Fitting a pick guard to an acoustic guitar??

What's Hot
Looking for some advice please,
I have just purchased a Fender Redondo mahogany special. 
It is a natural wood satin finish and has no pick guard.
I have played it for a couple of weeks now and after changing the strings I really enjoy the sound of it.
But I have found I am scratching the the top face with the pick. Its not too bad at present but will only get worse for sure.
If I were to fit a self adhesive pick guard will it alter the sound of the guitar.
Or should I live with it and let the guitar age gracefully?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7278
    I believe it does alter the sound of the guitar, but it most likely depends entirely on the guitar and how thick the pick guard is.  I bought a little budget priced Fender parlour guitar that came fitted with a pickguard.  It was a pretty thin cheap plastic one.  The top is a nice dark sunburst and it seemed a pity to be covering a lot of it with a black pickguard, so I peeled it off.  I immediately noticed a distinct improvement in tone, which is hardly surprising given that the soundboard on a parlour sized guitar is already a good bit smaller than even an OM size.

Acoustic scratchplates are quite flexible plastic, and if you add to that the weight and rubberiness of the adhesive, it's bound to have some slowing down and damping effect on the vibration of the soundboard.  Whether it would be enough for you to hear is the question.  I wonder if it would be worth experimenting by cutting a piece of plastic to roughly a pickguard shape and sticking it down temporarily where a pickguard would go using something like easily peelable "masking" tape, as used by decorators.  You could fold a couple of pieces over themselves in a circle to make a non-permanent double-sided tape under the middle of the temporary pickguard.  The only thing I can think of as I look around my house is an old DVD case that would be easy enough to cut with scissors and wouldn't be too much smaller than a pickguard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    If the pickguard is thin I don't think it will make a significant difference.

Having looked at a pic of the guitar - as I wasn't familiar with the model and thought all Fender acoustics came with a (usually slightly odd-shaped) pickguard - I have to say I think it will *look* a lot better with one, regardless of the wear... dreadnoughts just don't look right without them.

Personally, I would try to find a proper Fender-shaped one - I can't see one from a quick search online, but you may be able to have one made.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thank you for the replies, it would be interesting to try a temporary guard and see what sound change it makes. I do agree that this guitar shape looks better with a guard fitted. I just wonder why the solid mahogany don't have them fitted at the factory.
  • JJ72JJ72 Frets: 57
    I've got a Guild D-240 and hated the very thin cellulose pickguard it came with.
    I took it off for aesthetic purposes planning to fit a new guard more to my liking but I was amazed how much better it sounded without it do it remains pickguardless atm
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JJ72 said:
    I've got a Guild D-240 and hated the very thin cellulose pickguard it came with.
    I took it off for aesthetic purposes planning to fit a new guard more to my liking but I was amazed how much better it sounded without it do it remains pickguardless atm
    OK so fitting a guard will probably change the sound. I enjoy the sound it currently gives so a permanent guard will be out. 
    edited November 2022
    I must be the odd one out, because I actually prefer the look of it without the pickguard.  I like seeing the mahogany.  The Special Edition all mahogany "Player" model has what looks like a two ply pickguard, with a caramel or gold colour top layer on a white bottom layer.
    I definitely think that's the only colour that would suit your guitar if you were going to put one on, and it looks as though that's the only colour used on all three of the California Series acoustics (Redondo, Malibu, Newporter).  When I look at the fender GB site under "parts", all they seem to sell are parts for electric guitars, basses and amps.  I think you would have to contact them and see whether they do sell replacements.

