Are 000 Guitars Shorter Scale

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3707
    bertie said:
    As I'm not going to be anywhere near a Martin,nor Taylor unfortunately,I was hoping for some kind of industry standard. It seems there isn't really.
    there really isnt one,  potatoes pottaaatos and all that  -   the thing you need to do is take note of the specs (scale/fret join, body sizes) and compare that to something you actually know.
    That’s the great thing about standards, there’s so many to choose from. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • drofluf said:
    Tannin said:
    In the Martin world, 000 and OM *are* the same, except for scale length. I hadn't heard that 12-fretters break this rule, but this is Martin, so who knows?
    This is incorrect, OM's have a 14 fret neck and 000's have a 12 fret neck and generally a slotted headstock. The scale length on 000's can be either long or short.
    Don’t think that’s right. My 000-15M was a 14 fretter with a solid headstock, the 000-15SM is 12/fret and slotted
    I was referring back to Martins long established standards from the 30's when the OM model was developed with a 14 fret neck. Prior to that, all guitars had a 12 fret neck joint, of course nowadays there are so many models that anything goes.

It's the same with scale lengths, 00's are generally regarded as having a short scale but I have a 00 with a 26 1/2" scale, it sounds great but it's very unusual.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    What’d be nice is a wider set of options for cutaway 12-fret 000/00s.  They all seem to be either classical or very expensive Taylor models.
  • Martin 14 fret 000 are short scale and otherwise similar to OM. 12 fret 000 are long scale, slotted headstock and a wider 1/13/16 neck often with modified V. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited December 2022
    Cranky said:
    What’d be nice is a wider set of options for cutaway 12-fret 000/00s.  They all seem to be either classical or very expensive Taylor models.
    the problem with cutaway on a small body,  it can really affect the tone  as youre removing a larger %age of the sound box
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.