Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Cheap parlours: are Fender & Gretsch any good

What's Hot

Comments

• rossirossi Frets: 1703
    DiscoStu said:
    Hope you find the cause @Yorkie as it sounds like you've found the right guitar for you.
    I can't decide between the mahogany or the black. Maybe the black. I'll probably go for the P20e just so I have amp options.

I got the black "tuxedo" mainly as at the time it was on offer    but I am glad I did .It looks great sitting in a cozy  chair in the front room and matches our  Tibetan  terrorist .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1506
    I got the black one because my wife didn’t like the others, and seeing as she wanted to make it a present… it looks good, and I think I would have been happy with any of the other models. The pickup is very good too, although it takes a 9V battery — my old Yamaha didn’t need power. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

Yorkie said:
    I got the black one because my wife didn’t like the others, and seeing as she wanted to make it a present… it looks good, and I think I would have been happy with any of the other models. The pickup is very good too, although it takes a 9V battery — my old Yamaha didn’t need power. 

Looks like we both have our good ladies to thank for our luck .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    After a few months playing a set of 10s on the PRS, I can say that the buzz is still there, and I cannot really pinpoint where it's coming from. It's not the pegs, nut looks good, action is not too low (there's a gap at the 12th fret)... have contacted Peach. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Yorkie said:
    After a few months playing a set of 10s on the PRS, I can say that the buzz is still there, and I cannot really pinpoint where it's coming from. It's not the pegs, nut looks good, action is not too low (there's a gap at the 12th fret)... have contacted Peach. 
    Have you checked the battery compartment? I had a fender that buzzed, at first I couldn't find a cause or location. It turned out to be battery was vibrating when the guitar was being played. 
    Kilgore said:
    Yorkie said:
    Have you checked the battery compartment? I had a fender that buzzed, at first I couldn't find a cause or location. It turned out to be battery was vibrating when the guitar was being played. 
    Ok, that's a very interesting observation – will definitely try it without the battery (which came factory-installed). How did you sort the issue? 

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Yorkie said:
    Kilgore said:
    Yorkie said:
    Ok, that's a very interesting observation – will definitely try it without the battery (which came factory-installed). How did you sort the issue? 
    Took battery out then put it back sorted it. You could wedge a bit of cardboard in if required, if that is the problem of course.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7269
    edited May 2023
    The easiest test to see if it is the battery rattling/buzzing in the compartment is obviously what you said about completely removing the battery, but you could also push a couple of small bits of foam rubber down either side of the battery with something thin and perhaps also try a very thin piece of very squashy foam on the base of the battery before you clip the lip closed.
    Ok, it's not the battery. But I think I've found the culprit: I know I had tested this months ago and didn't really notice a difference, but I've just found that if I hold a finger against the pickup controls – accessible from the soundhole – and the cables coming out of it, the rattle/buzz goes away. Problem is, I don't think I can see any cables near the top or sides, but there's quite a few of them. No idea how to fix this. Kind of wish I had got the purely acoustic version... 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yorkie said:
    Interested how you got at peach?Took mine back yesterday fixed straight away no problem.
    Yorkie said:
    Interested how you got at peach?Took mine back yesterday fixed straight away no problem.
    They told me to put fresh strings on, did it, buzz still there. Told me to record a video, did it, but they said they could not hear the buzz (?). Told them I think it’s a loose cable, and they said they were going to check with their techs. Still waiting. 

Buzz still there. 

edited June 2023
    @rustneversleeps was that also a buzz/PRS issue? 

• Yorkie said:
    @rustneversleeps was that also a buzz/PRS issue? 
    Yes  Prs tonare parlour.It developed a buzz after a few weeks.It was inconsistent.I checked normal suspects battery etc no luck.I did notice on mine if you strum the strings then tip the guitar and it was there.Spoke to peach tech and sort of agreed it’s  cable problem.I also took photos of the inside of the guitar and no cable fixings.I went next day in person (which gonna help).They couldn’t be more helpful maybe they recognised me as an old customer I don’t know.Fixed it with cable sticky pads with hooks.I did walk out with another guitar though.Don’t give up as I think these guitars are nice for the price I really like mine worth preserving with.Good luck.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh wow. Yes, I’ll keep chasing this because the guitar is amazing. 

I have loosened the strings and taken a video of the insides. Here are a couple of stills:  

This one cable looks suspiciously close to the top: 

• Yorkie said:
    Oh wow. Yes, I’ll keep chasing this because the guitar is amazing. 

I have loosened the strings and taken a video of the insides. Here are a couple of stills:  

This one cable looks suspiciously close to the top: 

I’am not a betting man but it does look like that’s the problem.It’s a fiddly job but it can be done.The tech also said he’s had a few with this.Have you tried strumming it and let it ring then turn it upside down.I Agree that although a cheapie their a nice playing little guitar.
    hope this helps.

I've managed to pull the cables together with a plastic cable tie. Incredibly fiddly to do, but I believe I've finally got rid of the buzz. Bad news for my fingers, because my first reaction has been to play non-stop for two hours :scream: 

That said, I think this is my last electro-acoustic. No more cables from now on. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5458
    They couldn’t be more helpful maybe they recognised me as an old customer I don’t know.Fixed it with cable sticky pads with hooks.I did walk out with another guitar though
    Oh dear. You are a sad case, Mr Pot.

Signed Mr Kettle

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 199
    edited June 2023
    Tannin said:
    They couldn’t be more helpful maybe they recognised me as an old customer I don’t know.Fixed it with cable sticky pads with hooks.I did walk out with another guitar though
    Oh dear. You are a sad case, Mr Pot.

Signed Mr Kettle

Jog on.

Mr Fosters
    Correction: unless this one breaks beyond repair, this will be my last acoustic, electro or not.
    The sheer pleasure of playing this thing without a buzz trailing every note :scream: 
    I put 10s on it and it's even more comfortable. Sounds almost identical to when it had the factory 12s, but bends are easier now. 

I put 10's on mine too  .Love it