My New Creation - The Alternative David Gilmour Signature Stratocaster

What's Hot
TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1847
edited September 2013 in Guitar

When I first picked up a guitar, the reason behind it was because I had been bought a VHS video of Delicate Sound of Thunder Live - Pink Floyd. I must have watched that video a million times and the sounds that Gilmour could coax from the red strat he used on that tour were mesmerising - particularly the intro to "Sorrow" and of course the Comfortably Numb solo.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c239/jonny73/imagesCAX08KXH_zps767a20a0.jpg When my dad bought me my first electric guitar in 1989 for passing my GCSE's We couldnt find a red "strat", (it was never going to be a real one) I ended up with sunburst Tanglewood.

Forward wind to about 5 years ago and I found a 87 57RI in candy apple red and bought it, It was the best strat i had ever owned but like am idiot, i sold it (admitedly for a hefty profit)

But the Gilmour fanboy in me and the fact that I dont like the look of the real Gilmour sig has led me to hunt down another CAR 57RI and go for it, creating my own homage to the guitar that started it all for me. I sourced a 57RI admitedly it was a hot rod so a 9.5" radius neck, but it was a good price that menat I could get some EMG Gilmour pickups and still not over capitalise on the guitar.

Anyway after some considerable time, the "Gilmour Red Strat" lives I still have some detailing to do, such as the shortened trem arm and i need to get shot of the hideous mint 11 hole guard and get the proper 57 8 hole single ply on there. But here is the first shot of the body, strung up and working, better shots to come when i have the right plate etc http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c239/jonny73/photo_zps0e9675b5.jpg

0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stupid links - i'll try again
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    You don't need the [IMG] stuff just the direct link.
  • That's what I did - this normally works
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Just "Wow" buttoned that puppy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thought you'd like it
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    edited September 2013
    Like I said all I keep hearing every time I look at it is 'Yet Another Movie' and that apocalyptic guitar sound on the intro to 'Sorrow'..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    Fixed the link for you.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Gorgeous looking guitar - I think a maple neck on a red strat just looks so right. Personally I'd prefer the 9.5" radius to a vintage one as well.
  • I was in Giffin Guitars by Kew Bridge getting on for 30 years ago and Roger told me that Gilmour had just bought a bunch of AVRIs and they'd all been brought in to have the fingerboards planed to a flatter radius and to be refretted with larger frets. So there you go, the great man would probably have bought a Hot Rod too if they'd been available at the time!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    Fabulous.... That is all. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looking good, glad you got the emg's installed fine in the end!
  • fretfinder;33971" said:
    I was in Giffin Guitars by Kew Bridge getting on for 30 years ago and Roger told me that Gilmour had just bought a bunch of AVRIs and they'd all been brought in to have the fingerboards planed to a flatter radius and to be refretted with larger frets. So there you go, the great man would probably have bought a Hot Rod too if they'd been available at the time!
    I love that story!!
  • Hey Mr the-dog, that Strat is a thing of beauty. CAR is the best colour i recon, looks perfect with a sensibly radiused Maple neck.

Have a wow envy point on me, and I'm glad I could help you make it happen in my small way, nice to see it on here.  Cheers.

It's never too late to chase your dreams.

• Hey @chrismusic thanks for the nice comments mate!
  • I've fancied doing such a guitar for a while - vintage reissues and hot rods are great guitars. Great!
  • It may be sacrilege to admit this, but I my prefer Gilmour's red Strat to his black one.

Once you've got the right guard on that it will be fantastic. I've already 'wowed' it....
  • i really like the tone he got from those EMGs too, active pickups get a lot of stick on the interweb but DG made them sound fantastic

• Yeah they sound pretty good to me. I have 3 strats now and all are like chalk and cheese.

A black Japan squier which has a very vintage flavour, my silver USA deluxe which is a balls out rock machine and now the "DG" which is a bit of both and then some.

I bloody love strats
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    edited September 2013
    There's nothing inherently wrong with EMGs. I dont like them but Gilmour sounded great with them. Lukather sounds good - and SRV used them in one strat. Although cant remember if he actually liked them to be fair.

I vote for the red strat over the black.
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    I vote for red over black too.  First saw Gilmour with the red one and now the black one looks wrong!  The Momentary Lapse of Reason era is the first time I noticed PF so the Red Strat is the iconic one for me.  Particluarly in the Knebworth Nordoff-Robins concert when they played in the rain!  That event also have my fave Knopfler guitar (the Pensa) and my favourite Clapton guitar (Pewter signature) AND my iconic Clapton image of him in the Pink Versace suit.