do anyway. And it will help with the guitar too.)

2: Change your strings. Most tonal issues of the sort you describe can be substantially addressed by selecting the right strings. There is absolutely no point in saying "switch to phosphor bronze" or "use DR Sunbeams" without knowing what changes you are looking for, and also what strings you have on now

Assuming that you have the most common sort of strings as your starting point, 12 gauge hex core phosphor bronze, then yes, there are some things that we can do.

(a) If by "a more polite top end and a less busy/clunky mid range" you mean that the high strings (the plain steel ones) are shouty and the middle strings busy, that's one thing. Call it Case A. Or do you mean that the overall strummed sound is harsh at the top and unpleasant in the middle? Call that Case B.

Case A. You can't change the sound of the top two strings - all brands use plain steel and while they are not (as some people claim) "exactly the same", they are very similar. So what you do in change the wound strings so that they are in balance with the plains. There is a bit of trial and error involved. Knowing what you have on it now is the starting point.

Case B. Three possibilities come to mind. (i) Counter-intuitively, brighter strings can balance this out. Yes, it sounds crazy but it often works. Full-on 80-20 brass is probably not such a good idea, but a set of bright standards in phosphor bronze can work wonders. GHS Americana would be my go-to, or maybe Curt Mangans or Newtones. (ii) Well-worn brass strings have a clear, mellow sound that is hard to beat. The only thing is it takes at least a month of playing to reach that mellow place. (iii) A softer string with plenty of weight (i.e., lower tension but not lighter) changes your tone significantly, and in the sort of direction you are thinking about. Any of Dogal round core, Pyramid Western Folk, DR Sunbeams,  Galli LS, Santa Cruz Parabolic.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 747
    I think you're probably more than halfway there @hessodreamy ;      

Any individual acoustic, however nice, does not contain within it an infinite number of tones. I know you do not want to, but once you've tried all the alterable things - strings, picks, attack, capo, where you play, electric amplification - you made need to go on a journey for a new guitar. They're not called tonewoods for nothing!

A few things that I can't see have been mentioned yet. Monel strings (less bright and can seem a little more complex than other strings). Try lowering all your strings a semitone (sometimes works by bringing frequencies closer to the resonant frequency of your soundbox). Fingerpicks (very different sound but can be difficult to master initially).

It can take years to get (or find) the tone you're looking for. And can happen by accident sometimes. A bloke in a shop just strummed a mahogany guitar he was bringing me as he walked the guitar over once, and I was smitten!

Tone is so individually subjective. Keep at it!