NAGD: Huss & Dalton OM

What's Hot
Hi all,

After waxing lyrical about Bourgeois acoustics in another thread, I really had my eye set on one when I returned to the UK. First I thought to enquire and see what secondhand delights Fretboarders might have in store.
I met up with @GRBaldwin last weekend who was kind enough to allow me to try 4 of his high class OMs - 2 Santa Cruz, a Bourgeois and this Huss & Dalton. I put all 4 through their paces in a literal blind test (i.e. I'm blind and I asked him not to tell me which one was which) to avoid bias.
This H&D came out on top. It was a toss up between that and a Santa Cruz Prewar OM.
I may sound like a cork sniffer here but the spruce and sinker Mahogony combination really was something extra over the spruce/rosewood of the prewar. All 4 were fantastic instruments but the H&D sold me. I'm hoping that it is going to be a lifer. The bourgeois was a hog top and was the first to be rejected, strangely enough! I think the all mahogony thing just doesn't do it for me, which is why I was surprised to learn that the H&D had hog back and sides. Really remarkable what happens when your biases are taken out of the equasion.
Anyway, Huss & Dalton need to be better known in the UK, because this thing is a beast!

I'm also hoping these pics work...and are the correct pics! Someone please tell me if one of these photos is of another instrument please lol!

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Happy NAGD :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Happy NAGD. That’s lovely.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    I played a few when Chandlers stocked them- sensational things.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Photos good, and it looks incredible !
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 236
    Looks a nice instrument. Congrats!
  • That's super nice and the pins match the saddle slant yay!
  • Hog back & sides with spruce top is a fave of mine. Haven't tried Adirondack top, right enough. Clips online of sinker mahogany do sound fantastic. Sound clips? :)
  • Hi Matt or @bermudianbrit ;

Really nice to meet you and glad you got chance to try out some amazing OM's and picked your favourite. I'm kinda missing the H&D a little I've gotta say, but all the others are amazing too. There are certainly no slouches, just different flavours, so I'm sure I'll get by :)

I hope it brings you many years of playing joy!

All the best,

Graeme
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Wow that looks absolutely awesome! I like the case, too  =)
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5464
    Nice one @bermudianbrit! Huss and Dalton make a lovely guitar. They are uncommon because H&D is, quite deliberately, a small operation focussed on quality above quantity. For example, until he retired in 2020, Mr Huss hand-carved every Huss and Dalton neck himself. 

I had the privilege of playing a lovely Huss and Dalton jumbo in spruce and maple two or three years ago. It was one of about four guitars I particularly had my eye on at the time (the others being a high-end Maton and two 000-sized Martins). Eventually, after much thought and many trials, I crossed off the other three and very, very nearly bought the H&D. In fact I actually made my mind up to buy it before having second thoughts and eventually letting it slide. I still remember it fondly and - who can say? - might just buy another one one day. 

One of the great makes. You will get endless pleasure from it, I'm sure.
  • Sitka and mahogany is a great combination and Graeme is a nice bloke with some lovely guitars, you did well, enjoy it.
  • Thanks for the kind words @malcolmkindness, ; you're not too bad yourself, haha. Hope you're doing well!