SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: Firewire Interface (and advice required)

What's Hot
I’ve dug out a decent (but older) Intel 27” IMac running High Sierra with the notion of setting it up for recording some band rehearsals.

Any recommendations/availability re. cheap-ish  compatible Firewire interfaces? 

Don’t mind a mixer format (Alesis/Tascam, etc) or rack (Focusrite Safire, etc).

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• How many preamps do you need, or do you have a mixer with preamp outs already?

Of the top of my head.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334670367986?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=11VzhejBTLC&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=tXAsncnbQFC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Deffo check compatibility.

• SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    I use an M-Audio firework 410, currently only for audio out for watching movies in the lounge, but I made good use of it with a full midi studio setup for years, a solid performer and they'll be cheap as chips now. 
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 346
    Firewire is a bit outdated now, but I still use it for the same reasons you are planning to.
    I use several oldish interfaces, and they all work well with OSX once set up:
    Alesis Multimix 12
    Alesis iMultimix 8 (both these need a bit of software jiggery pokery as the drivers are theoretically not compatible, but they can be forced to work)
    LC Electronic Desktop Connect 6 (simple and easy to set up and use)
    M-Audio DMP-3 (ditto, plus it has two old-school Vu-type level meters which I like)
    Good luck!
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 346
    edited December 2022
    PS some of these may be obsolete by now, but they are mostly available via eBay and they will all be cheap
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 511
    edited December 2022
    I've got an Audient id14 (v1) I'm going to list soon

Edit: apologies, not FireWire but usb

• Thanks all!

Will do some digging around on eBay. 

:)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• If you can find a TC Impact Twin, they're absolutely bloody excellent. Probably the best interface I've ever used. Great onboard DSP too - the monitoring reverb's great, and the compression is absolutely top-notch. Also has ADAT in and out, so you can add another 8 inputs and outputs if you want.

Even better, when you no longer have Firewire, you can use it as a damn good preamp (including the compressor and reverb).
    <space for hire>
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18824
    I have an M-Audio Firewire Solo in great condition that you can have if you wanted it?
    Original CD's are damaged, but you can download old software if you need it.
    Yours for the price of postage  :)
  • You can pick up Metric Halo interfaces for a decent price on the used market now. A ULN-2 has 2 inputs but also adat to add more channels. The 2882 has 8 inputs and outputs, also adat.

They can be upgraded to usb-c as and when. They can also be configured to run dsp. Metric Halo support is excellent.

I’ve had my ULN-2 well over 10 years. It was FireWire and has now been upgraded to usb-c and the 3D (their latest generation dsp) which I use for processing mics or instruments on the way in. The company has a great ethos by creating modular/upgradable hardware for product longevity.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    edited January 2023
    I have an Apogee Duet (Firewire) used with my older Macbook - and works well with firewire / USB dongle (after the Macbook died and was replaced - thanks Apple warranty). Was state of the art at the time.........now state of the ark but pristine and boxed / break out cables + spares etc (tried to embed an image but fell on my face on first attempt - will persevere later)

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7151
    I have a Mackie Onyx Desk, which is Firewire, working on an M1 Mac mini. Most Firewire stuff on Mac has Core Audio support and so it will work on most modern OS setups.

Though MOTU tend not to, as they had their own drivers for multi channel audio. 

But, if you are running an old Firewire Mac then that is not an issue anyway.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• JGCJGC Frets: 157
    I've got this which would work brilliantly for band recording as well as gigs ... it was the heart of my studio setup and sounds brilliant ...https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/220784/fs-a-h-zed-r16-firewire-mixer-interface-for-recording-live-little-labs-reamp-fatman-valve-comp/p1
  • Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14463
    edited January 2023
    Any recommendations/ availability re. cheap-ish  compatible Firewire interfaces? 
    Q1) How ancient is your iMac? 
    Q2) Is its FW socket 400 or 800?
    Q3) Is your iMac recent enough to have any Thunderbolt sockets?

This will determine what cables and driver software you require.

My set-up is:
    MOTU Ultralite mk3,
    FW400-to-800 cable,
    FW800-to-TB adapter
    Mac TB socket

To get this jerry rig to work, I had to install driver software for the MOTU UL3 Hybrid model for my OS. I also had to tweak a line of code that Apple writes to prevent old peripherals working with newer host computers.

Q4) What USB socket types does your Mac have?

I have a MOTU Audio Express (FW400 & fast USB) I/O box that I should not have bought. How many input channels will you require?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Any recommendations/ availability re. cheap-ish  compatible Firewire interfaces? 
    Q1) How ancient is your iMac? 
    Q2) Is its FW socket 400 or 800?
    Q3) Is your iMac recent enough to have any Thunderbolt sockets?

This will determine what cables and driver software you require.

My set-up is:
    MOTU Ultralite mk3,
    FW400-to-800 cable,
    FW800-to-TB adapter
    Mac TB socket

To get this jerry rig to work, I had to install driver software for the MOTU UL3 Hybrid model for my OS. I also had to tweak a line of code that Apple writes to prevent old peripherals working with newer host computers.

Did you use the Apple FW adapters or just generic ones? I'm getting a bit pissed off having to email Audient and wait 5 days for them to email me the new firmware when it's needed.  I might try my Motu as stand alone instead of ADAT
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418
    If it's running High Sierra then you will probably find it's a 2011, 2012 ish iMac and  it has a thunderbolt port as well as a firewire 800
    For recording band rehearsals properly you need about 8 inputs .... Pref with 8 mic pre's so maybe an older MOTU 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Not FireWire but just unearthed my Tascam US 122 which doesn’t work on windows 7 or above but you can have it for the price of a stamp
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14463
    edited January 2023
    Funkfingers said: 
    FW400-to-800 cable,
    FW800-to-TB adapter
    Did you use the Apple FW adapters or just generic ones? 
    Generic cable. Apple adapter.

There is no OS 10.15 driver software for the FW-only Ultralite mk3. The UL3 Hybrid driver worked right away.

I need to read up on the kernel tweak that allows a twelve year old device to run on a computer that lacks the necessary sockets to support it. 

This evening, I shall test the Audio Express Hybrid via its FireWire socket. I dislike having to use a wall wart PSU.

Danny1969 said:
    For recording band rehearsals properly, you need about 8 inputs .... Pref with 8 mic pre's so, maybe, an older MOTU 
    For the sort of line-up that I imagine H7 working with, this is correct.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.