Nail lacquer?

What's Hot

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited November 2022
    @snags ;;;  -   quite literally got some glass files couple of week back  -  massively better/finer  than anything "sand or metal" based Ive used previously.   

under a tenner on Amazon  -  pack of 3   small/med/large  (large is about 5" )

ah ere ya go - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08YK1CPN6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896
    bertie said:
    @snags @ToneControl ;;      -   

been using it about 6 - 8 weeks now,   once or twice a day (if I remember)  they are certainly a bit stronger,  but what I have just noticed,  its fixed a week spot on my middle finger, that used to get to 2 or 3 mm, then split about 1/3 of the way in,  "vertical" split back towards the quick but only along the external/protruding bit -  I guess there was a weakness somewhere along back to the quick as it always split in the same place  . Id had it for about 3 years..............and it looks to have gone now - just, about a week or so ago 

Im assuming its "helping" back at the quick, and massaging it in   is helping promote new "un broken" nail growth

Ive also got a weak spot developed on the thumb nail,  its an angled split,  so the "top" is 1/3 away from thumb edge but is angled back to the same edge so closer to the edge "under the nail"  -  if that makes sense  -   but this isnt "yet" fixed  - 
    what I also do is file them smooth with a very fine glass nail shaper, then smooth with very very fine nail blocks- those ones intended to smooth the surface of nails, then use the "shine / buff" surface, which is a polishing surface. i.e. very fine abrasives
    Once very fine (check with a magnifying glass to see the difference), my nails rarely split or tear
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Ive weak nails so I've sent off for Barrielle after reading this thread.

Thanks @bertie ;

:) 
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    It should be mentioned that Barielle is brilliant (I am a regular user) - but it is not an instant hardening lacquer. It is a very good nail strengthening cream which needs a little time to start having effect (I noticed positive results in the first week with the recommended initial twice-a-day application).

Also, as has been said, elsewhere, examine your nails regularly and, at the least sign of uneveness, splitting or cracking, then file and buff them out.

It is a bit ironic that fingerstyle guitarists spend a lot of time and money experimenting with different strings, nut/beidge materials and even bridge pins whilst neglecting fingernails - which can have such a major impact on tone. I'm as guilty as anyone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just got my barielle (thanks for all recommendations) - tiny pot so hope it lasts. Will report back in some months..
  • Just to note... barielle has really improved things... even after a few days.
    I read on their website something about horse's hooves lol... But for sure I'm able to do aggressive strumming with the nails without them feeling thin and having to leave off playing for some days. 
  • Just to note... barielle has really improved things... even after a few days.
    I read on their website something about horse's hooves lol... But for sure I'm able to do aggressive strumming with the nails without them feeling thin and having to leave off playing for some days. 
    Yes, it's an excellent product. 
    Just to note... barielle has really improved things... even after a few days.
    There used to be a product called "As Hard as Hooves" for nails - which seems to have disappeared. I first came across Barielle when I was searching for it - and have been a user ever since. Yes, it is good.
  • GTC said:
    Just to note... barielle has really improved things... even after a few days.
    There used to be a product called "As Hard as Hooves" for nails - which seems to have disappeared. I first came across Barielle when I was searching for it - and have been a user ever since. Yes, it is good.
    I'd hate to be playing a guitar with the touch of a racehorse though.
    I bet Red Rum would have been a great guitarist. He had the look of a horse that could do anything well =)
  • GTC said:
    I bet Red Rum would have been a great guitarist. He had the look of a horse that could do anything well =)
    Wasnt he the lead singer in Band of Horses?
  • I use Nailtiques Formula No.2 which is about 12 quid on Amazon for a small bottle. It’s like a nail varnish that your nails seem to absorb a bit. They do look shiny but it doesn’t chip off in the same way as the normal stuff.

im very interested in that cream (above) especially as we’re going into winter. 

The other thing is keep the nail edge smooth with some fine sandpaper. As soon as you get a little ‘Nick’ in the edge it’ll catch and rip or split. 
  • The nailtiques was recommended on the delcamp classical forum and seems to have a lot of fans. 
    I use Nailtiques Formula No.2 which is about 12 quid on Amazon for a small bottle. It’s like a nail varnish that your nails seem to absorb a bit. They do look shiny but it doesn’t chip off in the same way as the normal stuff.

The other thing is keep the nail edge smooth with some fine sandpaper. As soon as you get a little ‘Nick’ in the edge it’ll catch and rip or split. 
    Interesting - it might be worth giving Nailitiques a try. I looked it up - No. 2 is supposed to be for growth whilst no. 4 is for strength, which migh tbe more suitable for some (including me)
  • The thread that Mumsnet would be extremely proud to host!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    On his website and also on yootoob is James Taylor giving his guitar player regime for maintaining his nails. It’s quite detailed and he explains how he got there over the decades of touring etc. might be worth seeking out.
  • My Barielle arrived yesterday (finally). I'm assuming I need to, or at least, am OK to, carry on with Hard as Nails on at least the tips of the nails until the Barielle has had some time to work? Presumably the Barielle has most effect from the root?
  • Airmiles said:
    My Barielle arrived yesterday (finally). I'm assuming I need to, or at least, am OK to, carry on with Hard as Nails on at least the tips of the nails until the Barielle has had some time to work? Presumably the Barielle has most effect from the root?
    I massage the Barielle cream into my nails, so I wouldn't want anything to inhibit absorption. 
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 578
    Bertie told me about this cream some time ago.
    I use Nailtiques Formula No.2 which is about 12 quid on Amazon for a small bottle. It’s like a nail varnish that your nails seem to absorb a bit. They do look shiny but it doesn’t chip off in the same way as the normal stuff.

I've been a long term Bariellle user and have been impressed. However, I still had an issue with chipping of the middle nail of my left hand (I'm left-handed). So - a month ago I thought I'd give Nailtiques a go based on the above. So far, very good. No chipping, nails feel stronger and a resultant better tone to my classical playing.