NGD Finally found the one

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Great result @Smellyfingers. As a Furch owner myself, I agree, they are very fine guitars. Glad you found just what you wanted and at a great price. HNGD.  :-)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtop said:
    Good to read about this - I presume Furchs are all still made in Europe? And not China?

I'd been eying the Eastman 00 and feel increasingly unhappy about buying Chinese, so Furch could be an option. Wonder if they do a 12-fret 00 style?
    Not sure but they’ve got a very comprehensive website in which you can input the exact specs and see what comes up.

I think a solid wood Eastman will be significantly cheaper than a similarly specced new Furch. I personally found the Eastman tone to be quite bland, but obviously the only way to properly compare is to try them side by side.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    BigPaulie said:
    goldtop said:
    Good to read about this - I presume Furchs are all still made in Europe? And not China?

I'd been eying the Eastman 00 and feel increasingly unhappy about buying Chinese, so Furch could be an option. Wonder if they do a 12-fret 00 style?
    Careful now.

If you express any reservations about Eastman or Chinese manufacture round here you will be descended upon by rabid owners whose reaction will have you convinced you just questioned their mothers' fidelity.
    :) I have no real doubts about the quality of woods nor manufacturing. It's purely ideological.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5468
    It's not ideology, it's ethics. Labour and safety standards aside, Chinese manufacturers use more illegally logged pirate timber than all other countries combined. (This is according to Interpol. Obviously most of that wanton environmental genocide is down to other products like furniture, but guitar manufacture plays its part.) 

Until China cleans up its act and starts acting like a responsible, grown-up country, I flat refuse to buy Chinese-made timber products* and do my best to avoid other Chinese products too. Indonesia is tarred with the same brush.

* Exception. I recently bought a cheap Yamaha made in China (or possibly Indonesia, there is some confusion). Yamaha go to considerable trouble to use sustainable timbers and document that. So I don't mind buying Yamaha. Some other Chinese-made guitars claim to use responsible sourcing, but provide no evidence. There is no reason at present to treat such claims as anything other than greenwashing. To be sure, we cannot be 100% certain about the provenance of any guitar made in any country, there is always some risk. Chinese-made products, however, are in the red alert high risk category. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Tannin said:
    Furch
    All solid
    Cedar
    Mahogany
    £700

That's five ticks out of five. Good one!

Agreed and nice one, OP!!
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    The story I heard is that there was a thriving bluegrass scene in Czechoslovakia and the inability to source American instruments meant that they ended up making their own banjos, guitars and mandolins.

I've got a Furch-made (Stanford badged) OM and a Lebeda F5 mandolin - both from the Czech Republic and both great instruments. Your dread looks fantastic and I'm sure you'll love it. Enjoy. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Congratulations! I love my Furch!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.