Feeling the need for a dreadnought - Brook Teign or Martin HD 28?

What's Hot

Comments

• UngulateUngulate Frets: 223
    Mellish said:
    What I would tell you is, if that HD-28 is from the Re-imagined series, make sure you go to try it out.

The soft V/1.75" nut combination felt a bit too much for me. Thinking I could get used to it, I bought it. Great guitar for sure, and I gigged with it, but I felt I was fighting it cos of the nut/profile.

But hope you enjoy choosing a dread :) 
    I'm sure it will be fun, no it's not re imagined...can't wait to check 'em out, had a bit of a shit few weeks....feel this is the right direction 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5468
    The HD-28 is  the cream of Martin's crop, factory dreadnoughts don't get much better than an HD-28. They do, however, vary a lot from one guitar to another (as Martins always do) so while a great HD-28 is excellent, a so-so one is merely competent. Playing the actual instrument is vital.

A good hand-made guitar, however, is a different animal entirely. I don't know Brook except by reputation but if they are even half as good as that reputation makes them, we are playing in a different league. 

Counter-intuitively, hand-made guitars are much more consistent than factory ones. A luthier shapes and thins the timbers to get the sound he or she wants, where a factory makes every part the same. Because wood varies, factory guitars vary too.  (Exception: carbon fibre instruments, which can be made exactly the same every time.)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Tannin said:
    The HD-28 is  the cream of Martin's crop, factory dreadnoughts don't get much better than an HD-28. They do, however, vary a lot from one guitar to another (as Martins always do) so while a great HD-28 is excellent, a so-so one is merely competent. Playing the actual instrument is vital.

A good hand-made guitar, however, is a different animal entirely. I don't know Brook except by reputation but if they are even half as good as that reputation makes them, we are playing in a different league. 

Counter-intuitively, hand-made guitars are much more consistent than factory ones. A luthier shapes and thins the timbers to get the sound he or she wants, where a factory makes every part the same. Because wood varies, factory guitars vary too.  (Exception: carbon fibre instruments, which can be made exactly the same every time.)

This will be a bit of a day then, HD 28 v Atkin v Brook Teign can't wait, @ Tannin instinctively I'm with you here
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    I bought a Teign in 2004, which I replaced with a Martin HD28V around 2007.  I still have the Martin.

The Teign is a different sounding guitar.  It doesn't have that big full Martin sound.  Don't get me wrong, it sounded great but it's not a Martin.

The thing that really made me sell it was the very flat fingerboard radius and shallow neck.  I just couldn't get on with it.  The fingerboard radius was so flat I used a classical capo on it.  Definitely try before you buy.  Martins can vary as well so try before you buy on those.  The best ones might be the best acoustics you will ever find, but you might need to try a bunch to find one that good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 406
    +1 on the Atkin suggestion. The D37 I had was simply stunning, don't buy a Martin HD28 until you've tried one. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited October 2022
    Ungulate said:
    This will be a bit of a day then, HD 28 v Atkin v Brook Teign can't wait, @ Tannin instinctively I'm with you here
    might as well see if there's a vintage series Furch while you're at it  -   you'll have enough for 2  :) 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    edited October 2022
    A Martin HD-28 is a great acoustic, or it *can* be. As someone said earlier, they vary. You can say that about any brand, especially tone-wise, cos you can't get identical woods. 

:) 

Yep Furch is on my shortlist, will sit & try them all for as long as the good people at Project music will allow
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited October 2022
    My “reimagined” HD28 sounds better now that it did when I bought it just under 4 years ago and the top has started to “orange” nicely.

It sounded a bit zingy and thin on the E and B unwound strings when new but has mellowed and they sound warm and full now, it has sounded better and better each year. I don't know if it's the scalloped bracing but when played gently it doesn't die or go too quiet, it's still lively and loud. If you play a single note without dampening the other strings I hear this reverb type effect that is wonderful. The regular unscalloped braced D28 I had before it needed pushing hard to sound loud and the volume died completely when played gently.

My HD28 is the best sounding acoustic I've played or owned and is the embodiment of the sound I have always heard in my head for the perfect acoustic.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27112
    edited October 2022
    I would also add a suggestion of a Bourgeois if you can get your hands on one. Expensive but oh my god. 

That said, if you can get to an Atkin, Martin and Brook in a single day I'll be amazed if you don't fall in love with at least one of them
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I would also add a suggestion of a Bourgeois if you can get your hands on one. Expensive but oh my god. 

That said, if you can get to an Atkin, Martin and Brook in a single day I'll be amazed if you don't fall in love with at least one of them
    Yeah that would be ace a Bourgeois but it's getting out of my sensible price range, however there's a Lowden in stock I like the look of
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27112
    To be fair I don't know where Bourgeois sits in UK pricing. I bought mine in USD so it wasn't too much more than an Atkin, but I guess in the UK it's probably another +20%
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • To be fair I don't know where Bourgeois sits in UK pricing. I bought mine in USD so it wasn't too much more than an Atkin, but I guess in the UK it's probably another +20%

Guitar Village have a few in stock, pretty much all start from £4k, the Eastman collaboration is just under £4k.  Crikey that is a lot for a largely MIC guitar.
    This thread now continues in a NGD story :-)
    you need a nice Tamar to go with that now  ;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    bertie said:
    you need a nice Tamar to go with that now  ;) 
    You read my mind, was thinking about getting in touch & ordering something custom......
    edited October 2022
    Ungulate said:
    bertie said:
    you need a nice Tamar to go with that now   
    You read my mind, was thinking about getting in touch & ordering something custom......
    or  you could buy "used" 

if you knew someone that had a red gum,  diamonds and dots and ebony tuner buttons............................
    bertie said:
    Ungulate said:
    bertie said:
    you need a nice Tamar to go with that now   
    or  you could buy "used" 

if you knew someone that had a red gum,  diamonds and dots and ebony tuner buttons............................
    Oh FFS show me a picture?!? ;-)

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    OMFG that is incredible.