Are 000 Guitars Shorter Scale

What's Hot
I saw this online and hadn't heard it before. I believe I once had a Takamine 000 and it did seem quite comfortable but didnt know why.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5538
    Often, yes. And often no. 

Martin 000s are short scale, while the exact same body with a full-length scale is termed an OM. But that's just one company. Every other company does its own thing. They may or may not use the terms "000" and "OM", they may build all their models of this size full-scale, all of them short-scale, or any mix they please. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tannin said:

Martin 000s are short scale, while the exact same body with a full-length scale is termed an OM. But that's just one company. Every other company does its own thing. They may or may not use the terms "000" and "OM", they may build all their models of this size full-scale, all of them short-scale, or any mix they please. 

Ok,thanks. At least I am in the right ballpark of sizes then!
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6193
    In the nerdy spreadsheet I did (trying to educate myself on all of these weird size naming conventions), I saw that 000 and 00 guitars seemed to have 24 7/8 scale length. Same as Taylor GC.
  • GTCGTC Frets: 266
    They can be but it isn't necessarily so. The term 000 refers to the body size rather than the scale length. An 000 guitar can also have either 12 or 14 frets from nut to body.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2366
    Tannin said:

I might be misremembering here, but isn't there even one of the Martin models where those codenames break down? 
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    I think Martin 12 fret models are full length scale but still 000 rather than OM. It’s all joyfully chaotic. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Doctor? 

• camf said:
    I think Martin 12 fret models are full length scale but still 000 rather than OM. It’s all joyfully chaotic. 
    So OM and 000 are more or less the same? Possible differences?
    In the Martin world, 000 and OM *are* the same, except for scale length. I hadn't heard that 12-fretters break this rule, but this is Martin, so who knows?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72634
    Are 000 Guitars Shorter Scale
    No.

Or not unless you think of 24-3/4" as "short scale"... which it isn't, it's just the shorter of the two most common scale lengths, but is used as the 'standard' by many makers, eg Gibson. 'Short scale' really means 24" or shorter.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RicjoRicjo Frets: 20
    edited November 2022
    Dave_Mc said:
    Tannin said:

I might be misremembering here, but isn't there even one of the Martin models where those codenames break down? 
    Yes, the Martin 000-15: it’s long scale and 1.11/16” nut width. Bizarrely. No one knows why either. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2366
    Ricjo said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    Tannin said:

Yes, the Martin 00015: it’s long scale AND 1 11/16” nut width. Bizarrely. No one knows why either. 
    Thanks! :)
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5635
    Ricjo said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    Tannin said:

Yes, the Martin 000-15: it’s long scale and 1.11/16” nut width. Bizarrely. No one knows why either. 
    Wasn't the 000-16GT the same?
  • RicjoRicjo Frets: 20
    Brize said:
    Ricjo said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    Tannin said:

Wasn't the 000-16GT the same?
    It could have been the case in the past, but am pretty certain the 15 is the only current anomaly in the Martin 000s.
  • Tannin said:
    In the Martin world, 000 and OM *are* the same, except for scale length. I hadn't heard that 12-fretters break this rule, but this is Martin, so who knows?
    This is incorrect, OM's have a 14 fret neck and 000's have a 12 fret neck and generally a slotted headstock. The scale length on 000's can be either long or short.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72634
    edited November 2022
    malcolmkindness said:

This is incorrect, OM's have a 14 fret neck and 000's have a 12 fret neck and generally a slotted headstock. The scale length on 000's can be either long or short.
    No, standard 000s usually have a 14-fret neck and a solid headstock too. Only very early ones and special editions have a 12-fret.

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/standard-series/000-28.html

Tannin is correct, they are more or less the same apart from scale length, often neck width and bridge string spacing, and in some cases bracing position.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• As I'm not going to be anywhere near a Martin,nor Taylor unfortunately,I was hoping for some kind of industry standard. It seems there isn't really.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2221
    As I understand it the only difference between OM and a 000 is scale length. So you can whack a capo on an OM and it's effectively a 000
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3752
    Tannin said:
    Don’t think that’s right. My 000-15M was a 14 fretter with a solid headstock, the 000-15SM is 12/fret and slotted
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13570
    As I'm not going to be anywhere near a Martin,nor Taylor unfortunately,I was hoping for some kind of industry standard. It seems there isn't really.
    there really isnt one,  potatoes pottaaatos and all that  -   the thing you need to do is take note of the specs (scale/fret join, body sizes) and compare that to something you actually know.
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.