Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

EADGCF is more fun.

What's Hot
I'm not really a guitarist, I'm a bassist who just wants to have fun on guitar.

The stupid irregular third thing in standard tuning was annoying, so I just said sod it, and tuned it in 4ths all the way up, and honestly I think I'm just gonna do this from now on.

I get that I won't be able to play big 6 string chords as easily, but I don't really play them anyway because they are hard. Lol.

Just thought I'd check in with proper guitarists - any famous players who do this? Anyone else on here doing it? What are the disadvantages I'm missing?

I kind of like the idea of just doing my own thing, even if it's wrong, and my musical aesthetic is very much about not seeing limitations as limiting. All my favourite musicians are weird and janky.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8760
    It depends whether you’re playing single notes or chords.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Roland said:
    It depends whether you’re playing single notes or chords.
    Single notes, double stops, and power chords.

Just what I do on bass really, only smaller.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited December 2022
    The main obvious disadvantage as far as I can see is you'd be learning differently to other guitar players so it might make things difficult if you wanted to play with others or learn other people's tunes. Might be easier for you now, but harder in the long run.
    No reason why you can't make decent music like that though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This is known as quartal tuning. I know Deidre Cartwright tunes her guitar this way these days.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The main obvious disadvantage as far as I can see is you'd be learning differently to other guitar players so it might make things difficult if you wanted to play with others or learn other people's tunes. Might be easier for you now, but harder in the long run.
    No reason why you can't make decent music like that though.
  • I've literally never learned someone else's bassline. I find it very difficult.

I just suss out what the root notes are, and improvise a bassline using the shapes I know sound OK.

Imagine if I ever present myself as a guitarist to play with other people, as long as I can do that, I will always be able to play the power chords, and the fills that work with them, even if I'm tuned differently.
  • This is known as quartal tuning. I know Deidre Cartwright tunes her guitar this way these days.
    Thanks, I didn't know there was a name for it. Lol.

I googled her, and what she said about patterns and the fretboard making sense in terms of what you hear as interval is why I tried it.

The fact that there are working guitarists who've been doing it since the 80s tells me it's viable, so I guess I'm a quartal tuning guitarist now!
  • Tom Quayle is probably the most well-known current user of fourths tuning (at least in internet world).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex Hutchings is also a fairly well known 4ths guy. I think most players who use it will lean towards jazzy/fusiony widdlage: it’s not much good for bashing out ‘Highway to Hell’ down The Royal Oak ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10725
    This is known as quartal tuning. I know Deidre Cartwright tunes her guitar this way these days.

And Ant Law
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4203
    Ashley Hutchings tunes that way too, Holdsworth is on record wishing that he’d done it yrs ago, the biggest drawback I can see is on barre chords where you can’t double up the E strings 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10455
    I invented (or at least I think I did) a string tree that has 2 notches, one for regular B and a deeper one for C ... trouble is it has to go in a certain place and the groove has to be filed a certain depth to suit the string gauge and guitar it's going on. 
    I have an idea of using a cam shaped device that can be turned and set but haven't made one yet. 

You can just install another string tree with a deeper angle to raise to C ... you can actually just tuck it under before the song or before the solo.

Trouble is the E is now a maj3 not a 4th but I quite like that.  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    edited December 2022
    Cowboy chords don't work as well in 4ths tuning, but it makes a lot of sense for playing a certain way  especially with power chording and single line stuff on electric. Given the choice I'd love to always have an acoustic parked in DADGAD or CGCGAD a Strat tuned in Eb "standard" tuning, another electric in 4ths in addition to others in standard tuning/drop D. That's before I look at dusting off the 12 String, lap steel and Resonator. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • When I teach Coldplay's "The Scientist" to more advanced players this is the tuning I use for the chord shapes. The ringing C and F strings make a nice ringing sound to fill it out more. Sounds great. Though I don't use the tuning much other than that.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Danny1969 said:
    I invented (or at least I think I did) a string tree that has 2 notches, one for regular B and a deeper one for C ... trouble is it has to go in a certain place and the groove has to be filed a certain depth to suit the string gauge and guitar it's going on. 
    I have an idea of using a cam shaped device that can be turned and set but haven't made one yet. 

You can just install another string tree with a deeper angle to raise to C ... you can actually just tuck it under before the song or before the solo.

Trouble is the E is now a maj3 not a 4th but I quite like that.  

I remember a device similar to what @Danny1969 describes being advertised in US guitar mags in the late 80s/early 90s. Maybe I can dig out an old issue and post a pic.
    Deidre Cartwright.......had a bit of a crush on her as a younger feller. 
    Deidre Cartwright.......had a bit of a crush on her as a younger feller. 
    She's still a good guitarist.... seen her several times in the last few years as she's the guitarist in ARQ ( Alison Rayner Quartet).
  • I must admit my first thought was “is it more fun or is this just a bassist who doesn’t want to learn any new patterns?”
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I must admit my first thought was “is it more fun or is this just a bassist who doesn’t want to learn any new patterns?”
    Fresh eyes though...it's a valuable viewpoint.
    A bass player reckoning up the string intervals: 4th, 4th, 4th, maj 3rd...wtf...why would you do that?!!

So it's a great way to keep bass players from transferring to lead ;)

It's also a cracking idea *if* you can let go of traditional chord shapes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Stanley Jordan did this as well, I think popularised it for jazz/ jazz fusion playing. 
    You may remember Stanley from his cameo in the Bruce Willis film Blind Date. That’s how far this tuning can get you! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom