Is the Harley Benton PA-100 attenuator ok?

gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
I have been using one of these for a few months but I recently saw some comments about them not being brilliantly constructed and that they might not be safe. Do others here use them? Any issues?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6718
    I've never had any problems apart from it pocketing a bit of high end and sparkle. Needs an EQ.  
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I use one at rehearsals. Different amps respond differently to it EQ wise. No issues so far, it seems okay. Haven't looked inside
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893

• Been using one with Marshall 20w heads for a year or so with no problems.

It’s better for knocking a few dB off the top rather than strangling a cranked plexi down to home volume as there’s no EQ compensation, as mentioned above. 
  • I use it to render the clean channel on my Orange TH30 actually usable. I love my TH30 but the clean channel is SOOO much louder than the dirty. With the attenuator I can balance things up a bit. And I can get the clean channel into nice breakup without all the furniture being thrown across the room in an ugly heap.

It's a great thing, considering what it costs. I can also use the line out for silent practice or rehearsal into the jamhub.
  • merlin said:
    I've never had any problems apart from it pocketing a bit of high end and sparkle. Needs an EQ.  
    This.

It's a great thing, considering what it costs. I can also use the line out for silent practice or rehearsal into the jamhub.
    Another good use. I run my head into a Mooer Radar and it's pretty great! You just turn the speaker out down to almost nil (I don't think the cab even needs to be attached as the attenuator doubles as a load box), then run the line out into a cab sim. A whole other world to play around in.

• Exactly…I have been using my Headrush Gigboard as an IR loader - kind of overkill! The PA100 comes with a XLR output which has a cab sim which would be great if it didn’t sound like dogshit. Shame you can’t load your own IR into it.