Tanglewood.

What's Hot
I have owned a TW45 N DLX for 15/16 years now gold hardware all solid wood,I use Ernie Ball earth wood rock and blues strings on it.
The guitar has just got better and better over the years ,it is a wonderful folk style guitar,and that is what I wanted when I bought it.
I paid£500 .at the time,all those years ago. It rings out really well and is very loud for the body size.
Any views from the Faber's would be nice.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5463
    Um. What is a "Faber"?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 747
    edited November 2022
    Just having a mooch about this thread. 

Would anyone care to explain why this man hangs his guitar on the outside of his garden shed??? Take a look at the later pics. I'm struggling to find an explanation personally. You'd have to be with it all the time unless it rained.

Tanglewood TW45N - NS - Electro Acoustic Guitar | Reverb UK

Does look like nice guitar @bluecat ;;
    Guessing a Faber is someone on Fretboard @Tannin ? As in FB?
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 580
    Miss print,should have been FB ER's. Sorry
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5463
    Ahh. Thankyou @bluecat.
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1588
    Yes, I used to have a TW73 vse parlour. Cracking little all solid cedar/mahogany guitar, especially for the money. 
    I believe they do the wide neck version in that model and if I ever find a decent used one I'll buy it :)  
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    @bluecat ; nice guitar.

Never tried a Tanglewood. Glad to learn you're pleased with it. 

:) 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited November 2022
    Gandalph said:
    Yes, I used to have a TW73 vse parlour. Cracking little all solid cedar/mahogany guitar, especially for the money. 
    I believe they do the wide neck version in that model and if I ever find a decent used one I'll buy it  
    I still have one, without the E  -   paid £273 for it  "new" bankrupt stock.  - its my "leave it out , go to" guitar and punches way way above its diminutive size  - ive had "lesser" made OMs sound more boxy (Crafter for instance)  even a Taylor 612 sounded more boxy !!

The neck feels a little narrower than my others, but putting the calipers on - its 43mm same as my Furch, Strat.......etc etc 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • bertie said:
    Gandalph said:
    I believe they do the wide neck version in that model and if I ever find a decent used one I'll buy it  
    I still have one, without the E  -   paid £273 for it  "new" bankrupt stock.  - its my "leave it out , go to" guitar and punches way way above its diminutive size  - ive had "lesser" made OMs sound more boxy (Crafter for instance)  even a Taylor 612 sounded more boxy !!

The neck feels a little narrower than my others, but putting the calipers on - its 43mm same as my Furch, Strat.......etc etc 
    Do you think its because of the neck shape,maybe? I have a Squier with Fender's 'C' cut neck and although I am quite comfortable with it I prefer my Sigma's wider but slightly flatter cut.
    BTW,are Sigma's necks still similar to Martins'? Given how they are obviously separate entities now their designs seem very similar to my eye having never picked up a Martin.
    By the way that is not my guitar hanging on the shed,I don't allow my guitar in the garden unaccompanied.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    DavidR said:
    Just having a mooch about this thread. 

Would anyone care to explain why this man hangs his guitar on the outside of his garden shed??? Take a look at the later pics. I'm struggling to find an explanation personally. You'd have to be with it all the time unless it rained.

Tanglewood TW45N - NS - Electro Acoustic Guitar | Reverb UK

Does look like nice guitar @bluecat ;;
    Guessing a Faber is someone on Fretboard @Tannin ? As in FB?
    I suspect he sells guitars.....................   the guy I got my LP off, does a similar thing as it makes a great back drop and the light is good for photos 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 158
    I have a Tanglewood TW1000 Heritage - bought it around 2008 / 2009.

A luthier did a very good job in setting it up for me. I use medium light gauge strings.

I too am very happy with mine.
    'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    edited November 2022
    I've owned my TW8 since 1999 and it plays nicely. Cost £120 as a birthday present for my 14th birthday.

Had a new nut put on it last year and a fret stain job to make it look like an ebony fretboard again. It's got the Elixir 11-52's on it.
  • I've had a TW133ASM (solid mahogany parlour) for 10 years or more and it's a really good guitar IMO. I paid less than £200 for it new as "storage damaged", but I never found a mark on it so no idea why it wasn't sold at full price (I think they were about £250 then, seem to be approaching £400 now). I think the nut and bridge are probably plastic, but it sounds fine to me and I haven't bothered changing them. Real bargain I reckon.

I've noticed quite a few pro muso friends using Tanglewood instruments as well - nothing posh but they do the job.
    Bertie are you suggesting that I sell guitars???or some one else??? Maybe I have misread you my friend,if not my apologies. I only ever sold one guitar,that was a Tanglewood 12 string,I didn't like it very much,it was a very clean machine ,I got £25  for it,I knew it was worth more but the Mrs B said I had too many guitars. She has since bought me a Tele.
    Maybe she did not like it very much either. Other guitars I no longer have I have given away to friends.
  • Nice when you've had a guitar a couple of decades and it's opened up. A magical thing.
    Thomas cross,it was very good when I bought it ,it is SUPERB now. Can it get any better???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sorry,thomasross20 got your name wrong. Must be my age.
  • Haha that's ok, I had a chuckle :)
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7278
    edited November 2022
    bluecat said:
    Bertie are you suggesting that I sell guitars???or some one else???
    @bertie was referring to the guitar being sold on Reverb that is pictured hanging on a hook on the outside of a shed, and was responding to the post by @DavidR (with the link to the Reverb sale advert) that expressed astonishment over why somebody would hang their guitar on the outside of a shed in the garden like that.  bertie was merely surmising that the person with the advert was in the habit or business of selling guitars and that the hook was only there to temporarily hang the guitars and take photos for the sale adverts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It's OK BillDL,I fully understand.