Yamaha FG 311 Mystery.

DavidRDavidR Frets: 754
edited October 2022 in Acoustics
A tad nerdy I know but, as a lover of all things FG, I was interested to discover something called the "FG311 Red Label" for sale on 2 sites...

Yamaha FG3II Acoustic Guitar | MusicStreet

Yamaha FG3II Red Label Acoustic Guitar | PMT Online

...unfortunately I can find no reference to this guitar on any official Yamaha website either here or in the US. Amongst the scores of FG marques released over the years, there's defo an FG 331, from the 1970's, but that's the closest I can get. 

Is this a mistake?? - (as the Hedgehog said as he climbed off the scrubbing brush).

:-)

If there's a new Red Label FG I'd quite like one! Any superknowledgable Yamaha shop staff out there?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WBT2079WBT2079 Frets: 88
    edited October 2022
    I maybe wrong, but I believe this guitar falls under the Yamaha FG3 range.

I think the guitar may be called the Yamaha FG3ii rather than 311. With the ‘ii’ denoting that this is from the new range of the FG red label guitars. 

There’s an article here about the development of the new range. 

• I love Yamaha as a brand but I just havent found one comfortable enough,with my personal peccadillos. 
    And no I don't take medication for them!
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 754
    edited October 2022
    Fascinating article and videos @WBT2079

Especially seeing 
    Mr. Hideo Ueda, the man involved in original FG development. I didn't know about him. I wonder how many people's love of the acoustic he has sparked over the years!

Suspect your explanation about it being FG3ii is correct. I think the 2 adverts are just for FG3's rather than being another iteration of the 2019 FG3. It's not a Yamaha classification. Might be a shop one. I have an FG830 and an FG5 at the moment, and had an FG for most of the 1970's. The FG830 is a lovely guitar but feels like a (very good) student model. The FG5 is a few steps up in finishing-off and tone and is a serious contender for a player's ultimate dreadnought imho. It would be great if Yamaha kept developing these finer FG's (I know, the LS/LL guitars are in that price range, but in my book, FG's are very different). People would pay for them, I think. The FG5 is still much cheaper than other comparable instruments. 

Yamaha, I know the philosophy of the FG has always been economy, but could you start a 'posh' FG department please?!