Back in the mid 80s I had a sunburst original Fender Malibu acoustic, made from the mid to late 60s along with others like the Redondo that had the (almost) Strat headstock shape.  I think mine was made in 1969.  The pickguard was quite a similar shape to the new ones but I have a feeling it was screwed down onto the top. The bodies of the Malibu and Redondo back then were more dreadnought than the modern ones that seem to have more nipped in waists and narrower bouts.  I picked it up for buttons because they weren't popular at the time and it wasn't in great condition, but it played well by the time I tarted it up and sold it.  I really liked that guitar and I've often looked at the modern version of them wondering whether I needed another guitar.
  • sev112 said:
    I will certainly try to get one of these, none sticky, none permanent why wouldn't I try this as a solution.
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    bobwill said:
    sev112 said:
    I will certainly try to get one of these, none sticky, none permanent why wouldn't I try this as a solution.
    Be

be very careful with those thin film ones. I used one on an Atkin guitar and whilst I usually took it on and offer very time I played, the one time I forgot for 2days it permanently blistered the sound board lacquer over a large area. So much for trying to protect the guitar top!
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5463
    Beware - a pickguard is a one-way process. Once you put one on, you can't ever take it off again as the wood stops fading (dark woods) or yellowing (light woods) and there is no way to re-match the two colours. I frequently regret putting the guard on my Huon Pine Angel. It is such a lovely piece of wood, 3500 years old and I stupidly put a guard on it.

(I imagine that the colour change thing does not apply to clear guards.)

Of course, if you are hitting the top when you strum (which always strikes me as sloppy technique) then a guard is a good idea.

In general, I agree with @BillDL - most guitars look better without a guard. But some seem a bit vacant that way and a guard suits them.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    I'd say if a pickguard is going to bother you (it may have an effect on the tone you like), leave it off.

Look instead at your strumming hand. What is it doing that lets the pick scratch the soundboard? Work on avoiding that.

I'm agreeing with @Tannin.

:) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 236
    Lowden website sells clear ones for a tenner, with "fitting instructions included" - but they have a 'chat' pop-up who could elaborate.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Tannin said:
    Beware - a pickguard is a one-way process. Once you put one on, you can't ever take it off again as the wood stops fading (dark woods) or yellowing (light woods) and there is no way to re-match the two colours. I frequently regret putting the guard on my Huon Pine Angel. It is such a lovely piece of wood, 3500 years old and I stupidly put a guard on it.

(I imagine that the colour change thing does not apply to clear guards.)
    The un-aged area will catch up eventually, but it could take years and will look quite unsightly in the mean time. The rate of colour change slows down over time so even though the rest will continue to age as well, it won’t change as much.

Clear guards can do it as well, since they can be opaque to ultraviolet light even if transparent to visible.

I agree that you should always assume it’s a one-way process though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DavidRDavidR Frets: 747
    Fitted this clear plastic pickguard
    [Healingshield] Premium Acoustic Guitar Pickguard Basic Type Clear matt : Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments & DJ
    to one of these, which didn't ship with one
    Vintage V300 Folk Acoustic Guitar, Mahogany at Gear4music
    and it looks nice. Definitely didn't alter tone - I played instrument for 1m before noticing there was no pickguard. So a pretty thorough A/B!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 335
    edited November 2022
    What's the worst that could happen?
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    jca74 said:
    What's the worst that could happen?
    Well, as I discovered it melts your guitar top finish!! Not great :( :( 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have looked at various options and suggestions you have all given and I think Tannin is spot on.
    Tannin you said the problem could be SLOPEY  PLAYING. Well yes how accurate that statement is. I have looked at what I am doing and it is tipping the guitar towards me at the top and strumming vertically. Now at this point I could suggest that 3 years of only playing a Les Paul and the extra width of an acoustic but that would be just an excuse so I am not going there.
    Posture changes is what is needed nothing else.
    I purchased the guitar because I liked the sound and it's looks, I should at least play it properly it deserves that.
    Thanks all especially Tannin.

edited November 2022
    I do the same tilting thing when I'm sitting and it plays havoc with my in-tuneness because my fingers are pulling down slightly on the strings from the way my hand has to come around further under the neck.  I am always having to remind myself to hold the guitar vertically.
  • Yes playing the acoustic with it sitting upright is causing me more issues than I thought. I am trying to site the front face of the guitar in the same position as when playing the LP. I need to practice repositioning my strumming arm further away from my body I am sure I will get it.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    I tilt the guitat too when playing seated. I don't scratch th top with the pick, though.

It's just the way I've always done it for years now, having been forced into playing seated through an hip issue that won't let me do a long gig standing.

:) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom