That's how to do a preamp demo! Bass Channel on 26 different preamps

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24294
Clips of each in about a dozen different songs.

The good old BDDI does very well as expected, but the real surprise for me is the Orange Bass Butler. That sounds great in all the clips.

It's a bit expensive and it's 18V, but it might go on the birthday list.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Good lord! And no Noble! 

I agree the Orange sounds excellent, but there was some variation in the sounds possibly just because the volume and EQ weren't set as close to matching (audibly!) as they perhaps could've been?

I would also suggest it's not a perfect test as (I assume) the players are all playing with a specific sound in the room and that was being reamped in post through each preamp, so they're not adapting their playing to the sound & feel. Obv that would be a nightmare to do in real life, but I can't help but complain! :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24294
    Good lord! And no Noble! 

I agree the Orange sounds excellent, but there was some variation in the sounds possibly just because the volume and EQ weren't set as close to matching (audibly!) as they perhaps could've been?

I would also suggest it's not a perfect test as (I assume) the players are all playing with a specific sound in the room and that was being reamped in post through each preamp, so they're not adapting their playing to the sound & feel. Obv that would be a nightmare to do in real life, but I can't help but complain! :D 
    You are completely correct but it's still the best demo I've seen.

And to be honest the reamp thing is a common issue. Loads of people record a dry signal now and then make endless changes for far too long afterwards.

(I'm ignoring the timing issues that some of the bassists had. My teeth are still itching from some of that!).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • +1 to all that. I can accept the reamping thing for these purposes. But I hate it in real life - I have to get parts right with the right sounds. If I need to change something I can't do in post I'm happy to play it again 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Me too. I play very differently with different sounds.

And don't get me started on lazy people who think cutting and pasting is the same as double tracking!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I also like the bass butler best, but to be honest, they all sound so similar in real terms that I'd probably just get the cheapest. I don't think that any listener could tell the difference either live or on a recording!
    axisus said:
    I also like the bass butler best, but to be honest, they all sound so similar in real terms that I'd probably just get the cheapest. I don't think that any listener could tell the difference either live or on a recording!
    Audiences can't tell the difference between a Fender Hotrod and a Dual Rec either. They know if it's a sound they like or they don't.

So I'm going to have to flag your post for crimes against GAS.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Seriously though - I think the differences would be more apparent with a proper mix rather than a loud bass demo mix.

The Trace would disappear, the slight drive on the B7KU would help it cut more etc etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6068
    axisus said:
    Yes, the differences were minute and in a few cases would have been evened out by simply adjusting the EQ or raising the volume slightly (Trace Elliot esp). Seems a pointless exercise though I'd agree the Orange unit sounded the best.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FWIW I reckon the B7KU was right up there for every single option. I still love my Bassrig for the lighter stuff and don't need anything else, so I'm very happy, but I'd gladly look at one of those to augment if I needed 
    JezWynd said:
    axisus said:
    Yes, the differences were minute and in a few cases would have been evened out by simply adjusting the EQ or raising the volume slightly (Trace Elliot esp). Seems a pointless exercise though I'd agree the Orange unit sounded the best.

Just like every comparison of Tubescreamers ever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've recently acquired an MXR M81. Its fantastic. 

Its completely clean, which might annoy some, but IMO thats what dirt pedals are for. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    Wot? Not one Tech21 Geddy Lee model? 

I fart in your general direction.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I thought they all sounded shit but that is probably just the you tube video rather than the actual units :s