Easy transcription of the day

What's Hot
allenallen Frets: 710
My last thread on transcribing a Taylor Swift song generated a lot of interesting chat so I thought I'd post another simple pop song that I transcribed at the weekend.

It's Pure Shores by All Saints

I'm a lot more confident of my transcription this time.

Heres' my analysis, interested in others views:
It's just 4 chords, but it took me a few minutes because it doesn't start on the I chord so the standard tricks of looking for the vi,IV and V didn't work since the first chord played was the V.

From then on it's the same 4 chords all the way.

I haven't really worked out the little arpeggios in the intro, but I am just playing 2 strings (b and g) of the triads around the 9th fret.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• When the first chord is a C#, I immediately start thinking 'capo'.

You can capo at the 4th and play A, Bm, G, and D shapes.

Then I thought, if the guitar was tuned to Eb, it's just D, Em, C, and G.
  • I liked their song 'Black Coffee' wasn't it?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvoEvo Frets: 308
    You're not wrong, but just for the sake of offering a different perspective...

I'd probably still think of the song in Db rather than thinking of it starting on the V chord.

This gives us a I, ii, b7, IV 

Whenever you get a piece like this where the chord which "feels" like the I chord doesn't make theoretical sense then my first assumption is that it's a modal progression. In this case, Db mixolydian because of the b7 chord. Sweet home Alabama is the classic example where the theory says Gmajor/Eminor but the ears say D is the root...hence D mixolydian in that case. 

Just another viewpoint on it.
  • allenallen Frets: 710
    Evo said:
    You're not wrong, but just for the sake of offering a different perspective...

I'd probably still think of the song in Db rather than thinking of it starting on the V chord.

This gives us a I, ii, b7, IV 

Whenever you get a piece like this where the chord which "feels" like the I chord doesn't make theoretical sense then my first assumption is that it's a modal progression. In this case, Db mixolydian because of the b7 chord. Sweet home Alabama is the classic example where the theory says Gmajor/Eminor but the ears say D is the root...hence D mixolydian in that case. 

Just another viewpoint on it.
    Thanks, interesting perspective. 

I really am no expert and my ears are shite, but I do generally feel resolution on the F#. Although just played it back and see what you mean.

And I didn't know that about Sweet Home Alabama - good point, it does resolve on the D.
  • EvoEvo Frets: 308
    No problem,

It was mostly the melody which pointed me towards keeping Db as the root note as the verse phrases were resolving there.

As I said though, you’re not wrong and it’s just a different perspective. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10700
    I agree with Evo - it being a I ii bVII IV in Db mixolydian. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1681
    I liked their song 'Black Coffee' wasn't it?
    Great tune, great harmonies but the lyrics are poor.
  • DannyP said:
    I liked their song 'Black Coffee' wasn't it?
    Great tune, great harmonies but the lyrics are poor.
    It's a great 'sound'...William Orbit infused 90s pop (he didn't do Madonna any harm either).
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    edited June 2023
    Necro bump - Just happened upon this thread, as I've been working this one out after overhearing it while my son and his girlfriend were watching 'The Beach'.

This lady does a cracking job with her looper: I'm having fun in the sun, trying to work out the layered parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJCJr6wMpwg

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Nice, but a bit 'loose' timing-wise for me, although to be fair it does give it an organic feel.

When you say work out the layers, presumably the plucked bits are just arpeggios of the chords with a dotted eighth delay.

I have no idea on the bass.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Yeah the main chord progression, as discussed above, is Db, Ebm, B, F#, with a hang on G# on the 'I'm moving / I'm coming' bridge bit.

Haven't got the bass line down, yet.  The melody is easy, repetitive but sorta hypnotic, like the original record.

Maybe I need to score me a looper :D 

The first widdly arpeggio bit I've got as:
    e|-------------------|
    B|------6-7-6--------|
    G|--6-8-------8-6----|
    D|----------------8--|
    A|-------------------|
    E|-------------------|

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4189
    Melanie Blatt is cute
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1873
    Melanie Blatt is cute
    That word to describe someone or something always makes me want to tickle under their chin or scratch behind their ear. I think that lady is 'very attractive' or 'a damn fine filly' said in a Terry Thomas or Leslie Philips type of voice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I had a little dabble with it this afternoon for 20 minutes.