Work band

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10699
Anyone else in one? We had an inaugural gig last night, which was nice. Always a bit of a risk performing in front of your colleagues!
Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10415
    I imagine they were quite impressed with your skills Viz  

I'm self employed but our keyboard player works for Sony and his colleges had no idea he played, let alone to such a high standard till they came to one of the gigs. Not a man to let people know he had a trumpet let alone blow it :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited November 2022
    Ooo I dunno about that! but it was (thankfully) a hoot. The rest of the band are great. Last 3 songs were SOF, SCOM and LOAP, so that was all right
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 788
    Yep!

Have been in the work bands for the last 6years.  We used to have 6 different work bands but a restructure and then covid killed that. Now we have the remaining members jamming once a week.  We recorded covers through lock down which was a big learning cover for me. 

We’ve played the company picnic a few times and staged a music mini festival back in the day. Good times.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3399
    edited November 2022
    Yep. We recently did a gig in front of the whole company. The band was made up of employees from all over the world and we played for an hour with only 4 hours of rehearsal together. It went pretty well, considering!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^ wow very good!!
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    Been involved in a few. Good fun if the others are good musicians and have the right approach. We resurrected it after a few years for the singers 50th and then carried on. Swapped a few of the personnel over the years and finally put to bed by covid and the singer moving out of the area. Lots of fun while it lasted
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7272
    Apparently my employer used to have a works band quite a long time ago.  Three of the managers were quite talented.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Here’s a clip of SCOM - only a few diehard revellers left at this point, I might point out!

https://youtu.be/-KQoLQiPf9s
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    Anyone else in one? We had an inaugural gig last night, which was nice. Always a bit of a risk performing in front of your colleagues!
    Yep. Our first gig on Wednesday. Law industry battle of the bands, and my first ever gig on bass... 

Our second gig is going to be on the roof of our work building in front of a tonne of people we know. :open_mouth: 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A fair few years ago,I was providing noise for a very large corporate Christmas gig who had their work band as their entertainment. Problem was the venue forgot to inform us of the limiter in the venue, awards went well no problems then the moment the band went on the cheers from the crowd set off the limiter!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31605
    I was asked by our store manager a few years back if I could put together a band made from in-store colleagues to enter a national Tesco's Got Talent competition, which I did.
    The singer was pretty good, the bassist was in my band anyway and the drummer was from a previous line-up and they were excellent. We also had perfectly competent rhythm guitar and sax.

We put a couple of songs together and it was tight and sounded good, so we all headed off to Birmingham for the competition.

So we turn up as a pretty solid 6-piece band while all the others were crap magicians, karaoke singers and some dancers. 

1st place went to an Irish folk dancer who did that hands by the sides thing while their legs go mad. She may well have been excellent, but because of the placement of the judges' table and the fact that she was on the dancefloor right in front of them meant that we could only see her from the waist up, so we were beaten by someone who just gently bobbed up and down with a thousand yard stare like a shitting cat. 

We were robbed I tell you. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's all in the eyes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I work in education and I've been in three staff bands. I used to play with couple of members of @EricTheWeary 's band a few years back at a school - a great experience. I was the least experienced one but they really took me under their wing.

We had a great band at my current place but everyone got hounded out of their jobs or left. The big sticking point was when some wanted to play out at non-work gigs but weren't at the required standard. Once you take the work place novelty away you've got to be good - normal punters don't care if you work together or not.

We don't have one now but I reckon there's enough talent here for a good band... I probably wouldn't get in :)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Well our gig went extremely well so at least 5/7 of us are going to keep at it. Very happy :) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Ha ha, yes! 

Going back a few years I was having a chat with one of the admin staff at work. Woman in her forties I guess. Turned out she used to be play keyboards in a pro touring reggae band. I know I’ve previously mentioned a colleague who had been a pro sound engineer for Echo and The Bunnymen and SRV European tours,etc.
    Had I attempted to put together a work’s band I would have definitely been the weak link! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.