Nik Turner - Hawkwind

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7150
edited November 2022 in Tributes
Rumours online are he has died.

The source is Lemmy's son, so a fairly trustworthy one.

https://www.facebook.com/paulinderkilmister1

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22925
    Another person I thought had died many years ago!

Hawkwind were the first (professional) band I ever saw live, back in 1979, but I think Nik Turner had departed before then.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18812
    Saw Hawkwind twice in 1973 (Windsor Free Festival & Leeds Queens Hall)  & a few times afterward. Great live band.
     RIP Nik.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6690
    edited November 2022
    Met Nik when he worked for Gerry Cottle's Circus many years ago. I had a friends who were circus performers and got to hang with the band. 

A few months after meeting him his band Inner City Unit were playing at The Albert Dock in Liverpool where I was living at the time (Liverpool, not The Albert Dock). I went down for the sound-check and he comped me in for the gig. Great hang. And Lemmy turned up as I think he was playing nearby (even though I thought he hated Nik) and Lemmy taught me how to snort vodka from the bottom (upside down base) of a shot glass.  

If the rumours are true, then so long Nik. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7150
    edited November 2022
    Stacia has just confirmed it, he died this morning.

RIP Nik

• blobbblobb Frets: 2957
    The Cat with the Silver Face.

RIP Nik.

nik-turner on Tumblr

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1267
    RIP Thunder Rider
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1267
    edited November 2022
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited November 2022
    R.I.P. 

I was there in 1970.  16.   Phun City, behind the stage at the IOW. 
    You got given a cup of orange juice when you went in; my mate didn't want it so I drank his and mine.
    B
    I can still remember the exact riff they played, to this day.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Saw Hawkwind quite a few times in the early 70s. Always great value. RIP Nik. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    I didn't get into Hawkwind till Quark Strangeness and Charm so just missed the Nik Turner years for seeing Hawkwind live.
    I know all the early stuff inside out. Nik Turner's contribution to that sound is definitive. 
    Rather weirdly, yesterday morning I was thinking about how I really fancy playing in a Hawkwind-like space rock project and found myself wondering how many birthdays Dave Brock had under his belt. 
    Sad to hear of Nik's passing.  But nice to think of him... charged with cosmic energy.... floating again... floating away. 

• Sorry to hear this. I possibly saw Hawkwind more than any other band. I can't actually recall if Nik was with them the first time.
    Sax & flute don't seem like things that should fit with their sound but they really did.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    I was too young to see him play in Hawkwind but saw him play with ICU a few times and he was always great. Rest in peace Nik. 
    ...I possibly saw Hawkwind more than any other band.

@historyisjunk -- same for me too.  To be fair it may have been that Hawkwind were somehow always there at every festival even if it was just three people in a mushroom field in Wales. 
    But yes, saw them a lot. 
    I've since realised that I would have seen Nik Turner in ICU but I can't remember anything about them. 

• With me it was just that they always came round most years, or seemed to. They had quite a work ethic- considering their reputation. I never saw them at a festival, but I know they always seemed to be playing them. I never saw ICU, but somewhere I have at least one Nik Turner album, not something I liked that much, it was mostly about early Egyption gods & religion. 
  • KRSKRS Frets: 9
    Went to see Hawkwind in the eighties, it was well trippy! Many years later I was in Wales with my wife and saw a poster outside a restaurant advertising a gig that night featuring 'Nik Turner from Hawkwind'. After I explained to my wife that this was not to be missed "It's Nik Turner from Hawkwind, you know, Hawkwind!" we attended. It was a great gig, felt a bit surreal watching Nik in a tiny restaurant in Wales. Space Ritual is still one of my favourite LP's. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    stonevibe said:
    Stacia has just confirmed it, he died this morning.

RIP Nik
    Ah Stacia. The best two reasons for going to see Hawkwind. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • When I saw them in the early 70's, most of the road crew were busted & in the cells behind Plymouth Guildhall. There was one roadie doing everything, and no Stacia (which was the main reason I went)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7150
    trolley said:
    When I saw them in the early 70's, most of the road crew were busted & in the cells behind Plymouth Guildhall. There was one roadie doing everything, and no Stacia (which was the main reason I went)
    I'm mates with Stacia and she is a good lass.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    stonevibe said:

I'm mates with Stacia and she is a good lass.
    What I love is that Stacia has achieved that fairly rare mononym status.  You hear "Stacia" and it's you're wondering which one?  You know who she is.