Your signature model, specs here please

What's Hot
TanninTannin Frets: 5467
Good news! 

The famous guitar maker _________________ has contacted you to ask if they can make a signature guitar model with your name on it. Naturally, they'll provide you with some cash and three or four guitars. First though, they need to to spec it out. This is your signature guitar ______________________ so be sure to spell out the details exactly as you like them - dimensions, woods, neck carve, pickguard, electronics, headstock style. 

Oh, and be sure to say which maker - Gibson, Lowden, Yamaha, Furch, the chap with the little shop around the corner who hand-builds half a dozen in a year, all up to you.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5467
    edited November 2022
    Mine will be a Maton, of course. (I have lots of favourite guitar makers, but Maton picks itself as my number one.) So let's spec out the Tannin Signature Maton. Hmmmm ....

* Trad body (i.e., an 000/OM size but deep like a dreadnought, or the same as an 808 but one size up)
    * No cutaway
    * No electronics.
    * No pickguard
    * Bunya Pine top
    * Queensland Maple back and sides
    * Blackwood neck, 14 frets to the body, 46mm nut, standard medium-C carve.
    * No markers on the fretboard (just plain timber), oversize high-vis side dots
    * Mulga bridge, fretboard, and headstock veneer.
    * Flat headstock with the Maton keyhole. 
    * Gotoh 510 tuners (nothing wrong with the standard Grovers but I like 510s best of all)
    * High-gloss top, satin nitro for everything else. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • malcolmkindnessmalcolmkindness Frets: 164
    edited November 2022
    I already have my signature guitar, it was made for me by Jakob Poljiakov in Berlin.

It is between a 000 and a 00 in size, EIR back and sides, with a European spruce top which is French polished.

The neck is full and rounded with a 48mm nut, and the string spacing is 40mm at the nut and 60mm at the saddle.

It has 14 frets to the body and this is the only thing I might change if I was doing it again.

If I was younger, I might commission Goodall or Santa Cruz to build me a 12 fret guitar to these specs.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 236
    In all honesty, I wouldn't know where to start.
    I'd have to try out different body styles / wood combinations /  neck profiles first, to see what seemed right for me.
    However I like the look of nice woods - @Tannin's Cole Clark in an earlier thread looked like a good starting point. That kind of guitar appeals to me, but I wouldn't mind a Baggs system & a cutaway added.
     :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • My Bourgeois ‘hog D would be a great basis. I’d probably tweak the nut width down just the tiniest smidge, and I’m not sure I’d use Waverley tuners. But otherwise it’s dead on
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    edited November 2022
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/69464/om-acoustic-build-mark-bailey-course

This is mine. The photos of the finished guitar are on Page 9.

I made this guitar myself under the guidance of Mark Bailey some years ago, as per this Thread on building the guitar. It's an OM with a slightly enlarged lower bout -16 inches rather than normal OM which is just over 15 inches.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    God that’s tough !  I’m stuck between gentle finger picking / solos (with bright overtones), finger picked accompaniment to singing (so more muted overtones), to strumming.

can I have an adjustable body size, adjustable bracing, and the ability to select between maple and rosewood back and sides as required;  oh, and it doesn’t look like mahogany ?

i think that means a Fender Acoustasonic !
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    edited November 2022
    Soupman said:
    In all honesty, I wouldn't know where to start.
    I'd have to try out different body styles / wood combinations /  neck profiles first, to see what seemed right for me.
    That's what I'd be like- the most fun thing about this would be that I'd have an excuse to try a whole bunch of different body shapes and wood combinations to actually find out what I like!

Out of what I've tried so far- grand auditorium is a pretty decent middle ground shape, and probably with a cutaway. (Granted- I also like round-shouldered dreadnoughts, and I'd also like to try a bunch of smaller bodies to see if I can find one which sounds the way I like!)

Not really sure about woods- I like a whole bunch of different ones! Maybe I'd be really lucky and be allowed several signature models... 
  • https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/69464/om-acoustic-build-mark-bailey-course

I made this guitar myself under the guidance of Mark Bailey some years ago, as per this Thread on building the guitar. It's an OM with a slightly enlarged lower bout -16 inches rather than normal OM which is just over 15 inches.
    Bloody hell Dave! Which page is the finished product on?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 236
    @Dave_Mc said: That's what I'd be like- the most fun thing about this would be that I'd have an excuse to try a whole bunch of different body shapes and wood combinations to actually find out what I like!

:) Yes, but being me, I'd end up with two I couldn't decide between and end up stressed out trying to decide.
    Then when I got the thing home, agonise over did I buy the right one!
     =)

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Soupman said:
    @Dave_Mc said: That's what I'd be like- the most fun thing about this would be that I'd have an excuse to try a whole bunch of different body shapes and wood combinations to actually find out what I like!

:) Yes, but being me, I'd end up with two I couldn't decide between and end up stressed out trying to decide.
    Then when I got the thing home, agonise over did I buy the right one!
     =)

Yeah I'd be the same, that's why I said I hoped I'd be allowed a few models!
  • Quilted guitar with a patch of every bit of wood known to man. 
    Lol
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 158
    My only requirements would be:
    1. Cutaway
    2. 14 frets to the body
    3. Bass strings growl low and dirty
    4. Treble strings sing like a canary
    'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    edited November 2022
    Deleted

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/69464/om-acoustic-build-mark-bailey-course

Bloody hell Dave! Which page is the finished product on?
    Page 9.

And what a project.  Beautiful guitar and beyond impressive work.  

I cannot fathom the blend of patience, skill and knowledge that goes into building one’s own acoustic.  Knowing which tools to use, how to use them, keeping a tidy workspace, and everything else that goes into a long term project like that.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    edited November 2022
    I don’t know enough about guitars yet.  But I’ll try one.

12-fret cutaway Concert or Grand Concert.  Redwood top, mahogany back and sides.  Redwood-themed rosette and mountain peak-themed inlays on a Walnut fretboard.  Mahogany neck and dovetail neck joint.  Satin finish all around.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom