Sergei de Jonge guitars - anybody owned/played one?

What's Hot
Has anybody owned/played a Sergei de Jonge guitar?  I've only recently come across them, quite by accident whilst looking for a review on McNally OMs. 

After doing a bit of google searching, I've heard some really great examples of De Jonge guitars, and it could have sparked some serious GAS issues!!

I'm curious about the French Polish finish, and how well it stands up to ear and tear (compared to Nitro finish) and also what they're like from a playability point of view.  They seem to project wonderfully, but I'm wondering if that comes as a result of being a 'stiff' action with high string tension.  Would love to hear the thoughts of anybody that owns (or owned) one.

The video I first stumbled across, by the way, was this one - a battle between the De Jonge and a McNally

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Based on that video I would definitely choose the de Jong but I played one once and was not very impressed with it. Do you have a specific guitar in mind or is this just a general enquiry?

Also, I would expect a new de Jong to cost a lot more than a McNally and be much harder to sell if it didn't suit you. Keep a look out for a second hand one, they occasionally come up at a good price.
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 76
    Interesting to hear, thanks.  What didn't you like about it?

I've not got a specific guitar in mind, but I've been impressed by the warmth and resonance of the tone from the ones I've seen online.  There's a few for sale at TFOA, but they're up in the 5-10K price range for used models, so out of my range.  Maybe keep my eyes peeled for a private sale.
  • I don't remember anything specific about it, just that it wasn't as impressive as I had expected it to be. Often it's just the guitar, I find they are so individual.
    I would suggest that you go to TFOA for a visit, they are lovely people and that way you can really compare guitars for yourself.

To address your other question french polish is a lovely finish, but it really doesn't stand up to wear and tear at all. I have one guitar with a french polished top and it wears away and marks easily. They say it's an easy finish to restore,  but that only works if the original luthier is local. Ciaran McNally sprays his guitars personally and uses a very robust yet thin finish.
    Thanks Malcolm, great feedback especially on the finish.  Would dearly love a visit to TFOA! Bit of a guitar mecca!
  • tomjax said:
    Thanks Malcolm, great feedback especially on the finish.  Would dearly love a visit to TFOA! Bit of a guitar mecca!
    It's well worth a visit and it's an easy trip. You just walk from the plane to the train at Amsterdam Airport and someone from TFOA will pick you up at Dedemsvaart Station. I had a great weekend there a few years ago.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 240
    edited January 2023
    tomjax said:
    Has anybody owned/played a Sergei de Jonge guitar?  After doing a bit of google searching, I've heard some really great examples of De Jonge guitars, and it could have sparked some serious GAS issues!!
    I played at least one at TAMCO when Trevor sold steel-strings. It didn’t stand out to me, but then Trevor had walls full of fabulous guitars, so it was very difficult for any to rise eabove the crowd.

I’ve owned quite a few “uber” acoustics from across the pond and, ultimately, have come to the conclusion that we have so many great luthiers in this country, you can achieve what you want far closer to home. Have you checked out the home grown crop of sole luthiers? 5k would easily get you a fabulous instrument, built to your specs.
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 240
    PS: I have several french-polished guitars and they have remained flawless. In contrast, a mate marks his up pretty quickly. So, depends how you handle your instruments. There’s no doubt it’s a relatively fragile finish though.
    @steveh thanks for the feedback and thoughts. Useful to hear from somebody else that has played one. I do have a couple of UK luthier built guitars and I hear what you're saying, I just found myself quite taken with the tone of the SdJs that I've heard, and I'm intrigued to try one. I appreciate the feedback on the French Polish finish too. Thanks again.
  • Hi.  A friend has had a Spruce/Braz De Jonge for over three years now.  He's a high-rotation gear slut, so the fact that he still has it speaks volumes !  It has a deep, clear voice, with that high end shimmer you get with Braz.  It also has a lot of bloom after the initial attack, which is great if your style calls for that kind of thing.

Here it is in action.

Good luck with your hunt !

edited January 2023
    @DeftTungsman Many thanks for the comments. That sounds lovely, and the tone is right up my street! Will definitely have to keep the search going...  Thanks again.