Cracking the Code: Troy Grady's documentary on speed picking – a technique must-see!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Good work @DLM though I'd need a week off to read that lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

@thomasross20

Yeah, it took me lots of train journeys to finish.

I'm chewing through another one in a similar fashion: http://strumzilla.com/top/2015/9/26/interview-with-troy-grady

• Definitely reading for the train! :)
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    I've been doing a whole load more analysis. My picking still feels bumpy - the hand pulls away from the guitar body a bit too much at times. But in his new vids he shows that's good for doing arpeggios over strings without sweeping (which I do - crosspicking I think he calls it). My index finger pushes into the plectrum in an unnatural way and I always seem to have the kink in the thumb which indicates upward pick slanting - but I do a bit of both, it's weird. Sometimes I use a bit of forearm but that always feels a bit more tense. That usually stems from picking wrist side-to-side. I usually have a bit of arch so the wrist rotates a tad a la Yngwie, but I'm not predominantly a downward pick-slanter - my down picks actually feel weak compared to my up-picks so I've been trying to remedy that. 

That might all sounds a mess but I'm getting there - at least I'm spending time analysing it. Like on my own blog, I try to eliminate the tension and if doing fast rock passages, you need the pick to go through the string and back as easily as possible, like a golfer with his swing - it's all about the smooth follow through (lol). I've been trying to focus on strengthening the downstrokes, it's tricky though - do you focus on the main muscle (the wrist) pushing through or the connection with the string (the thumb). It has to be both - the thumb for feel and accuracy and the wrist for the main muscle follow-through. The best way to do it I've found is to close your eyes, try different things and FEEL which techniques provide least resistance. 

There have been some amazing players on Troy's videos. Some "new" fusion guy seems to do both pick slants plus cross-picking and the lot. 
    Re legato my ring finger and pinky arch a bit too much - the very tip of the finger rests on the string and there's a tension. I'm plyaing with a tad more of the pad and it feels a lot better. More controlled. More work needed to get over these bad habits!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    edited March 2016
    Back in the hazy days of Zenta SG's and homemade Strats, I discovered Al DiMeola, there is still nothing to beat sitting down and wearing the vinyl out, getting his picking technique down . I nailed his approach to 2 things, floating forearm and an incredibly tight picking action with as little wasted movement as possible . It wasn't so much of a pattern, just the physicality of a clean pick technique and economy of motion.
    @sweepy - videos please (of you, ooh er)! :)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30922
    I checked. No speed picking in the Comf Numb solo so no need to watch this.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

After more analysis I can safely say I do the "cross-picking" like Albert Lee, in either direction. So I can go down a string whilst in downward pick slant mode and not hit wrong strings, I do this by lifting the hand up a little. I'd never have noticed that if it weren't for the Troy videos. 
    I don't do the rock thing so much - using the thumb to push through this string. I've started to get better at this now but only after 15 years, lots of practice and watching these videos. Remains to be seen what I'll do when having to change pick-slant... will I change slant or keep the same slant and do the cross-picking thing to get where I want.