Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How long do you take to change a set of strings on your guitar

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3706
    bertie said:
    drofluf said:
    My Furch has locking tuners makes it really fast to restring. . 
    and to assist them staying in place when you pack it down I assume :) 
    Spot on!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Depends which guitar it is but usually about 15-20 minutes, longer if the fretboard needs a clean.
  • CoolCat said:
    Personally, I like to take my time, enjoying the process whilst drinking a beer or two.

Saw this video on Youtube - a set of strings changed in 2.08 minutes and tuned to concert pitch!

How Fast Can Rob Change a Set of Strings on a Taylor Guitar? - YouTube
    IIRC Taylor recommend the very simple stringing method that I was taught as a kid.
    I find doing the knot wrapping thing more time consuming. Always forget how to do it.  :s

• Depending on which guitar I'm restringing I'd say 15 minutes.  However every 3 or 4 sets I'll clean and condition the fingerboard (montys stuff is ace) and run some micrmesh over the frets. Even then it's sub an hour
  • It’s my least favourite job , I’m absolutely kak handed at it , especially the high strings 
      It’s ok on most of my guitars which are locking tuners or double locking .
      But . . On the other it’s a pain in the ass . I’ve got worse with having not to do it 
  • Depends. 

If for some reason I have to change all strings and that's it, then it takes about 5 mins. 

But normally if I'm going to all the bother of changing all the strings, then I'm going to use the opportunity to do some other stuff for the guitar. Such as a good clean and oil.

These days with gigs being few and far between, I generally change strings the week before a gig.

• I change mine every couple of gigs. I like to take my time given the guitar a lovely clean, light fret polish and check setup. I like to think my guitars are always in tip top condition and playability. So prolly about 1.5 hrs, but I do it in front of the telly and enjoy it.  
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    CoolCat said:
    Personally, I like to take my time, enjoying the process whilst drinking a beer or two.

Saw this video on Youtube - a set of strings changed in 2.08 minutes and tuned to concert pitch!

I like to take my time over it, too, but two beers?? Do you drink really fast, or change strings very slowly..?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    It used to take me about 10mins on an acoustic, but now with the joys of aging eyesight it takes me about 5mins just to find each tuner hole and thread the string!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 158
    edited November 2022
    usedtobe said:
    CoolCat said:

I like to take my time over it, too, but two beers?? Do you drink really fast or change strings very slowly..?
    Ha ha, I'm not that fast a drinker. I take my time and, as others have mentioned, I too spend it on cleaning and polishing. I have a second guitar, an old classical, which I sort out at the same time.
    'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
  • What? Strings can be changed? 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    edited November 2022
    Probably about 15 to 20 minutes but I normally watch something on TV or YouTube while I do it.

It does vary depending on which guitar.  The ones with locking tuners are the easiest.  The Gretsch with Bigsby is the most fiddly and time consuming.
  • I can't be gassed changing strings, hate the process, so probably leave strings on longer than they should.....
    Takes me ages, especially on a Slot head.
  • Takes a while, but i tend to clean it, check the battery etc and faff about. Also eyesight not what it was which tends to slow things down. 
  • It took me ages until I found the wallpaper pasting table hidden away so now about 10-15 minutes or a little more if adding a fret and/or fretboard clean.