Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7267
    edited November 2022
    That's really sad.  The poor fellow went through hell but put such a brave face on things as his condition worsened.  My Mother is also really saddened about this, because she has watched TV programmes about him and she saw him (and his family) as quite inspirational.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Only 52! Tragic. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14282
    tFB Trader
    So sad - I've been following the Rob Burrow story for a few years now and Rob and Doddle formed a strong bond shortly after they were both diagnosed with MND - Both have helped to raise the awareness surrounding MND and raised money in the process - They have helped each other so much - Rob always joked about Doddie's trousers

Doddle was at the recent Scotland NZ match before kick off and quite rightly received a standing ovation from the crowd and a guard of honour

Well now there is a crazy mad giraffe heading towards heaven - RIP big man
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22925
    Very sad news.  I'm not a rugby fan at all, but I've watched several programmes about his life since the MND diagnosis and he was a remarkable, larger-than-life character in every sense.
  • My mum died of MND nearly 40 years ago.  It's a shitty illness.  

Doddie and Rob have both done a huge amount to raise awareness and funds to find future treatments, and for that reason, I will raise a glass for him tonight.

• The Beeb will probably re-run the docu they did about him a couple of years ago ... or maybe do another. Jill Douglas is CEO of Doddie'5 My Name trust and she's a Beeb sports journo so perfect for the job I'd reckon.

I'll take a dram for him tonight ... great guy and great advert for selflessness again ... I bet Rob and Capt Kev will be feeling it today :cry: 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    "........................................................"

no words good enough 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    Lifted from BBC website, but says it all for me.

He once said that no bleep test - or any such device to monitor the fitness of the first wave of professional players - could judge a guy's personality when the chips were down on the pitch and when his mates needed him to go the extra mile. There was no machine to measure character. He was one of the great ones.

RIP Doddie 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11305
    That BBC article also quotes Bill McClaren's descriptions of him as a "mad giraffe".

A life too short but a life that will change others for the better. That's some legacy. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14282
    tFB Trader
    stufisher said:
    The Beeb will probably re-run the docu they did about him a couple of years ago ... or maybe do another. Jill Douglas is CEO of Doddie'5 My Name trust and she's a Beeb sports journo so perfect for the job I'd reckon.

I'll take a dram for him tonight ... great guy and great advert for selflessness again ... I bet Rob and Capt Kev will be feeling it today :cry: 
    I was thinking today that someone has got to tell Rob - They became close and helped each other and how to cope and be positive - I bet the poor lad feels gutted