SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Headphone Amplifier / DAC

What's Hot
Some time ago I posted a query about how to increase the volume of backing music when connecting my mobile phone (via its headphone jack) to my Fender LT25 amp aux-in.

Whilst there were some suggestions and explanations of why phone output volume is restricted, I never actually did anything about it and have just continued to endure the annoyance.

I spotted this today, in an email from What hifi?

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p-45675-audioquest-dragonfly-cobalt-usb-dac-headphone-amplifier.aspx

and just wondered if anyone on tFB uses such and can tell me definitively whether or not this would definitely boost the backing music volume through my amp?

Do I just need the cheapest one? Are there  better alternatives? Are any of them worth it?

Any advice welcome.

Ta.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I don't know if it will help, but I just sold a HRT Music Streamer II. Think it will do pretty much the same job and the 2nd hand prices are a fraction of that Dragonfly. In use I was then connecting it to a Pro-Ject Head-Box II headphone amp, which again you can get 2nd hand for not much. I enjoyed both while I was using them (listening to music from laptops, feigning the life of an audiophile). 

The advantage of that Dragonfly is you'll need less space and cables. Can't say whether it will help, but you can certainly experiment for much much less
  • Thanks @personalnadir ; ... does anyone else have any experience or insights or indeed tips to get round the volume restrictions of headphones output from a mobile device?
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I’m not sure but that seems a very expensive way of boosting a signal.

so you are trying to boost the phone audio output ( 3.5mm ? ) to get a louder signal into your amp ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes ... that's the fundamental challenge.
  • I don’t know if you’ve tried/consdered this, but I would try a small headphone amplifier like a Behringer HA400 or MA400. I bought one recently but sold it before I got a chance to try it out properly (turned out the problem I was trying to solve had been fixed in a firmware update). I don’t know if they provide more than unity gain though, but I can’t see why it shouldn’t. A better bet might be one of these tiny desktop mixers - always a useful thing to have when you’re routing audio signals from and to various bits of equipment.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    For android?
    I use an app called Bluetooth Music Widget Battery by Magdelphi. mainly for my Bluetooth headphones, but it has a sound booster which pumps out a ridiculous volume from the phone, not just Bluetooth. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've strayed into the minefield of DAC and headphone amps and it's doing in ma heid :anguished:  ... I just wanna get a gizmo that'll help me boost phone volume through my amp.

I am about to push the button and get a 
    FiiO A3 (E11k):

https://amzn.eu/d/5AElWuE

does anyone have one? is there any reason why I shouldn't?

Stu

• mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
    stufisher said:
    I've strayed into the minefield of DAC and headphone amps and it's doing in ma heid :anguished:  ... I just wanna get a gizmo that'll help me boost phone volume through my amp.

I am about to push the button and get a FiiO A3 (E11k):

https://amzn.eu/d/5AElWuE

does anyone have one? is there any reason why I shouldn't?

Stu

I have an FiiO M11 Pro and it's mega. Sound quality is awesome if you pair it with a decent set of headphones. It's another thing to cart around if that bothers you, but other than that it's worth it if you are wanting to prioritise audio quality.
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."
  • IndieeIndiee Frets: 13
    quick 2p.  To majority of people looking at portable dac/amp for phone including (bluetooth) the qudelix 5k is still the best buy...   fiio has the brt5 which is more easily avail ( but not as good eq options...).  I can power my big cans using the balanced output, and of course all my iem's as well...

If you just want to boost signal from your 3.5mm output then just an amp would work.  I have an old Fiio amp I plan to sale soon for cheap..   Pretty sure it's the fiio A5 
  • Many thanks @Indiee ; ... I await Santa's chimney drop ... I'm confident that Mrs F will have clicked on the link I sent her to order a FiiO A3 (E11K), which, to your point, I think should be all that I need.

GLWS of your A5 :+1: 
  • Typical innit ... I've just finished my research on this subject and then yesterday the rave reviews (Forbes, What HiFi, Stuff et al) start flying about for this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marksparrow/2022/12/05/astellkerns-reveals-the-new-hc3-a-luxury-and-lightweight-usb-dac/?sh=d04093f10d46

Just thought it was worth sharing the intel in case any one else is in the market to buy a good portable amp/DAC ... especially for an Apple device, as they appear to have sorted the connectivity challenges.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
    So, Mrs F gifted me an FiiO A3 (E11K) headphone amplifier for Crimbo and in less than a month I can say it has transformed my playing/practising experience.

I knew the pre-amp through my aux-in cable into my Fender Mustang LT25 would help but fuqqme ... what a difference. The hi-gain and bass-boost switches just bring everything to life ... for home-playing this is a perfect gizmo. I love it. Notwithstanding, it's half the size of a fag-packet, portable and has a double-jack to connect to a smart device.

If anyone is looking for an affordable, capable, portable volume booster for backing music etc. then I recommend wholeheartedly.