Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bass for child

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBM said:

The Squier CV Mustangs are very nice, come in some girly colours, and I think sound better than the Fender Player - the small original-type pickup is clearer than the PJ ones on the Fender which sound somehow 'too much' and a bit confused.
    Thanks @ICBM . That's good to know. Surf Green had already been identified as the most girly colour, apparently.

From my quick research, it sounds like the main thing to check when trying is that the nut is okay and not cut too deep
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72372
    flying_pie said:

From my quick research, it sounds like the main thing to check when trying is that the nut is okay and not cut too deep
    Yes, although easily sorted (at least easily by a tech!) with some nut files, if it's not cut right.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    prowla said:
    A Fender MIM Mustang.
    I had a Squier Bronco for a while, but TBH it wasn't very good.
    As ever, if you buy used, you'll be able to sell it again for similar money and so it's no loss if it gets shelved.

Thanks all. We went to GG today to try a few...

and she much preferred the feel of a mustang. A bloody MIM Fender player mustang. No chance of that for a starter bass. Most likely the preference is not just the size but because the colour is girlly enough. And Broncos are a no no because they only come in boy colours.

Looks like I might have to see if they can get a Squier CV Mustang in to try. FWIW I thought the Ibanez Mikro was really great to play and sounded good too.

See - told you so!

Best not show her this picture of my Mustang, then...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• stonevibe said:
    Shame the D profile neck would be a bit much for tiny hands. They look great otherwise
  •  Not a child, but my niece (16) is getting a Squier Affinity Jaguar H for Christmas. One of her tutors in college (a very good bass player, if he’s who I think he is) has lent her one of his - a J&D Brothers, which looks like an imported thing around £150. I was suggesting a short scale thing like a Bronco but the Squier Affinity looks a bit nicer and I think the 32” scale will be an interesting compromise. Most importantly, it is available in Lake Placid Blue (I think she’s been eyeing up my Johnny Marr Jaguar)!
  • Thanks everybody. I managed to find an excellent condition used OW Squier CV Mustang. What a cracking little bass. She's absolutely delighted with r and daddy will be stealing it a lot.

Does anyone know if this pickguard would fit because apparently we need to make it more girly with something like a mint guard instead of the tortoise one

Does anyone know if this pickguard would fit because apparently we need to make it more girly with something like a mint guard instead of the tortoise one
    Don't know, but 4-ply aged white (or 'ivory') pearl is the right colour for a Mustang Bass - other than tortoise - and *way* more girly than mint green, which is vile especially on Olympic White.

:)

Or be much more creative... this chap does ones which will definitely fit in a huge variety of colours:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114931356468

(No affiliation, but the shop I used to work for has had a few from him.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks @ICBM . Your taste and mine won't matter. I see there's pink and pink pearl.... I fully expect something like that will get her attention!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EB3. 

I see there's pink and pink pearl.... I fully expect something like that will get her attention!
    Pink pearl would be stunning :).

• ICBM said:

I see there's pink and pink pearl.... I fully expect something like that will get her attention!
    We shall find out....
  • ICBM said:

https://postimg.cc/gw26rSzF

I'll let you draw your own conclusion. But we think it looks great
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    ICBM said:

That's awesome
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

Thats so good I'm considering getting one to do that to myself :D 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    edited January 2023

ICBM said:
    4-ply aged white (or 'ivory') pearl is the right colour for a Mustang Bass - other than tortoise - and *way* more girly than mint green, which is vile especially on Olympic White.
    Cheap tort usually looks naff. Black/white/black would be correct for the late Seventies look. Four-ply Mother-of-toilet seat is historically correct. Natural ageing turns it, first, the ivory pearl that ICBM recommended and, eventually, a shade more akin to rotten, nicotine-stained teeth. i.e. earlpilanz' cream pearl.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Seems like a fair swap