Takamine G series questions

What's Hot
NGD – I’ve just acquired a 7-year-old Chinese-built Takamine GD130ce – solid spruce top, laminated mahogany back and sides, one previous owner. It needs a modicum of tlc. My questions:
• What size spanner/wrench/Allen key is needed for truss rod adjustment? A previous post on the Acoustic Guitar Forum suggests 5 or 6 mm. Takamine’s website says ‘click here for instructions on adjusting Takamine’s two-way truss rod’ – but there’s no link.
• Should it have a serial number? If so, where is it? Takamine’s website doesn’t say anything about serial numbers for the G series. In fact, Its Support and Download Center appears to ignore the G series completely.
• Is there any documentation for the TP-4TD preamp?
• How can I get any of this information from Takamine?
• Or is there an independent Takamine users forum? Apparently there was once (Takamineforum.com), but it’s gone offline.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I had one,about 000 sized,but mine was extremely difficult to find anything about. It had something like supplied by Kamen music USA on it. I think might have been Korean made?
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    The standard size is 5mm.

However, somers seem to be 3/16".

:)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18821
    edited November 2022
    I have an EGS-330SC that I have had for over 15 years & it was second hand then, so no idea of the actual age.
    It is marked on the bottom of the interior label in tiny writing as "Made in Taiwan'.
    My allen keys have vanished into an alternative dimension, so can't help you there, but the serial is on a top brace inside the soundhole toward the neck (see photo).
    And yes, wiping the strings with a fluffy cloth is not a good idea 

Edit: definitely a 5mm allen :+1: 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7278
    Are you absolutely sure it is GD130CE and not GD30CE?  The reason I ask is that it's unusual not to be getting ANY search returns in Google for 2nd-hand GD130.

Owner's guide for the TP-4TD preamp (linked to from the Takamine website):
    https://busites-www.s3.amazonaws.com/takamine/content/support/TP-4T_TP-4TD_ver2Manual.pdf

It would seem that the G series either weren't stamped with a serial number or that the serial numbers applied are not reliable for dating them:

I don't know how old this PDF scan of a Kaman / Takamine document is, but it refers to single-way truss rods having a brass nut and the two-way ones having a silver nut, buth adjustable with a 5mm Allen key:
    At the bottom right is says 6/98, so it could be an old 1998 release that refers only to Japanese made guitars.  I'm pretty sure your truss rod nut will take either a 4 or 5mm Allen key.  There seems to be some chatter on other forums about the factory allegedly receiving truss rods with 3/16" adjusters (4.78mm) that allegedly ended up in a production run.  I suspect that's probably just another horseshit internet myth with no official source of proof instigated by someone that rounded out their hex pocket with the wrong sized Allen wrench, but it is possible I suppose.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m sure when I had my tak late 90s early 2k’s korg was the distributor . I don’t know if they still are but they were helpful when I rang them for stuff.

well done Bill , he has come up with a mine of info above 
  • Thanks all for your comments and help. Yes, of course it's a GD30, not 130! Sorry!