Folk acoustic strumming - which type of plectrum / pick records best in your experience?

What's Hot
rze99rze99 Frets: 2292

Just curious if there is a type of plectrum / pick records best in your experience?
For myself, results SEEM a touch more even and sweet if the guitarist uses a thin or thinnish Fender type plectrum or is that a bit of an aural illusion on my part? as a guitarist, my strumming seems more even with a thinner pick so could well be just me.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm generally looking for a percussive and rhythmic sound when recording a strummed acoustic and find a thinner pick works better, both for sound and technique. I think I remember reading once that Keith Richards (or someone of that ilk) used a very flexible pick made from a Fairy Liquid bottle on a well-known track. I think the adjustable bridge on some Gibson acoustics contributed a lot to that kind of sound as well. 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    edited November 2022
    Most of my gigs involves folk, I use Tortex point 50 but sometimes Wegen. 

I think Richards uses a Tortex point. 60 (orange), at least that's what the Stones sometimes hand out to fans  

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    I agree with the two other posters. I did an album with acoustic guitar backing singers and found that a .73mm pick gave me the balance between enough body in a strum and the thwacky sound of a pick strumming strings.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    .5 to .73 sounds about right for a range.  Thinner for pure strumming and faster strumming, a little thicker if more lead type stuff is in order.  

Too thick and the guitar comes off as boxy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • UngulateUngulate Frets: 223
    edited November 2022
    Interesting I've just settled on 0.73 & a thin Fender as my 2 faves, just not sure how thick the thin Fender is...shall google...
    Jeez, is it really 0.44mm!!
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2292
    Ungulate said:
    Interesting I've just settled on 0.73 & a thin Fender as my 2 faves, just not sure how thick the thin Fender is...shall google...
    Jeez, is it really 0.44mm!!
    They tend to split on me…
  • UngulateUngulate Frets: 223
    Yeah, my current one is developing a bend to one side....Good job they're cheap.
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 236
    I tend to use thin ones as they give a more open sound than heavier ones. Depends on your technique I suppose. 
    They're cheap enough, buy half a dozen different thicknesses & try 'em out!

• Picking a pick is quite complex as there are several important variables:

a) what tone you're looking for
    b) the pick material - the more rigid the material the harder the sound
    c) Pick thickness - thinner tends to brightness and click and thicker tends to be more mellow
    d) Pick sharpness - sharper is brighter
    e) where you pick - brighter towards the saddle

I'm sure someone out there knows more than I do but this is a starter for 10. If you're recording there are even more variables depending on how you are recording and the equipment you are using. Then there's post recording manipulation.

MINEFIELD.
  • ZoonyboyZoonyboy Frets: 168
    If you're just strumming along with a track, use a really light pick. A top recording engineer insisted on me doing this once, and it sounded fab. With my regular extra heavy it sounded boomy and awful. A lot depends upon the engineer and what compression he chooses, as well as how it is mic'd up. Don't play too hard! Get comfy. Try a few things. But go THIN.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom