Boss RE-issues and limited run pedals?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    edited September 2013
    HW TS808s are hilarious. I don't go on the FX pages of TGP; I just can't take it seriously. It's got a blue switch so it must be good... :rolleyes:

Mericky baby-boomers really make I larf :)

Credit to Ibanez though... they've realised there is a tappable market of unlimited stupidity and have sunk a well right in the middle of it.

Loving that hand-wired IC ;). If I remember correctly a dual op-amp like this contains something like 56 internal components, mostly transistors. I think I can count 34 components - including the pots, excluding the IC, the switch and the LED - in that pedal. Which means that the bulk of it is in that little black machine-made chip :)).

Ah yes... here it is:

This is *half* a 4558. 28 components - 15 transistors (one a FET), 9 resistors, 2 capacitors, and two diodes (one zener). The chip contains two of these circuits.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    edited September 2013
    ^ Someone needs to start making mojosauce 4558s with germanium transistors, mullard capacitors and the like.

I mean I know there are already the supposedly higher-end chips like burr browns etc. but that's just lazy.

EDIT: actually someone should make a ts808 with discrete components instead of the op-amp. I reckon you could get about $5000 for it on TGP.

mike_l said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    Don't worry, I'm trolling the fuck out of that thread.

Top work.... 8-}
    Apparently not, they're not biting :(

Supposedly they sound good stacked. Or there's a double version for "only" $1000.
    Lol! Just read it. 600 dollars for a pedal? And that's the basic one?!

It's gooped. That means it's a clone. When was the last time that didn't mean "modified clone"?

When will these people learn that you can modify an existing circuit to restrict pot values in a" tone zone"? I'm going to hazard a guess that's probably what's going on.

I don't even know what "bloom" is.

Edjt: happy to be proven wrong, though.
    LOL yeah I saw that. And you're right, it seems to be $600. I should have known, $500 is a bit on the cheap side for a decent ovedrive pedal.

The fancier ones are even more. It's crazy.

Agreed with you, too- I wouldn't say it's definitely not a clone or lightly modified clone (or with the controls neutered, as you said). But on the law of averages (especially with the goop and iffy-quality wiring etc.), based on what's happened before, it's a fairly safe bet it is. Safe enough that if I did want one (I don't), I'd wait until it was reverse-engineered, just in case.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    mike_l said:
    funny that i dont like tubescreamers, i prefer a bad monkey into a valve amp or an sd1 into s/s... I find them a bit to (cant think of a better word) flubby.
    Huzzah another person who thinks exactly like i do. 
  • Dave_Mc said:
    ^ Someone needs to start making mojosauce 4558s with germanium transistors, mullard capacitors and the like.

I mean I know there are already the supposedly higher-end chips like burr browns etc. but that's just lazy.

EDIT: actually someone should make a ts808 with discrete components instead of the op-amp. I reckon you could get about $5000 for it on TGP.

mike_l said:
    Dave_Mc said:

Top work.... 8-}

Supposedly they sound good stacked. Or there's a double version for "only" $1000.
    Lol! Just read it. 600 dollars for a pedal? And that's the basic one?!

It's gooped. That means it's a clone. When was the last time that didn't mean "modified clone"?

When will these people learn that you can modify an existing circuit to restrict pot values in a" tone zone"? I'm going to hazard a guess that's probably what's going on.

I don't even know what "bloom" is.

Edjt: happy to be proven wrong, though.
    LOL yeah I saw that. And you're right, it seems to be $600. I should have known, $500 is a bit on the cheap side for a decent ovedrive pedal.

The fancier ones are even more. It's crazy.

Agreed with you, too- I wouldn't say it's definitely not a clone or lightly modified clone (or with the controls neutered, as you said). But on the law of averages (especially with the goop and iffy-quality wiring etc.), based on what's happened before, it's a fairly safe bet it is. Safe enough that if I did want one (I don't), I'd wait until it was reverse-engineered, just in case.
    Definitely.  But I just saw a few demos and...Er...It doesn't sound good.  It's very buzzy but smooth, kind of like the Boss DS-2 or 3, but with a different character. 

I wonder if it would be so coveted if it was $100?
  • On a side note, I would very much like Boss to not reissue, but to carry on bringing out new designs - the dyna drive is one of the best drives I've heard, but no one will even try them! Fine by me :P

If they did reissue, I would like to see a classic chorus pedal.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Dave_Mc said:

Top work.... 8-}

Yet, don't forget the Yet.

Isn't that where someone was argueing the glue on LP's made a difference to tone?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    edited September 2013
    Definitely.  But I just saw a few demos and...Er...It doesn't sound good.  It's very buzzy but smooth, kind of like the Boss DS-2 or 3, but with a different character. 

I wonder if it would be so coveted if it was $100?
    I didn't actually bother checking the demos :)) I did see a couple of people saying that it just sounded like a bog standard overdrive, which wouldn't surprise me :)) I must check out those demos for a laugh now you mention it :)

And yeah if it were a sensible price they'd be saying how it was good, but only for the money. And that the expensive pedals were far better/had mojo/whatever. That's pretty much exactly what happened with the freekish thing. :))
    mike_l said:
    Yet, don't forget the Yet.

Isn't that where someone was argueing the glue on LP's made a difference to tone?
    LOL

And yeah I think so. I don't normally pay much attention to the LP-type threads, but I have a feeling that's where the whole people buying a brand new CS Les Paul only to send it away to be disassembled and stuck back together with the "right" glue (for $$$$) started. Maybe it was the MyLP (whatever it's called, I don't go there) forum. Either way it's pretty funny.

And yeah regarding the original question, I'd be happy enough if they just reissued the couple of really sought-after pedals they had (or put circuits back to the original way they were, e.g. DS1) for sensible money and then just kept coming up with new pedals.