Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Thomann bargains: Gibson lefty firebird and Fender modern player jaguar

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• I am now responsible for three fretboarders having to have an awkward conversation with their significant others.
    she was out when it arrived, I put the empty box in my junk room. Do I have to confess?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I am now responsible for three fretboarders having to have an awkward conversation with their significant others.
    she was out when it arrived, I put the empty box in my junk room. Do I have to confess?
    Only if she notices it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    "Oh this one? No I've had it for ages..."
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8538
    Mmmmm, mines due any day, not yet sure how I'm gonna square this one as a new Les Paul only rocked up last Friday!

Glad first reports are good though, intending to mod the hell out of it!
  • @dindude Make sure to start a thread about it.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8538
    Sure thing
  • @longjaw be interested in your review of the firebird, I love those guitars and often wondered why Ive never seen a a full on lefty 'standard' firebird...
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423

Just been informed my Firebird has been delivered - got a rehearsal tonight so I'll be able to play it at full wallop! :)

Pictures and thoughts on build quality/playability/sound to follow!

• longjaw said:

Just been informed my Firebird has been delivered - got a rehearsal tonight so I'll be able to play it at full wallop! :)

Pictures and thoughts on build quality/playability/sound to follow!

I can't stand the suspense!
    edited September 2014
    Well I had a good play on the Firebird last night and love it, I'm impressed with the build quality and satin finish - very nicely applied. The only slight annoyance is the bridge pick-up wobbles a bit when touched as there's only 2 screws attaching the unit to the body.

It sounds great too - quite high output mini-humbuckers that are spot on for the tone I like.

Something I have noticed is the tailpiece isn't screwed down to the body and it'll create quite a big angle on the bridge unit if I do which could lead to strings breaking so I'll probably wrap around the strings when I re-string it. All in all I think it's a keeper!

Sorry about the size and quality of the photo BTW!
  • I wouldn't worry, they're screwable to adjust for the neck angle :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Glad you like the tone! Annoying about the rattles though- I find some packing foam works for keeping pickups steady but I don't know how they are loaded in a firebird. As for the tailpiece angle, changing the string direction may be worth a try but then, might not actually be an issue...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom