Alternatives to Frank Gambale's Peace & Harmony course?

What's Hot
On a whim, and in a bid to create some structure in hap-hazard attempts at learning theory, I signed up to this:

https://www.frankgambaleguitarschool.com/course?courseid=peace-harmony-theory-of-creativity

Having chosen to pay over a year, I received only a couple of modules - and I am distinctly unimpressed for nearly £40 and will be cancelling my subscription.

Is there a good online course with resources, etc. for learning theory - but particularly with practical examples of how to apply it?  I know my modes and how to construct chords from the major scale - but little else.  I'd just like to understand better what I can do where on the fretboard, theory-wise.
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    edited November 2022
    IV found the best way is to establish what you need to know or how you would like to play and apply theory to do that ....maybe even teacher that you can ask questions 

Sometimes you can end up with a head full of theory but not be able to apply it through lack of experimentation 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    A new fridge
    tae be or not tae be
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 445
    Go buy two books: 
    Mark Levine's 'The Jazz Theory Book' and
    The Berklee book of Jazz Harmony

Don't bother with courses just get those and read them, thoroughly, probably multiple times over years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You could watch all of this:

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • @wizbit81 The jazz theory book was not for me. Total grind. 

@PolarityMan Doesn’t work?

My band, Red For Dissent
    Oh man really? It's a really well presented and fairly easy read compared to many! I failed on stuff like Audacious Euphony, Shoenberg's book and the classic Persichetti one, 20th Century Harmony. Those are mega dense and assume you play keys to a decent standard. We need video and audio files for them...now there's a project!

Rick Beato book maybe?
  • wizbit81 said:
    Oh man really? It's a really well presented and fairly easy read compared to many! I failed on stuff like Audacious Euphony, Shoenberg's book and the classic Persichetti one, 20th Century Harmony. Those are mega dense and assume you play keys to a decent standard. We need video and audio files for them...now there's a project!
    It's tough because I don't care to learn much more, just enough to escape my diatonic boxes.

My band, Red For Dissent
    Hmmm, maybe Tom Quayle's stuff might be more up your street. He uses intervals not boxes and it frees you up to decide which ones you want to use rather than being stuck in a shape. It's a lot of work to build from scratch but really effective.
  • Thanks, @wizbit81 ;

My band, Red For Dissent
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    I noticed the other day that Alex Hutchings is now doing online lessons - he was heavily influenced by Frank Gambale, and seems to be one of the nicest blokes in this new fangled internet thingy.  I'm tempted to book a lesson or 2.

https://www.alexhutchingsonline.com/
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/