Does anyone use Google calendar in their band to keep track of things.

What's Hot
As stated does anyone use Google Calendar amongst their band ?
  For example each band member puts in dates when they are unavailable to play
  and the dates for each gig are shared amongst them  so each member can check when gigs are
  and should a chance to book a gig off the cuff arise they can check availability of the whole band.

would this be easy to set up 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• We've just started using Band Mule: https://www.bandmule.com/

Gives you a calendar, band member availability and a song library (which enables you to build set lists, which can be saved to PDF and printed).  Also rudimentary chat, but WhatsApp is better for that.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • We've just started using Band Mule: https://www.bandmule.com/

Gives you a calendar, band member availability and a song library (which enables you to build set lists, which can be saved to PDF and printed).  Also rudimentary chat, but WhatsApp is better for that.
    That sounds real cool ,will check it out , I’m guessing there’s a cost involved though 
  • Omg band mule is free !!!  That’s great. Is it reasonably easy to set up for everybody 
      Thanks so much for this 
  • Yeah, you just need their email address.  Dead simple.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Yeah, you just need their email address.  Dead simple.
    That’s fantastic ,thank you very much 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6690
    We use teamup.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've tried to use a Google calendar, and also a TimeTree one, which I thought was quite useful....but you know....other bandmates! You can lead a horse to water....! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    We abandoned Google calendar because it proved unreliable when devices changed, or needed updating. Instead we use an Apple calendar.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • yeah.. 3 of us on Android.. a shared calendar.. using colour codes to identify people and purpose.. no issues here...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• We (I) struggled with Band Mule because life is too complicated to say, "I'm free every night except..." so all events have to be cleared with everyone, mostly on a group Signal chat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2292

Doodlepoll + Whatsapp (https://doodle.com/en/)

Helpful but not that great. The issue is that everyone has their own personal diary, their work diary and the diaries of their family members to consider. Too many variables. 
  • We use Cozi as a shared band calendar. It's free and works well for us. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10414
    Google calendar seems to work fine for us as you can make an event on your personal calendar and then just copy it to the bands google calendar so they are can see you are unavailable.
    Band Mule seemed fine but when we looked at it a few years ago it didn't support a feed to a personal calendar, which kinda made it pointless ... even though it was a great idea in principle
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    used google calender for a few years.  Occasionally someone will accidentally delete an event which is a tad annoying... 
  • Thank you all for your input appreciate it
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
    I've been using BandMule with two bands for the last couple of years.  As with all of these Apps they are only as good as the people filling in the data.  At least with BandMule it's on your phone and you've no excuse for not filling it in if something comes up that means you are not available.  We only mark Fridays and Saturdays as green or red, midweek we check because of work.

We made a rule that we don't use the '?' as that's no help whatsoever.  I take the view that if you were a ? and we were offered a gig then you'd have to make a decision there and then - so make it now.  If you think that you've got something else on then mark it red (X) and you can change it if whatever it is doesn't come off.

The only problem with BM is that availability and gigs are not on the same page so you always need to check to avoid double bookings.
  • Teamup + Whatsapp or Fleep groups.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I use Time tree instead of google calendars, easier for everyone to use that app. 
  • Another Time Tree user here, easy for everyone to update (un)availablity. our band policy is 'if you've not marked yourself as unavailable then you must be available!', still double check on whatsapp if there are midweek gigs, or gigs that require an overnight stay
  • yes we do but the system can only be as good as the f***ing useless band members are at being organised.. Not that I have a thorn in my side or anything :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom