Mick Goodrick

What's Hot
BradBrad Frets: 659
Monster player and a giant of guitar education. 

His book The Advancing Guitarist is illuminating, intimidating, humbling and brilliant in equal measure. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RIP Mick.  That book is fantastic. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    RIP.  Some of those exercises are mind blowing (and way beyond me still)   What an amazing educator 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Don't want to pile on praise for his book, but he was an underrated guitar player, too. IMO could be mentioned in the same breath as a Jim Hall (who was a friend of his).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    carlos said:
    Don't want to pile on praise for his book, but he was an underrated guitar player, too. IMO could be mentioned in the same breath as a Jim Hall (who was a friend of his).
    Pile on in :smile:

Completely underrated guitarist indeed. Not only that but he inspired/mentored that Berklee generation of Metheny, Scofield, Stern, Frisell and a whole host since. 
  • westwest Frets: 996
    edited November 2022
    I always fancied getting micks book with tim miller but never got round to it ... theres some played examples from about the 2.00 mark in this vid .

h?v=y4KunuDuCck&t=177s

Rip ....

@west funnily enough I was watching that earlier today. Beautiful, supportive interplay between them. 

Thanks for the heads up on the book. I might have to hang on mind… still feels like I’m barely scratching the surface with The Advancing Guitarist after all these years… :smile:
    Brad said:
    @west funnily enough I was watching that earlier today. Beautiful, supportive interplay between them. 

Thanks for the heads up on the book. I might have to hang on mind… still feels like I’m barely scratching the surface with The Advancing Guitarist after all these years… :smile:

I know what you mean , theres a draw full here ,  So much info and so little time ...  ;)
    west said:
    Brad said:

I know what you mean , theres a draw full here ,  So much info and so little time ...  ;)
    Yeah man, time is the enemy… or rather my management of it! :smile:
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KRSKRS Frets: 9
    Totally agree with @Brad, Mick Goodrick was indeed a 'giant of guitar education'. I was fortunate enough to get a copy of 'The Advancing Guitarist' about twenty years ago, so I've had some time to work with his concepts. I'm on page7. Just kidding, but I'm probably about half way through and there's still plenty of material to inspire.
    The book really helped with understanding and using intervals, modes and harmonic concepts and his ideas are unique and really help to advance your playing. 
    It was years later that I discovered that he influenced Pat Methany and John Scofield, two of my favourite guitar players.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    Mick Goodrick's the Advancing Guitarist and the GoodChord books opened my mind and ears to the endless possibilities of the guitar. RIP.

Here is Mick Goodrick playing Falling Grace with Tim Miller.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."