Nice Larrivee Interview

What's Hot
Just three weeks old

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It is. I honestly thought the company was way older than it is.

And it's nice to know that so many family members touch the guitars on their way through the build - how do they manage it? They must build so many in a year, surely it gets really difficult to do something like that, unless that's literally what they do - just touch it on the way out of the door.

But I can believe everything else they say, my OM-02 is beautifully made, and every joint is perfect.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Love my OM-02, too.... 
    Asked today if they do a 12 fret cutaway in sapele but said they don't use sapele anymore and would instead have to order an OM40 with cutaway and 12 fret option (££). Still best sounding, playing & bang for buck imo. I'm going to try the OOO40 12 fret at weekend (no cutaway, though). 

Loved the interview. Great company.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 747
    edited October 2022
    Watched this and interesting. Thanks @thomasross20 ;;

I must say though, and I'm not usually cynical, they were putting a lot of effort into spinning the 'Larrivee Narrative'. Much of it probably true but do you really need such a historical back-story to sell very good guitars?? Martin obviously think so. Larrivee possibly copying.

Trouble is, as the generations pass, such stories become less relevant. Possibly they are irrelevant now. I don't really care if you're a poor Canadian or a German emigrant tbh. Just keep churning out great guitars. Cheaply if possible!

Given that Yamaha started making guitars in Japan in the 1940's, opening their Hamamatsu facility in the late 1940's, I wonder what their back story would be?!! Interesting I imagine.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited October 2022
    I quite like the story but I hear you. 

Tried some more today....

Koa a bit trebly. 

Walnut has a DEEP bass and that particular guitar was set up VERY well but the trebles didn't ring as much as mahogany. 

Mahogany bass not as full as walnut but trebles were sweet and had the mid range grunt which I like. 

Rosewood not my fave compared to mahogany. 

Also tried 12 frets (cutaway and no cutaway) and access is an issue plus I didn't hear a big enough change in tone over standard 14 frers. So... I learned some things today. 

The Larrivee OM40 bass is improved over older models. Best value in shop. And even though all were meant to have same neck carve I did notice minute differences so it pays to play.
  • Saying it pays to play, I notice a shop in Barcelona doing Larrivee cheaper than anywhere else with £50 postage. Am I missing something there?