Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

EADGCF is more fun.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Stanley Jordan did this as well, I think popularised it for jazz/ jazz fusion playing. 
    You may remember Stanley from his cameo in the Bruce Willis film Blind Date. That’s how far this tuning can get you! 
    Amazing...I only remember when Brian from Family Guy got his cameo in the Bruce Willis film Die Hard:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited December 2022
    There are loads of Fourth tuning players, even on this forum, even me for over 12 years, I won't go back to standard tuning.

Here's a link:

Here is a relaxing video showing my technique.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    A discussion of 4th Tuning with Tom Quayle and Ant Law, both tune in 4ths.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    Stanley Jordan did this as well, I think popularised it for jazz/ jazz fusion playing. 
    You may remember Stanley from his cameo in the Bruce Willis film Blind Date. That’s how far this tuning can get you! 
    It’s wild watching him play piano and guitar at the same time 
    edited February 2023
    Graham Young was a 4th tuning innovator, he has been teaching guitar in Leeds for years.

He was Tom Quayle's inspiration and many others, I've met quite a few of his acolytes over the years.

Graham Young is a great player too.

• joeWjoeW Frets: 463
    I have been a little put off by p4 tuning and when i think why, my reasoning is mostly one of 'i'd have to go backwards a long way before making progress'.  But, if I'm honest, its also because none of the players i like use it, and because i don't own a headless 7 string.  These last reasons are pretty daft.

Put another way - If P4 was standard tuning and you suggested the current format, people would think you were barking.  

So - am going to give it a try and see what I think.  If it helps my comping sound like Mccoy Tyner, I will making it permanent.  
    I won't be able to start for a few weeks, but I'll respond if anything good comes of it.  

• I think Devin Townsend does something like this tuning up in 4ths from C
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