SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sorted - Gibson Lg-2, L-00, Martin 00-18v, others?

What's Hot
GandalphGandalph Frets: 1592
edited November 2022 in Acoustics £
Unexpected guitar sale has freed up some funds. Fancy trying something different....modern or vintage.

Gibson Lg-2, L-00, Martin 00-18v, Maton EGB 808...
Maybe Collings/Santa Cruz/Huss & Dalton/Brook, Lowden...etc

OOO size maximum. 

Anything out there?
Thanks. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TDubsTDubs Frets: 710
    Glenn’s Guitars has a ‘47 LG-2 up for sale and very reasonably priced

https://www.glennsguitars.com/1947-gibson-lg2-2999/

He also has a 30’s L-0 and a reissue L-00 in ebony.
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1592
    TDubs said:
    Glenn’s Guitars has a ‘47 LG-2 up for sale and very reasonably priced

https://www.glennsguitars.com/1947-gibson-lg2-2999/

He also has a 30’s L-0 and a reissue L-00 in ebony.
    Thanks. Yeh that '47 LG-2...that's a very long repaired top crack though. If it wasn't for that I'd have had it but then again suspect it would be a lot more expensive.  
    My 2 remaining guitars are mahogany and I've only read negative things about those '36 reissue L-00's. 
    There are a couple of other 40s LG-2s knocking around (gumtree and phils vintage) I don’t think they have cracks (can’t remember for sure) but they are both over £5k. I have a ‘49 LG-2 with a cleated crack and it’s still such a great guitar. 
    TDubs said:
    There are a couple of other 40s LG-2s knocking around (gumtree and phils vintage) I don’t think they have cracks (can’t remember for sure) but they are both over £5k. I have a ‘49 LG-2 with a cleated crack and it’s still such a great guitar. 
    They do have repaired cracks, both banner though and as you say 5k+. Too much for me. Phils vintage sounds like it needs a neck reset too.
    Is it a large crack on your '49?
     Hadn't they gone to slimmer necks and 1 11/16 nut width by then...I thought it was around 47/48 so Glenn's might be one of the last 47's with a beefier neck. 
    Not sure on the nut width on mine (am away until next week but can measure on my return if needed) but mine is definitely a chunky neck. Really thought I’d struggle with it when I first got it but I really like it now. 

The crack on mine isn’t massive but most of them have cracks and as long as they are repaired ok then should be fine.

I had an LG-1 for a bit and played plenty of the reissue LG-2s and L-00s and they didn’t come close to the original LG-2. Glenn’s one is at reissue money!

FYI I found the Atkin LG-47 was more like the original LG-2 compared to the Gibson reissues. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2022
    @TDubs thank you that's really informative.

Been eyeing up a used lg-2 1950's reissue at a reasonable price. Also a Bluesking with Bubinga back and sides and the yellow gig bag (remember them). I appreciate they'll both be totally different to a real original lg-2. 

Maybe I need to reconsider what Glenn has. Cracks haven't bothered me before it's just that one is longer than I'm used to, looks like it's almost the entire length of the body and it goes really close to the bridge. 
    Plenty to ponder on....
    I'm just not a fan of Atkin, realise that's puts me in the minority.
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    I have an absolutely immaculate Gibson L-00 Keb Mo model that I’d let go 2k (300 less than Glenn has one up for) I’m in Yorkshire, so a meet up should be easy if you’re interested in taking a look. 
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    Just noticed, you mentioned Brook as well. I have a lovely Torridge model that you could take a look at alongside the Keb Mo.
    tomjax said:
    Just noticed, you mentioned Brook as well. I have a lovely Torridge model that you could take a look at alongside the Keb Mo.
    Sent you a message. 
  • MSedgMSedg Frets: 120
    I’ve played the “long crack” LG2. Pretty certain it’s the one which was previously at ATB and stayed there a good long while, before it had a scratchplate. 

I went looking, didn’t buy, take from that what you will.
    MSedg said:
    I’ve played the “long crack” LG2. Pretty certain it’s the one which was previously at ATB and stayed there a good long while, before it had a scratchplate. 

I went looking, didn’t buy, take from that what you will.
    Interesting. Was this the basket case one? It had the incorrect logo reapplied to the headstock. 
    edited November 2022
    @MSedg, @TDubs.
    I'm sure it's the same guitar. Exact
    same crack, same strap button fitted to the heel too.
    I think Glenn has had it a while so a few have played and passed on it. Dodged a bullet on that one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom